HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:11 PM
United States, WI, Oconomowoc
Joined Feb 2011
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrodgers View Post
Ok, I have to ask. I've been reading this thread from many many pages ago, basically from the initial maidens when the aircraft first came out. I've been watching many of the videos.

What makes the plane fly so smoothly as in the many videos? Is it the plane itself or is it the pilot?

I have to ask because I've watched many videos of many planes. I am in need of a larger plane, but I really do not know what I want. It is a case of not enough money and too many flight variables. I want a scale looking warbird, yet I want a long long flight. I want a Supercub to modify with ailerons, flaps, lights, hopped up BL motor, etc not because I'm a beginner, but because I love that airframe, yet I eventually want to do FPV. I want the Easystar 2 because of the future FPV and the ability for long flights, yet I want a scale aircraft.

I go to the local airfield (I fly in my backyard so I'm just visiting) for their airshow/funfly every year with my oldest daughter. We love it and finally got to see Mac Hodges B-29 in person. That airfield is pretty much all large nitro aircraft. They look so graceful in the air the way they fly. I watch videos of the aircraft I'm interested in and due to the light weight of foamies, they do not look as smooth and graceful as the larger balsa gas fliers I watch in person.

I watch videos of the HZ Supercub (mostly with ailerons and from experienced pilots, not the beginners) and while I would like that aircraft, it just doesn't show in video it flying as smooth and silky. It looks like it flies at a hugely out-of-proportion speed scale and doesn't look "heavy". In contrast, the E-Flite Supercub 25E is balsa and it looks very smooth and graceful in flight in the videos. Of course, it is a much larger and heavier model being balsa. I wouldn't get the E-Flite though because, as I said, I fly in my backyard, or actually a very large field beside and behind my house. The field actually rivals the 2 club fields that are closest to me.

Watching the videos of the PZ P-47, the model looks so smooth and graceful in the air, pretty much exactly the kind of gracefulness I am looking for in a flight model. Thus, I want to know if it boils down to the model or if it is due to the pilot. Yes I know, I'm sure the pilot does have something to do with it, but I haven't seen a single video of the P-47 that had not-so-smooth flying.
ParkZone P-47 Summer2011 (5 min 16 sec)

Gotta be ... z plane, z plane... said the little dude on "Fantasy Island"
Just the extra weight has got to help... and I believe PZ hit a homer with the overall model itself.
I can assure you, that I was just along for the ride... being my second year of RC Air. The P-47 really has a commanding presence in the air. My vote... z plane!
Enjoy!
ddog343 is offline Find More Posts by ddog343
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:53 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Feb 2009
377 Posts
Finally received new lipos from LHS. Went for first flight since my gear was stolen. Got one flight in on Saturday then wind picked up. Sunday weather not good. Will try again next weekend. Love my new DX7s.
actflyer is offline Find More Posts by actflyer
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:15 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,074 Posts
actflyer, I'm glad to hear you are back in the air... I'll alert the locals! LOL

Dog, Yes, the P47 is a very stable flying airframe. And the bigger and heavier the better. Get one you will really enjoy it. The plane feels rock solid in the air... and makes me look like a better pilot than I am... I guess that's my answer to your question...
scootrb4 is online now Find More Posts by scootrb4
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:38 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Feb 2009
377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrb4 View Post
actflyer, I'm glad to hear you are back in the air... I'll alert the locals! LOL

Dog, Yes, the P47 is a very stable flying airframe. And the bigger and heavier the better. Get one you will really enjoy it. The plane feels rock solid in the air... and makes me look like a better pilot than I am... I guess that's my answer to your question...
Thankyou
actflyer is offline Find More Posts by actflyer
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:03 AM
St. Louis
USA, MO, Ballwin
Joined Mar 2010
634 Posts
You need to make sure your CG is correct to have a smooth flight.

An aft-CG will make your P-47 "twitchy" and very un-scale-like no matter what you dial into the TX. You need to fly with the control surfaces very neutral and then make CG adjustments as opposed to trim adjustments to dial her in. Once you have her balanced out you can then step into the trim settings to fine-tune the flight characteristics.
Foambird is offline Find More Posts by Foambird
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:48 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2012
281 Posts
Stable

It's the plane. First the aerodynamics of it makes for a stable plane (nice dihedral) an I beleive somehow the shape of the rounded fuselage helps with being able to withstand sideways gusts.

Mine has retracts & flaps, so it's heavier. The heavier wing loading makes it more stable, it resists gusts much better. It flies like a racer, it loves speed. But it can slow down to a crawl for landing.

A lot of folks give it a makeover. I don't really like the standard paint job, so Callie Graphics has some nice vinyl you can add. Invasion stripes and checkerboard cowling, I say.

Foambird is right thoug: Get the CG right, and trim the aircraft right. Then it'll fly itself.

It is easy to fly, forgiving and does great aerobatics (not the 3D stuff), especially scale. The only other one that I have flown that is comparable is the Corsair. A good confidence builder.
WBKelsoe is offline Find More Posts by WBKelsoe
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:58 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2012
281 Posts
My windy day plane

Oh, I forgot to add:

1. It's actually my "windy day" plane. When the wind gets up and I can't fly my biplanes or other planes, I go with the Jug. Look at the threads and you'll see pretty much everybody agrees. That is important, the ability to fly in higher winds, because let's face it, we all have a lot of airplanes that can fly in no wind. But the wind always comes up.

2. Flight time: I "throttle manage". Meaning I dont always fly it balls to the wall like some do. An aircraft cruises at a bout 60-70% throttle. So that's pretty much the average. You use more juice going up in the vertical (loops, himmelmans) but you have to slack off the throttle going down (back side of the loop, split S). So anyway, my timer is set to 10 minutes. But I rarely fly more than about 8 minutes, it just works out this way. It turns out I rarely go over 50 to 60% of the battery (a 2200mAh 3S battery, very common and not pricy). So that's what you can expect for flight time for a stock P-47.
WBKelsoe is offline Find More Posts by WBKelsoe
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:51 AM
United States, PA, Butler
Joined Jun 2006
1,003 Posts
Re on the stable flight stuff from my question, thanks folks. Sounds like exactly what I am looking for (aside from flight time, I am also very much longing for far more than 10 minute flight time, but that would have to come from an FPV frame in the future. 10 minutes in the air just doesn't satisfy me as that is what I get out of my UM T-28 and feels like I just launched it when the timer rings.)

I'm not a fly-it-like-you-stole-it kind of flier, and the videos show a lot of scale looking stable flight which is why I wanted to know if it was the aircraft or the pilot. Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.
mrodgers is offline Find More Posts by mrodgers
Old Jul 17, 2012, 02:17 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2011
1,083 Posts
You could put in a 3300mah lipo, and you'd get much better times,with conservative throttle management perhaps 16 minutes or so?
copperbricks is offline Find More Posts by copperbricks
Old Jul 17, 2012, 06:54 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,414 Posts
ddog343,
What size is that 3 blade prop you have on your P-47 in the video clip? I have some of the PZ 10.5X9 Extra 300 props (for my Sea Fury). Sounds like the 300 prop is popular for the PZ P-47, but your 3 blade looks better. Looks like the HH retracts are tough for landings, too.
I will use the stock motor first, have a HH Park 480 1020kv motor for later..

If I am ordering Callie decal sheet, is this P=47 1/12 scale?
http://www.callie-graphics.com/airplanes.php
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Last edited by 320pilot; Jul 17, 2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:47 PM
United States, WI, Oconomowoc
Joined Feb 2011
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320pilot View Post
ddog343,
What size is that 3 blade prop you have on your P-47 in the video clip?
In the flight Vid I'm running a Mas 11x7x3.
In the Pre-maiden still pics it's prop'ed with the Corsair 3 blade. I'm running an Apprentice motor an a 60Amp Esc. The apprentice motor is similar to stock, same size but supposedly 110 Less KV.
I can't help you on the scale size, because I havn't had the pleasure of dealing with Callie Graffics yet, but I recall that being discussed here, somewhere..... sure someone will chip in.
Grounded my 47, late last season, had a re-tract hanging up half way down... could close it in flight, but not get it down and locked.... Ended up making 3 or 4 belly landings, gear -up, all fine... just getting around to coming up with a fix now...I'm kinda curious as to what's happening so I prolly tear into. Would love to have some one chip in with a solution other then replacing it... have a spare set just in case. Love your SF pic, looks great in that light.
ddog343 is offline Find More Posts by ddog343
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:19 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2011
1,083 Posts
a 480 motor is way too small for the jug. A power 10 with some spacers and the right prop would be as low as id go
copperbricks is offline Find More Posts by copperbricks
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:28 PM
Shut up and fly
United States, CO, Firestone
Joined Jun 2008
10,385 Posts
took her out this evening no one at the club just me and my p-47 doing endless touch, and go's, with flap with out, long roll outs, short one, last second retract deployments had a blast
papabatman is offline Find More Posts by papabatman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: fun with a parkzone
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:02 PM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperbricks View Post
You could put in a 3300mah lipo, and you'd get much better times,with conservative throttle management perhaps 16 minutes or so?
+1 on that! I notice a huge difference with the 3300 lipo. Even my brother thinks it flys much more stable with the 3300, in fact he just bought 3 new 3300 lipos today after having flown with one of my 3300's in his plane. I tried a 2200 again a while back and the plane felt too light and "twitchy". The longest time I can get is 7 minutes but I also do a lot of WOT flying. I just can't help doing low full speed passes with my warbirds!

ddog343, for a minute there I thought you might be a "squad mate"!! Similar color schemes:
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Last edited by Moonbeam; Jul 17, 2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:57 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,074 Posts
Cool plane Moonbeam!
I just wanted to say there is one 480 that will leave the other pilots scratching their collective heads.
I am running a powerup 480 from headsuprc. I run the 1000kv motor on 4s 2200mah. I get 5 minutes of aerobatics and 90 mph passes with a 10x10 prop. She will thrill any warbird pilot
scootrb4 is online now Find More Posts by scootrb4