HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:26 AM
Joined Mar 2009
2,400 Posts
DaxFX, actflyer
thanks for advice on the prebent struts and the pictures. I ended up adding the prebent struts to my order (for only $2.99) but may just keep them for spares. I do have a cordless Dremel, with cutting/grinding heads, to make a flat spot on the struts.
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:39 AM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by actflyer View Post
Don't bother with the prebent struts. Use the stock ones that come with retracts and cut to size with a dremel. Thats what I did and no problems.
+1 My pre bents were way out of wack on both the Jug and Spitfire.

Dave
dav3uk is offline Find More Posts by dav3uk
Old Jul 21, 2012, 02:54 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
2,996 Posts
I did not use prebents on my Spitfire or Thunderbolt, both were easy enough to install and close to 100 trouble free landings on both sets... 4 sorties this AM on the Thunderbolt.... boy is she a sweetheart or what!?
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4
Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:10 PM
AMA 884978 KKN6KY
United States, CA, Barstow
Joined May 2007
2,165 Posts
After giving it some thought I think (IMHO) what makes the P-47 SO popular is not only is it a great FLYING plane but also that it is "READY".

Buy one (PNP,RTF, or RAF) and just put it together bone stock and it is a really nice plane. It fly's larger than it is meaning it will handle a little more wind than others and it is docile while also being agile. Not every plane on the market can say that.

But to me the most distinguishing feature of the PZ P-47 is that it was manufactured "READY".

Stock it is "READY" to go.

Want retractable landing gear? It is "READY" for you to install them.

Want flaps? The P-47 is "READY" with them already molded AND the servo pockets are in place and "READY".

If the decals had NOT been installed but included - and several other variations been available THAT would have topped the cake perfectly!

The "READY" part is what I would like all manufacturers to "GET". I don't necessarily want to be forced to spend $300 to $600 for a plane that HAS all the features - which do NOT operate or work or worse yet will FAIL on the first flight. But having the ability to ADD options as I want them is a big plus for me.

Hillbille
hillbille is offline Find More Posts by hillbille
Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:48 PM
United States, PA, Butler
Joined Jun 2006
1,000 Posts
Now I sit here depressed, disappointed, and sad. It's a rare Saturday that Wifey is off work also, so we decided to take a ride. Drove over to Ohio, I never saw a Hobbytown USA and wanted to check it out. Kind of small, smaller than I expected but very clean and organized. Much different than the more local to work hobby shop where you slide sideways between the shelves and have to crane the neck up to see the boxes and boxes stacked on top of each other from shelf to ceiling.

Anyways, I've got a braces expense coming next week so I didn't spend the $300+ for the bird. I so wanted to, but did the smart thing. Too much other stuff I have to pay for in the near future. I just have to settle with the rest of the flying season watching my neighbor's flag for the wind to quit until it is too dark out there for my micro.

Wish I could join you all enjoying this bird. One good thing is I got to see one all put together. It is really amazing at how huge the normal size PZ warbirds appear when you've been looking and flying a micro for the last 2 years. It looked gigantic, LOL.
mrodgers is offline Find More Posts by mrodgers
Old Jul 21, 2012, 05:52 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
Joined Nov 2011
2,996 Posts
Mr Odgers, Don't be depressed, disappointed, and sad, you've got precious little children.... Me? No. I have rc planes Certainly you wouldn't trade!

I agree Hbilly, They are easy to put together and put up (as they say).... With a little bigger motor, ESC and speed controller you have all the power you could need for hard pulls and low passes still have the very evident stability (even at speed) that the other PZ warbirds do not retain as much when hotrodded.... The P47 is the go to bird in the bunch.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 08:44 PM
United States, PA, Butler
Joined Jun 2006
1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrb4 View Post
Mr Odgers, Don't be depressed, disappointed, and sad, you've got precious little children.... Me? No. I have rc planes Certainly you wouldn't trade!
Come spend an hour in the restaurant with them. Certainly was ready to trade them today. In fact, didn't need anything for trade, would have just accepted the "free to a good home", LOL
mrodgers is offline Find More Posts by mrodgers
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:32 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,293 Posts
Quote:
I did not use prebents on my Spitfire or Thunderbolt, both were easy enough to install and close to 100 trouble free landings on both sets... 4 sorties this AM on the Thunderbolt.... boy is she a sweetheart or what!?
+1 scootrb with flaps and e-flite retracts the p-47 is awsome.I mostly practiced/enjoyed landings early this a.m. Dailed in and the pz p-47 flys like a dream! Oh,in case you guys haven't herd..........PARKZONE RULES!!!
kevin whitesell is offline Find More Posts by kevin whitesell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-Flite Hurricane
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:39 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,293 Posts
Scootrb- thanks for the offer to do some photo shoping for me ...this is kind of embarassing to admit but i don't know how to send an e-mail or pics by e-mail! NO REALLY I DON'T I JUST GOT INTERNET LAST FALL!I'm really technically impaired! My keyboarding has improved,web serfing and i know how to check my inbox for e-mail.Thanks for the offer though-kevin
kevin whitesell is offline Find More Posts by kevin whitesell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-Flite Hurricane
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:42 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
Joined Nov 2011
2,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin whitesell View Post
Scootrb- thanks for the offer to do some photo shoping for me ...this is kind of embarassing to admit but i don't know how to send an e-mail or pics by e-mail! NO REALLY I DON'T I JUST GOT INTERNET LAST FALL!I'm really technically impaired! My keyboarding has improved,web serfing and i know how to check my inbox for e-mail.Thanks for the offer though-kevin
Do you have pictures on your computer? If so you could upload them to email with just a little help. Heck they taught me to do it, anybody can learn... I suppose I could get them off RCG where you posted em Kev but, I was hoping for better quality than third hand images.. Shoot me a PM we will talk about it.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:33 AM
St. Louis
USA, MO, Ballwin
Joined Mar 2010
634 Posts
P-47

Quote:
I love the JUG but...the E-Flite retracts may or may not be "drop-ins". Mine needed several tweaks to the fore-aft position to nestle correctly in the wheel wells. This meant pulling the retract assembly, removing the strut, placing it in a vice and bending the strut to obtain correct clearance.

And...the "toe-in" on the gear is not locked in by the flats ground on the struts. My gear was grossly out of alignment and needed several tweaks to get her to roll straight.

The gear is reliable, sturdy and worth the price but expect to spend about an hour getting them set up correctly.
Foambird is offline Find More Posts by Foambird
Old Jul 22, 2012, 01:06 AM
No Guts, No Glory!
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
3,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin whitesell View Post

hey Kev... here's a little help on posting/uploading pics

=Posting Pics on a thread=

for those out there that need a tip on posting pics, here ya go!! if the pics are already on your computer it's cheesy easy to upload them to RCGroups and of course when doing so it automatically creates/makes a clickable thumbnail for us... its as easy as 1-2-3-4-5-6 to do

ya do it one time and you'll see how easy it is to do and it'll take (maybe) 20 secs to do and when ya see how easy it is you will find yourself looking for new pics to post

1. click the "Quote" button on any post, or at the bottom of the web page where it shows the "Quick Reply" section, click the "Go Advanced" button...

2. then click the "Manage Attachments" button...

3. then click one of the "Choose File" buttons and then navigate to the location (on your computer) of the picture file you are wanting to post...

4. then click the "Upload" button...the picture file will begin uploading and you'll see a small progress bar... if it's a really small (in file size) pic this will happen pretty quickly and you may or may not not see the progress bar do that...

5. once it's uploaded you'll see a preview of it.... then look for and click the "Save" button that will be there...

6. close the "Manage Attachments" window and then click the "Submit Reply" button of your post...

you should now see your post with the respective pics you've uploaded...repeat as desired... keeping in mind we all LOVE to see pics of our beloved aircraft, so there's always a need out here for more pics!!

there are other ways to upload your pics like to a free image server/service out on the internet (I happen to use http://photobucket.com) and then it will provide links to simply copy & paste into your post, really easy and convenient... and it'll look like these first set of 3 pics (the larger ones)...

the 3 little thumbnails of the same pics at the very bottom of this post are uploaded from my computer for comparison...

HuffDaddy is offline Find More Posts by HuffDaddy
Old Jul 22, 2012, 07:14 AM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2011
1,083 Posts
Yeah, this plane is great, no matter what setup you have in it it will treat you well! Mine has a g15 950 kv, an e-flite 40 amp pro, HS-82/81 on elevator, rudder, and I used the stock mg servos on the flaps, they have more torque than the nylon gears, and give me more flap throw. With the extra 300 prop it really rips. Full throttle rolls right off the deck? You betcha! It makes me look good every time I put it up.
copperbricks is offline Find More Posts by copperbricks
Old Jul 22, 2012, 08:02 AM
devIAtion..one TX to bind them
Canada, ON, Georgina
Joined Aug 2011
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrodgers View Post
Now I sit here depressed, disappointed, and sad. It's a rare Saturday that Wifey is off work also, so we decided to take a ride. Drove over to Ohio, I never saw a Hobbytown USA and wanted to check it out. Kind of small, smaller than I expected but very clean and organized. Much different than the more local to work hobby shop where you slide sideways between the shelves and have to crane the neck up to see the boxes and boxes stacked on top of each other from shelf to ceiling.

Anyways, I've got a braces expense coming next week so I didn't spend the $300+ for the bird. I so wanted to, but did the smart thing. Too much other stuff I have to pay for in the near future. I just have to settle with the rest of the flying season watching my neighbor's flag for the wind to quit until it is too dark out there for my micro.

Wish I could join you all enjoying this bird. One good thing is I got to see one all put together. It is really amazing at how huge the normal size PZ warbirds appear when you've been looking and flying a micro for the last 2 years. It looked gigantic, LOL.
You can get the airframe only kit for $90, then order a G15 (770kv) from hobbyking and 4 HXT900 servos, 40amp ESC and the radio of your choice. (orange for example).

The airframe kit includes everything except the items above. Prop, wheels decals, tape...everything.

I had the G15 motor and some servos so to get in the air it only cost me the $90 plus tax. If you have any servos or esc, then it's a bonus.

I'm on my second airframe after a radio related crash. All I really needed was the main wing and elevator, but for $90 I get a complete new plane.

Parkzone/Horizon Hobby don't really market it as a kit version of the p-47, but its a great deal. In fact for anyone who had an apprentice that is beat up and they want to move up to a war bird, all they need is the airframe version.

It only takes about an hour to get it all together, elevator and rudder push rods are pre-installed and of course there's not much else to add.

--edit--
Also wanted to mention that you may want to use a metal gear servo for rudder as the tail wheel is on that servo and it can strip the plastic gears. I went with a $4 turnigy metal gear servo and it's been fine.
Cheers
Hexperience is offline Find More Posts by Hexperience
Last edited by Hexperience; Jul 22, 2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:30 AM
Georgetown IN
Joined Jul 2010
937 Posts
Quote:
Drove over to Ohio
Depending on which part of Ohio you visit, you can have some really cheap fun at the USAF museum in Dayton. Admission is free. A warbird fan can easily spend the entire day there.

They have a P-47 that is significantly bigger than the one you saw at Hobbytown :-)
10AE is online now Find More Posts by 10AE