HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:25 AM
Registered User
ddog343's Avatar
United States, WI, Oconomowoc
Joined Feb 2011
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam View Post
ddog343, for a minute there I thought you might be a "squad mate"!! Similar color schemes:
Yup yup...Now, you do yours to dress er up, and she is one sweet looker! But, I need the yellow just to see em these days.
Really enjoy yours, and everyone else's, historical art and work tho, really adds to these threads. But, I'm still at that "tickled pink" stage and just happy to be able to fly em.....and see em!
ddog343 is offline Find More Posts by ddog343
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:37 AM
Registered User
kevin whitesell's Avatar
Joined Nov 2011
1,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrodgers View Post
Re on the stable flight stuff from my question, thanks folks. Sounds like exactly what I am looking for (aside from flight time, I am also very much longing for far more than 10 minute flight time, but that would have to come from an FPV frame in the future. 10 minutes in the air just doesn't satisfy me as that is what I get out of my UM T-28 and feels like I just launched it when the timer rings.)

I'm not a fly-it-like-you-stole-it kind of flier, and the videos show a lot of scale looking stable flight which is why I wanted to know if it was the aircraft or the pilot. Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.
mrodgers-sir get the parkzone p-47 and you won't regret it -its a beaut! OH WHAT'S THAT TO THE LEFT?--IT'S,IT'S A BEAUTIFUL P-47 IN MY AVITAR PIC!
kevin whitesell is online now Find More Posts by kevin whitesell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: kev's new fms fw-190
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:02 AM
Registered User
capt soap's Avatar
dallas tx
Joined Jun 2003
2,878 Posts
Guy's because of endless medical bills/9 years disability im having to sell my most favorite warbird. My p-47 in the airplane section... Need the funds. Lee
capt soap is offline Find More Posts by capt soap
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:34 AM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
I'm finally starting to gather parts for a P47. I'm starting with the airframe, and will do the retracts later (assuming it survives being my first warbird).

So far, this is my parts list:

P47 Airframe (LHS)
EFlite Power 25 (used)
EFlite 60A Pro ESC (used)
Ail servos: 2x EXI D213F dig MG (on hand, and gyro compatible)
Flap servos: 2x TP 9gr (on hand, like HS55s)
R & E servos: 2x HS85MGs (need to find some...)
Optima 7 receiver (on hand)

I can't decide on a few things, so I need some help! Please opine:
Batteries: Either 3s or 4s NanoTech 45-90C, which one? I've got 25C 3S 3300's on hand, so I'm leaning towards the 4s to be different.
UBEC: Turnigy 5A, but do I need it?
Prop: Stock for a while, but then I will want a 4 blade-- either the durafly, or the hobby lobby (but probably the durafly, since it's $5). Which ones?

Please, please help me figure out what to do on these last 3 items. I'm more interested in scale flight than jet speeds.

Thanks!

PS: Also, what's a cheaper good option for the rudder & tail servos? I like hitec, but $30/ea may be too much. Will the HS-82MG work here?
jtaylor996 is online now Find More Posts by jtaylor996
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:26 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
quitcherbitchen's Avatar
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,491 Posts
Forget the stock prop. Extra 300 prop for starters, but with an E-25 you may need a 10 x 6 x4 apc. Dura Fly props are fragile. I have broken two in short no power nose overs in grass. Use the battery you have until you get it in the air.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 01:30 PM
Has Sloped Off
dav3uk's Avatar
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor996 View Post
I'm finally starting to gather parts for a P47. I'm starting with the airframe, and will do the retracts later (assuming it survives being my first warbird).

So far, this is my parts list:

P47 Airframe (LHS)
EFlite Power 25 (used)
EFlite 60A Pro ESC (used)
Ail servos: 2x EXI D213F dig MG (on hand, and gyro compatible)
Flap servos: 2x TP 9gr (on hand, like HS55s)
R & E servos: 2x HS85MGs (need to find some...)
Optima 7 receiver (on hand)

I can't decide on a few things, so I need some help! Please opine:
Batteries: Either 3s or 4s NanoTech 45-90C, which one? I've got 25C 3S 3300's on hand, so I'm leaning towards the 4s to be different.
UBEC: Turnigy 5A, but do I need it?
Prop: Stock for a while, but then I will want a 4 blade-- either the durafly, or the hobby lobby (but probably the durafly, since it's $5). Which ones?

Please, please help me figure out what to do on these last 3 items. I'm more interested in scale flight than jet speeds.

Thanks!

PS: Also, what's a cheaper good option for the rudder & tail servos? I like hitec, but $30/ea may be too much. Will the HS-82MG work here?
Your list is fine, maybe even too much as basic servos will do fine in these birds as stock. I have a question for you though, you say its your first warbird what have you been flying already? I cant really tell from your other posts. The P25 is quite a step up from stock and will need a good prop to keep up. LiPo wise the 3s are fine and will give 5-6 mins of safe power. I use a G-25 with 11 inch 4 blade prop and use 2700mah 3s and get 5 mins. Going to 4s will produce quite a peformance upgrade with the right prop.

Dave
dav3uk is offline Find More Posts by dav3uk
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 03:48 PM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav3uk View Post
Your list is fine, maybe even too much as basic servos will do fine in these birds as stock. I have a question for you though, you say its your first warbird what have you been flying already? I cant really tell from your other posts. The P25 is quite a step up from stock and will need a good prop to keep up. LiPo wise the 3s are fine and will give 5-6 mins of safe power. I use a G-25 with 11 inch 4 blade prop and use 2700mah 3s and get 5 mins. Going to 4s will produce quite a peformance upgrade with the right prop.

Dave
Well, I've got a couple of HS-81's around that I can scavenge from a slow stick. They're pretty ancient, but work fine. I suppose those should work fine for rudder an elevator.

The reason I'm going with the good digital servo's for ailerons is that I want to be able to put a gyro on there for even better wind handling. I've done this in the past on a small C182, and it worked very well. The D213F servos and GA250 gyros are like <$20 all in, so if you can stand the setup, it's well worth the effort.

In the past I've flown:
Eflite Apprentice (main bird lately, due to the wind)
Skyartec C182 (flaps&gyros)
Slow Stick
HK Kinetic 800 (Mplex Merlin clone)
UM T28 Trojan

I don't suppose the UM T28 really qualifies as a warbird, since it handles like a trainer, but I've done more touch and go's on that plan than I can count.

I'm by no means saying I'm a good pilot, but at least I can say that the last couple of models I've flown I haven't had to repair at all yet, even in bad conditions. Others, well.... (RIP slow stick, RIP kinetic 800)

I'm not really looking for crazy performance. I have no intentions of doing anything I've seen in any papabatman videos!!

I snagged a P25 and ESC off the classifieds for a good deal, and I knew it was a pretty standard setup on these planes. Pretty much everything else I already have on hand at this point.

I do still need to know about using a BEC on this plane. On this point, it's worth noting that I use a Hitec A9 TX, and will likely be setting up a tap off the ESC->bat connector to use the SPC port on the RX (Supplemental Power Connection). This means no brownouts on the RX, but doesn't provide any additional protection from power dips for the servos.

If people are only going to U/SBEC setups due to browning out the RX, then I don't think I'll need it using the SPC. If the problem is browning out the servo's, then it seems like it may be necessary. Please advise.
jtaylor996 is online now Find More Posts by jtaylor996
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 03:48 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
scootrb4's Avatar
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,105 Posts
I agree with Dave. You may be overfacing yourself with a hotrod warbird right out of the gate.... I would start with the stock P15 motor and 30a ESC until you get a feel for her.
scootrb4 is online now Find More Posts by scootrb4
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 03:59 PM
Shut up and fly
papabatman's Avatar
United States, CO, Firestone
Joined Jun 2008
10,428 Posts
she fly great stock no lie +1
papabatman is offline Find More Posts by papabatman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: fun with a parkzone
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 04:05 PM
Shut up and fly
papabatman's Avatar
United States, CO, Firestone
Joined Jun 2008
10,428 Posts
here is a stock bird landing not me mine is the corsair
DansLandingP47 (1 min 3 sec)
papabatman is offline Find More Posts by papabatman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: fun with a parkzone
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 04:07 PM
You can't take the sky from me
copperbricks's Avatar
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2011
1,083 Posts
or just go 3s with the p25. I use hs-82s on the elevator/rudder. Do you have an aurora 9?
copperbricks is offline Find More Posts by copperbricks
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 04:18 PM
Has Sloped Off
dav3uk's Avatar
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor996 View Post
Well, I've got a couple of HS-81's around that I can scavenge from a slow stick. They're pretty ancient, but work fine. I suppose those should work fine for rudder an elevator.

The reason I'm going with the good digital servo's for ailerons is that I want to be able to put a gyro on there for even better wind handling. I've done this in the past on a small C182, and it worked very well. The D213F servos and GA250 gyros are like <$20 all in, so if you can stand the setup, it's well worth the effort.

In the past I've flown:
Eflite Apprentice (main bird lately, due to the wind)
Skyartec C182 (flaps&gyros)
Slow Stick
HK Kinetic 800 (Mplex Merlin clone)
UM T28 Trojan

I don't suppose the UM T28 really qualifies as a warbird, since it handles like a trainer, but I've done more touch and go's on that plan than I can count.

I'm by no means saying I'm a good pilot, but at least I can say that the last couple of models I've flown I haven't had to repair at all yet, even in bad conditions. Others, well.... (RIP slow stick, RIP kinetic 800)

I'm not really looking for crazy performance. I have no intentions of doing anything I've seen in any papabatman videos!!

I snagged a P25 and ESC off the classifieds for a good deal, and I knew it was a pretty standard setup on these planes. Pretty much everything else I already have on hand at this point.

I do still need to know about using a BEC on this plane. On this point, it's worth noting that I use a Hitec A9 TX, and will likely be setting up a tap off the ESC->bat connector to use the SPC port on the RX (Supplemental Power Connection). This means no brownouts on the RX, but doesn't provide any additional protection from power dips for the servos.

If people are only going to U/SBEC setups due to browning out the RX, then I don't think I'll need it using the SPC. If the problem is browning out the servo's, then it seems like it may be necessary. Please advise.
You are right. The SPC will power the RX seperate from the servos so if the voltage sags from the ESCs built in bec the servos will keep going but may slow down but the RX will keep going fine as it has a built in BEC up to 8s. You get the best of both worlds as it were.

Brown out only relates to the RX as it is basically the voltage dropping below the working voltage of the RX and the RX then shuts down usually followed by a reboot, but this can take 2-3 seconds, in which time the plane is usually toast.......servos on the other hand tend to slow down as voltage is reduced so will keep going.

Dave
dav3uk is offline Find More Posts by dav3uk
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:13 PM
You can't take the sky from me
copperbricks's Avatar
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2011
1,083 Posts
missed that question. I use the spc on all of my planes on my hitec system. Mostly so I can moniter the voltage from my Tx, but also because I"m paranoid about brownouts :P Safer to be sorry.
copperbricks is offline Find More Posts by copperbricks
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:40 PM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papabatman View Post
she fly great stock no lie +1
True, but I'm to cheap to buy the PNP version, when I've got stores of new electronics sitting around. When I saw the deal on the P25, I went for it out of being cheap. I figure I can always run it at half throttle (or 1/4 throttle!).
jtaylor996 is online now Find More Posts by jtaylor996
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:43 PM
Shut up and fly
papabatman's Avatar
United States, CO, Firestone
Joined Jun 2008
10,428 Posts
don't get me wrong that is a great motor for this bird she will handle it well 3 or 4s
papabatman is offline Find More Posts by papabatman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: fun with a parkzone
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion World Models p47 1.20 dards Fuel Warbirds 1 Oct 20, 2010 10:55 AM
Discussion E-Flite P47 or Parkzone Corsair?? Gobstopper Electric Warbirds 13 Dec 02, 2009 09:37 PM
Discussion New Parkzone p51 or Greatplanes P47 casedit Electric Warbirds 5 Sep 01, 2009 09:08 AM