SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:36 AM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by essar View Post
I did a watt test with an apc 10x10 and I was gettin around 480 watts drawing around 35 amps. I don't feel like this is the correct prop choice though...can anyone suggest a better prop size? I think the motor is equivalent to a power 25 and eflite recommends 11x7 to 13x6. What are you power 25 guys running on your 4s setups? Thanks

Essar.
I couldn't find your motor with a quick Google search. It would be good to know the amp and watt limits... I have a 10x10 on 4s motor and 11x7 on a 5s motor, also have a 11x5.5 on a 4s but, each one is a different motor and plane.
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4
Last edited by scootrb4; Jul 26, 2012 at 08:44 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:07 AM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
Quote:
Lt. Col. Glenn T. Eagleston 353 fighter squadron, 354 fighter group.
Very cool. My wife's great uncle flew a P47 (well, a couple of them since he had to ditch at least one) in the 396th FS. I can't find any pics of his nose art yet, but apparently the 396th always had a yellow theme on the cowl that's similar to your plane.

For example:

jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:14 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2012
171 Posts
j very cool, That is a really neat connection, you should paint one up as a tribute. the best source for paint schemes I have found is http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/350/3/0#200 "wings palette" Good luck with your search.
scootrb4 I think HK discontinued this motor so I am not sure what it is rated at, I know I have used it for 4s setups in the past. I just picked up a xoar 11x6 so hopefully that will work okay.I used that propellor calculator site and it said around 11x5 was optimal...? I guess i'll just have to wait and see how she performs in the air. Thanks for your help.
Essar.
essar is offline Find More Posts by essar
Old Jul 26, 2012, 04:56 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,491 Posts
essar, Nice pictures of your P-47.
I run an 12X6 APC prop on my E-Flite Power 25 (Ultra Stick 25). But I fly it on 3S, TP-3S-2200-30C

By the way, can I trust the E-Flite stock 30 amp Esc to power the four servos plus the E-Flite electric retracts? This ESC is supposed to have switch Bec. Or should I just power everything with a CC 10 amp BEC?

there is a LOT of prop shaft offset to the right. Is this normal to counteract P-factor?
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Last edited by 320pilot; Jul 26, 2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 05:27 PM
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Nov 2011
340 Posts
Need a plan view too

Quote:
j very cool, That is a really neat connection, you should paint one up as a tribute. the best source for paint schemes I have found is http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/350/3/0#200 "wings palette" Good luck with your search.
scootrb4 I think HK discontinued this motor so I am not sure what it is rated at, I know I have used it for 4s setups in the past. I just picked up a xoar 11x6 so hopefully that will work okay.I used that propellor calculator site and it said around 11x5 was optimal...? I guess i'll just have to wait and see how she performs in the air. Thanks for your help.
Essar.
Great site for warbird paint schemes. Too bad they do not include a top down view on the paint schemes as well. Would really help I think.
Rangie5169 is offline Find More Posts by Rangie5169
Old Jul 26, 2012, 05:38 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2012
171 Posts
I think you'll be okay, I had 6 servos plus retracts on the stock esc.
The right thrust angle is just to compensate for propellor torque as you said, this perfectly normal.
thanks for your comments, I'm gonna try the 11x6 and see how it goes. I have never tried a zoar prop so I am excited about that.
Rangie, the hardest part of a scale project can be finding good documentation.
Essar.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 05:53 PM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
Quote:
Essar.
I think I will. What paints to you recommend to use to paint it? I have no paint equipment at the moment, so likely spray cans/masking will work best for now.
jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996
Old Jul 26, 2012, 05:55 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
Joined Nov 2011
3,207 Posts
320pilot, I used the stock control for a 4s set up that pulled enough amps to go very fast, & operate eflite retracts but ....... wiser pilots than me told me to swap it out so I did after 30 + flights... Now I'm running an Eflite 60 with no worries
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:46 PM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor996 View Post
I think I will. What paints to you recommend to use to paint it? I have no paint equipment at the moment, so likely spray cans/masking will work best for now.
I have use Krylon Fusion Few times and have a very good finish.
DaxFX is online now Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:49 PM
Norway, Oslo
Joined Apr 2011
123 Posts
Quick question guys. Broke off one retract and broke my cowl on a rough landing.

Retract is fine, just need to glue it back one. But I'm wondering because I saw that it was glued to the wing in only a few spots (probably for it not to destroy the wing on a rough landing).

So what's the best way and glue to use to glue it back on? Uhu-Por strong enough?
tk240381 is online now Find More Posts by tk240381
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:21 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2012
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor996 View Post
I would also recommend krylon fusion, careful to use low tack masking tape as the paint will pull off very easily, good luck with your paint job and please post some pics when your done.

Essar.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:56 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Use wet newspaper or printer paper to mask off your paint job. Works Great.
When using Kyrlon Fusion or any other spray paint, Dust the first coat on and let it dry berfore you lay down a heavy coat.
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:40 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrb4 View Post
320pilot, I used the stock control for a 4s set up that pulled enough amps to go very fast, & operate eflite retracts but ....... wiser pilots than me told me to swap it out so I did after 30 + flights... Now I'm running an Eflite 60 with no worries

thanks,
I will check the Amps and Watts with my E-Flite Watt meter. Initially will fly stock prop and 3S Lipos, so not worried about the ESC per say. Just the internal switching Bec

Did my first low power engine run tonight, in the living room. Will check motor at WOT on the porch tomorrow.
If anybody wants the transmitter setup for the 8FG, and where I plug in each servo in the Futaba R6106HFC Rx, let me know. I have each aileron servo on it's own channel.
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Last edited by 320pilot; Jul 26, 2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:59 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
Joined Nov 2011
3,207 Posts
FYI fellow spray can painters Fusion makes a primer that works wonders It dries almost instantly and lays down a nice flat surface which stops your paint from bleeding through... primer available in white for light colors ( I used this for yellow) and gray.
I just discovered this today & I thought ya'll might
Enjoy...

That's a good looking Sea Fury, Pilot. But you gotta wonder whats up with that jagged LE !? Can somebody explain the advantage of that over a straight line or did they just have a bunch of left over wing tips from something else they needed to use ~ LOL
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:32 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Feb 2009
377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320pilot View Post
essar, Nice pictures of your P-47.
I run an 12X6 APC prop on my E-Flite Power 25 (Ultra Stick 25). But I fly it on 3S, TP-3S-2200-30C

By the way, can I trust the E-Flite stock 30 amp Esc to power the four servos plus the E-Flite electric retracts? This ESC is supposed to have switch Bec. Or should I just power everything with a CC 10 amp BEC?

there is a LOT of prop shaft offset to the right. Is this normal to counteract P-factor?
Its good insurance to put in a better esc. I myself would not fly with your set-up but then if it works................
actflyer is offline Find More Posts by actflyer