HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2012, 01:26 AM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrodgers View Post
Question on how a warbird flies, or how you control a warbird, particularly this P-47....

My experience is a pod and boom high wing I learned on and my current micro T-28. Been flying them for a long time, but these are my only individual plane experiences. My question is with climb and throttle.

Both of these planes climb with throttle. Are warbirds like the P-47 similar, just maybe not to the same extent?

I always read the "it will fly where you point it" comments. Thus, say if you have this aircraft perfectly balanced and you trim say 50% throttle to fly straight and level, what happens when you are making a pass at 50% throttle and decide to go full throttle with no other inputs? Does it stay level and just speed up or will it begin to climb slightly?

Just something I was always curious about. To what extent will it "fly where you point it?" Just trying to get more of an idea on how a warbird flies before I would buy one.
I trim at 5/8th to 3/4ths throttle because that is where I fly mostly. So when I come by for a high speed low pass I am pushing her down a little, when I let off the elevator the bird lifts up. Somebody else may not like that... but I was shown to trim where you fly mostly....makes sense to me.
On the other hand I flew a gas plane and I was shown you have to constantly adjust trim as the fuel is burned off and the weight changes.
Don't be afraid, come on in, the water is fine...
scootrb4 is online now Find More Posts by scootrb4
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2012, 06:45 AM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrb4 View Post
I trim at 5/8th to 3/4ths throttle because that is where I fly mostly. So when I come by for a high speed low pass I am pushing her down a little, when I let off the elevator the bird lifts up. Somebody else may not like that... but I was shown to trim where you fly mostly....makes sense to me.
On the other hand I flew a gas plane and I was shown you have to constantly adjust trim as the fuel is burned off and the weight changes.
Don't be afraid, come on in, the water is fine...
+1, you trim for the speed you fly most. On our planes there is a lot of thrustline offset on the motors, so much that its a question we get on here a lot "is my plane ok as it looks kinda strange". This is built in so that to some extent adding power will result in no trim change. Now we cant build in the perfect amount every time, and a lot of people change props, motors etc so the stock set up is just nice out of the box, not perfect but close enough. When you take the plunge and get a warbird you will find it flys faster and further than you micro, in fact further real quick. I tend to trim for mid throttle and that suits me, landings with flap and retracts are then just level wings keep her staright with rudder and as you drop the throttle start to add the up elevator and at the last moment flare for a nice landing..........like that happens all the time..lol. If you trim for high speed flight the landing then has elevator held in all the way round the circuit and increases you workload. To be honest though as stock all the PZ stuff is easy to fly and the trim change is quite small.

Dave
dav3uk is online now Find More Posts by dav3uk
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:15 AM
Joined Mar 2009
2,531 Posts
mrodgers wrote;
Quote:
I always read the "it will fly where you point it" comments. Thus, say if you have this aircraft perfectly balanced and you trim say 50% throttle to fly straight and level, what happens when you are making a pass at 50% throttle and decide to go full throttle with no other inputs? Does it stay level and just speed up or will it begin to climb slightly?

Just something I was always curious about. To what extent will it "fly where you point it?" Just trying to get more of an idea on how a warbird flies before I would buy one.
here is a short video clip of another warbird , my Sea Fury, being flown at 50 %throttle. At WOT, the elevator becomes a bit more sensitive, but basically, it flies where I point it.
RC Hawker Sea Fury maiden flight (3 min 20 sec)

Check out the more recent video clip of the Sea Fury launch, and my friend launching his P-51. These birds are very easy to launch, we launch them here at WOT.
Hawker Sea Fury and P-51 launch (1 min 1 sec)
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Last edited by 320pilot; Jul 24, 2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:53 AM
west coast flyer
Joined May 2012
331 Posts
Well I got tired of waiting for the retracts & flap servos to arrive, so I decided to take her out for the maiden the other day

P 47 maiden hd (2 min 44 sec)
emeraldc is offline Find More Posts by emeraldc
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:20 PM
I can fix it.
Cochranton, Pa.
Joined Nov 2005
1,414 Posts
Speed and lift

320pilot,

what happens when you are making a pass at 50% throttle and decide to go full throttle with no other inputs?

As speed increases the lift increases and it will climb. You may not notice it much, but it will. When you trim a plane, you are triming the airspeed, not the atitude. If you apply more power and no control input it will maintain that airspeed and climb. If you cut power it will maintain that airspeed and descend.
The real secret to flying full size planes is when you realize that the control stick controls the airspeed and the throttle controls your attitude.

You already know this. When you sense your plane is about to stall, you don't instictively apply power, you get the nose down ( I hope ). You actually want to do both, but being careful of the torque that adding sudden power will cause.
nageotte is offline Find More Posts by nageotte
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:22 PM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,749 Posts
You always have the elevator to throtle mix.
DaxFX is online now Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old Jul 24, 2012, 04:14 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nageotte View Post
320pilot,

what happens when you are making a pass at 50% throttle and decide to go full throttle with no other inputs?

As speed increases the lift increases and it will climb. You may not notice it much, but it will. When you trim a plane, you are triming the airspeed, not the atitude. If you apply more power and no control input it will maintain that airspeed and climb. If you cut power it will maintain that airspeed and descend.
The real secret to flying full size planes is when you realize that the control stick controls the airspeed and the throttle controls your attitude....
Well, I am not sure I agree with the last line. I should add that I generally use about 60% expo on Elevator and 50% expo on Ailerons with the Warbirds and Warmliners. So this expo reduces sensitivity around neutral. I may unconsciously trim the nose down a bit, on my SF when I go to WOT.

I always though pitch controls attitude, thrust level controls airspeed. There is an optimum attitude for any airspeed, on the Airbus "green dot" or minimum drag speed.
The last two aircraft I flew had autothrust engaged most of the time, Airbus 319/320 and B-767.
Last edited by 320pilot; Jul 24, 2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 04:44 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,326 Posts
That's a lot of dang expo! But hey, you're the one with a license to fly, not me LOL
I tried to fly with 40% expo once & dang near crashed up... every input was delayed and over board I know it's all in what you are used to, friend of mine has flown his whole life and can't fly with any of that new fangled expo!?

I have 3 position switches on my DX8 for ailerons, elevator, & rudder..... they are all set the same with just a little + on the rudder. 30,22,&15% expo. Those expose have corresponding rates of 85,92,100%. The most direct being 100% with 15% expo. I program all my planes (all warbirds) the same, this gives consistency from plane to plane with only their airframe characteristics making them different.
scootrb4 is online now Find More Posts by scootrb4
Old Jul 24, 2012, 04:52 PM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,749 Posts
60% expo are more for 3d's. You will be better to go no more than 15 to 20 expo and bring down the rates to have a more linear curve. To much expo can put you in trouble if too much input from stick.
DaxFX is online now Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:16 PM
I can fix it.
Cochranton, Pa.
Joined Nov 2005
1,414 Posts
Basic flying

[I always though pitch controls attitude, thrust level controls airspeed. There is an optimum attitude for any airspeed, on the Airbus "green dot" or minimum drag speed.
The last two aircraft I flew had autothrust engaged most of the time, Airbus 319/320 and B-767.[/QUOTE]

I was going to say ask a pilot, but it sounds like you are one. Remember a book called, "Stick and Rudder"? Really good basics. I think flying an Airbus is probably a lot differant than a C-172, or T-34. But. . .the next time you are in the air, trim the plane, realease the controls and increase power and report back to us. Hey. no autopilot!!

http://books.google.com/books/about/...d=zlaqYZYJZwQC Read the chapter titles.
nageotte is offline Find More Posts by nageotte
Last edited by nageotte; Jul 24, 2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:53 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nageotte View Post
[I always though pitch controls attitude, thrust level controls airspeed. There is an optimum attitude for any airspeed, on the Airbus "green dot" or minimum drag speed.
The last two aircraft I flew had autothrust engaged most of the time, Airbus 319/320 and B-767.
Quote:
I was going to say ask a pilot, but it sounds like you are one. Remember a book called, "Stick and Rudder"? Really good basics. I think flying an Airbus is probably a lot differant than a C-172, or T-34. But. . .the next time you are in the air, trim the plane, realease the controls and increase power and report back to us. Hey. no autopilot!!

http://books.google.com/books/about/...d=zlaqYZYJZwQC Read the chapter titles.
well. I don't want to drag this thread off topic. The Airbus is constantly "in trim", even with the autopilot off. So if you put it in a 15 or 30 degree bank, at a certain pitch attitude, it will maintain that pitch and roll attitude until you make another sidestick input.
I am trying to think back to my DC-9-32days, an aircraft you hand flew a lot more. Very nimble, like a sports car..To increase airspeed, one would increase thrust THEN as speed increased adjust/ reduce pitch to maintain the altitude or rate of climb/descent. To reduce airspeed, at a constant altitude, one would pull back the thrust a bit, then trim it a little nose up for the new thrust setting
But these were commercial airliners...

ps. now I know why my Sea Fury got a bit twitchy in pitch at WOT. I had no Expo on the elevator at all. I had accidentally put it on the rudder, not elev. 50% aileron, 40% elevator. That way I have full control travel if I need it, no dual rates necessary, or switches to remember when coming in to land. Probably why it loops so well too
My "faster" stuff, like the Alex XXL, or Flash 2 I have 60% expo on elevator and 60% on aileron.
Last edited by 320pilot; Jul 24, 2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 06:03 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Feb 2009
377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaxFX View Post
I like a lot hobbyking electronics like batteries ,esc, motors and some other stuff. But i dont want cheap retracts in my p47 after the bad experience with my fms corsair. So without a doubt i went to eflite rectracts.
I have eflite retracts in 3 of my planes and never had a problem.
actflyer is offline Find More Posts by actflyer
Old Jul 24, 2012, 06:07 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Feb 2009
377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkathner View Post
Justbe warned.....the Hobbyking V2 retracts are cheap for a reason....just got a set in the mail. Yes they drop straight into the wing sockets, but the grub screws (maybe the wrong term) that you are supposed to secure the landing gear arm with ( to stop the gear rotating in the retract housing) are, well, crap.

I cannot get the screws tight enough to hold the gear in place, resulting in the gear and wheel spinning freely whilst deployed. $25 lesson learned. Off to the LHS tommorrow for a set of eFlites.

Oh...and the pre-bent struts from Parkzone dont fit either.....
You don't need the pre-bent struts for the P-47 just use the struts that came with the eflite retracts and cut to size.
actflyer is offline Find More Posts by actflyer
Old Jul 24, 2012, 06:16 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,531 Posts
scootrb4,
thanks for advice on setting up the expo. just got my Parkzone P-47 now, unpacking the box!
Last edited by 320pilot; Jul 24, 2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 06:17 PM
Shut up and fly
United States, CO, Firestone
Joined Jun 2008
10,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkathner View Post
Justbe warned.....the Hobbyking V2 retracts are cheap for a reason....just got a set in the mail. Yes they drop straight into the wing sockets, but the grub screws (maybe the wrong term) that you are supposed to secure the landing gear arm with ( to stop the gear rotating in the retract housing) are, well, crap.

I cannot get the screws tight enough to hold the gear in place, resulting in the gear and wheel spinning freely whilst deployed. $25 lesson learned. Off to the LHS tommorrow for a set of eFlites.

Oh...and the pre-bent struts from Parkzone dont fit either.....
yes 2 ways to fix it. 1. is add another hole. tap it, and put 2 screws in, or put a flat spot on the rod for the grub screw to bite and hold
papabatman is offline Find More Posts by papabatman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: fun with a parkzone