HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:37 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,963 Posts
Every "Normal" plane I get, I always set my maiden dual rates to 70/20 on all surfaces and then work my way to what feels best as I feel the plane out. Usually less. Then I set my rate switches for highest to lowest. This way when I'm rusty or not feeling on ( I know you all have had those kind of days), I'll start my 1st flight of the morning with my lower warm up rates, then go to my high rate when I'm gett'n in the zone

There's always an exception though. If you guys have ever flown one of those cool mini Funfighter Warbirds, you damn well better start out with some really low rates, like 60/40. Man those little guys scream and fly like on rails.
Blu
Bluhammer is online now Find More Posts by Bluhammer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:59 PM
Fly and let Fly!
United States, CO, Grand Junction
Joined May 2010
2,045 Posts
I had a dog named Blu... Spelled the same too... Border Terrier... tough little S*it!
Cocg is online now Find More Posts by Cocg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Updating Hangar (a little)
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:09 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
3,188 Posts
I've seen some bomb drops devised by some of the guys back in this thread, pretty creative stuff fer sure... was wondering if anyone has come across one that doesnt require master building skills, more of a plug-n-drop

I'm dying to do something like that with the P-47 or some larger birds in the hangar... I ordered up the HobbyKing setup to mount to my 1400mm planes but its too big really, I could still use it but it's bigger then I thought it would be once it arrived... and of course is waaaay too big for the P-47, but something along those lines but a lot smalled version is what I'm hoping for...

this would be perfect if it was 1/3 the size it is:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10624
HuffDaddy is online now Find More Posts by HuffDaddy
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:59 PM
AMA 884978 KKN6KY
United States, CA, Barstow
Joined May 2007
2,242 Posts
HuffDaddy - when I wanted to do a bomb drop I thought long and hard before I came up with the method I did. I originally wanted to use magnets (you know every burned out motor you have has rare earth magnets IN it don't you?) But I could never figure out a way to get them to release reliably. So I came up with the one I did. It really does NOT require a lot of skill to make a set and (my original goal) they require NO additional servos (if you already have flaps) to operate. The set can be made for less than $10 including the fake bombs.

Hillbille
hillbille is online now Find More Posts by hillbille
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:04 PM
AMA 884978 KKN6KY
United States, CA, Barstow
Joined May 2007
2,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuffDaddy View Post

this would be perfect if it was 1/3 the size it is:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10624
That thing is terrible in SO MANY ways. It is on a scale of 1/3 or so. The release mechanism is very large and does not resemble ANY military mechanisms I've seen. The "bomb" is only good for ONE drop from ANY altitude or speed. The outer shell will disintegrate on impact - no matter what you do. Make your own and you will be MUCH happier!

Hillbille
hillbille is online now Find More Posts by hillbille
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:28 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
3,188 Posts
OoooK, ya got my attention... I'm off to your blog and any posts you have on the bomb drop dealio
HuffDaddy is online now Find More Posts by HuffDaddy
Old Jul 25, 2012, 09:10 PM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,296 Posts
Cool photo from today trip.

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343268598.605403.jpg
Views: 84
Size: 84.1 KB
Description:
DaxFX is online now Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old Jul 25, 2012, 09:34 PM
Shut up and fly
United States, CO, Firestone
Joined Jun 2008
10,424 Posts
nice i like it
papabatman is offline Find More Posts by papabatman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: fun with a parkzone
Old Jul 25, 2012, 09:47 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2012
171 Posts
I am currently putting together on of these, I glassed it and painted it. I am using a turnigy 4042 outrunner with 900kv on 4s. I hope it will fly okay because I am sure I've added quite alot of weight.
Do you guys think this power system will be adequate...maybe overkill? The only other one I had was stock and it flew nice. I just used a power system I happened to have on hand, hope it works out, thanks guys.

Essar.
essar is offline Find More Posts by essar
Old Jul 25, 2012, 09:56 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2012
171 Posts
Here are a few pictures of my old one. This plane actually inspired me to build a top flit kit version too!
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:04 PM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
Is that yellow paint job from the 396th fighter squadron (368th fighter group)?
jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996
Old Jul 26, 2012, 05:12 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2012
171 Posts
Lt. Col. Glenn T. Eagleston 353 fighter squadron, 354 fighter group.
Last edited by essar; Jul 26, 2012 at 06:23 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:21 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
That is some good stuff, watched the video then clicked on the build link to your website and it comes up 404 Page Not Found. Did you happen to take it off of your site?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbille View Post
HuffDaddy - when I wanted to do a bomb drop I thought long and hard before I came up with the method I did. I originally wanted to use magnets (you know every burned out motor you have has rare earth magnets IN it don't you?) But I could never figure out a way to get them to release reliably. So I came up with the one I did. It really does NOT require a lot of skill to make a set and (my original goal) they require NO additional servos (if you already have flaps) to operate. The set can be made for less than $10 including the fake bombs.

Hillbille
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:53 AM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by essar View Post
I am currently putting together on of these, I glassed it and painted it. I am using a turnigy 4042 outrunner with 900kv on 4s. I hope it will fly okay because I am sure I've added quite alot of weight.
Do you guys think this power system will be adequate...maybe overkill? The only other one I had was stock and it flew nice. I just used a power system I happened to have on hand, hope it works out, thanks guys.

Essar.
I put that motor in a 4.75 pound plane with a 3 blade prop on 5s and smoked it plain and simple
The jug offers good cooling and weighs less. I suggest you watt test your setup...
scootrb4 is online now Find More Posts by scootrb4
Old Jul 26, 2012, 07:18 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2012
171 Posts
I did a watt test with an apc 10x10 and I was gettin around 480 watts drawing around 35 amps. I don't feel like this is the correct prop choice though...can anyone suggest a better prop size? I think the motor is equivalent to a power 25 and eflite recommends 11x7 to 13x6. What are you power 25 guys running on your 4s setups? Thanks

Essar.