SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:28 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
scootrb4's Avatar
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,293 Posts
3 pole motor ?
Can somebody verify that the better made motors have more poles. I have see good motors with 12 poles.
Is pole count a quick way to judge quality?

The Eflite Power 15 is a 35(x)48 case. 950 kv. 12 pole design. 3-4s operation

By comparison ........ I only have one
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4
Last edited by scootrb4; Jun 14, 2012 at 03:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2012, 05:09 PM
Registered User
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Feb 2009
377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrb4 View Post
Out of curiosity I put a 480plus from headsuprc in my Jug with a 4s 2200mah on the stock control and 10x10e prop and she runs great, radar at 70mph & unlimited vertical. Not much weigh gain. COG remained unchanged. Battery fits. Flight times 5 minutes. Nice little upgrade on the stock ESC.
I'd be thinking about a better ESC.

PS: Do you have a watt meter.
actflyer is offline Find More Posts by actflyer
Last edited by actflyer; Jun 14, 2012 at 05:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 09:34 PM
Registered User
Alpha_Geist's Avatar
United States, CA, Elk Grove
Joined Dec 2011
347 Posts
I've read people using the 480 plus motor on 4S. The max watt rating is 380W for 60 seconds and max current is listed as 35A for 60 seconds. Yet, headsuprc recommends a 35-50A ESC. ??? Am i missing something here? And running 4S with the stock prop....is that a recipie for disaster waiting to happen or am I missing out on something really cool here?

:O
Alpha_Geist is offline Find More Posts by Alpha_Geist
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:47 PM
Registered User
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Feb 2009
377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_Geist View Post
I've read people using the 480 plus motor on 4S. The max watt rating is 380W for 60 seconds and max current is listed as 35A for 60 seconds. Yet, headsuprc recommends a 35-50A ESC. ??? Am i missing something here? And running 4S with the stock prop....is that a recipie for disaster waiting to happen or am I missing out on something really cool here?

:O
My opinion is that your ESC is too small. Good insurance would be to get at least a 40 amp ESC.
actflyer is offline Find More Posts by actflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:05 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
scootrb4's Avatar
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,293 Posts
I have been flying the 480plus on 4s with the stock 30a ESC for about 5 weeks, average 12 flights a week. Short flights, conservative , mostly 5/8ths use of the throttle.
I too read about other doing this and met a guy at a flying field who said he had been doing it too. So I thought maybe I'm overdoing it? Big motors/big ESC/ independent BEC ... This is my experiment to see how little is needed? I know, call me crazy!
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4
Last edited by scootrb4; Jun 14, 2012 at 11:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:06 PM
Registered User
Alpha_Geist's Avatar
United States, CA, Elk Grove
Joined Dec 2011
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by actflyer View Post
My opinion is that your ESC is too small. Good insurance would be to get at least a 40 amp ESC.
I'm not the one with the motor. Although I wouldn't mind trying one out with a 60A ESC.

I was just wondering if using a stock prop on that motor (regardless of how big and capable the ESC is) on 4S is like playing russian roulette. How much longer till you burn up the motor since that would be the weakest link if the ESC was more than capable.
Alpha_Geist is offline Find More Posts by Alpha_Geist
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:16 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
scootrb4's Avatar
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_Geist View Post
I'm not the one with the motor. Although I wouldn't mind trying one out with a 60A ESC.

I was just wondering if using a stock prop on that motor (regardless of how big and capable the ESC is) on 4S is like playing russian roulette. How much longer till you burn up the motor since that would be the weakest link if the ESC was more than capable.
Who's running the stock prop? PZ stock props are too wide and fat. I use APC and my favorite Dynam or Master air screw props. The motor has never come down hot? We used an infrared temp gun to monitor it ....




..... thank you for your opinions.
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4
Last edited by scootrb4; Jun 14, 2012 at 11:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:47 PM
Registered User
northern Arizona
Joined Apr 2007
6 Posts
Need a some thoughts for which APC prop to use with a 45 amp esc running on 4s and a E-Flite power 15 950kv ?

I started out with the stock motor , prop ,and esc running on 3s and it was very underpowered. Tried a 10 x10 e with 3s but it wasnt enough .

Thanx
kevakov is offline Find More Posts by kevakov
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:55 PM
Registered User
krazyman's Avatar
United States, AZ, Camp Verde
Joined Jan 2007
1,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevakov View Post
Need a some thoughts for which APC prop to use with a 45 amp esc running on 4s and a E-Flite power 15 950kv ?

I started out with the stock motor , prop ,and esc running on 3s and it was very underpowered. Tried a 10 x10 e with 3s but it wasnt enough .

Thanx
I use a 9x7.5 GWS on a Power 15 and a 2200mah 4 cell. Flys real nice and enough power and speed for me.LOL

Terry
krazyman is online now Find More Posts by krazyman
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:57 PM
Registered User
Alpha_Geist's Avatar
United States, CA, Elk Grove
Joined Dec 2011
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrb4 View Post
Who's running the stock prop? PZ stock props are too wide and fat. I use APC and my favorite Dynam or Master air screw props. The motor has never come down hot? We used an infrared temp gun to monitor it ....




..... thank you for your opinions.
I'm not trying to step on anyones toes here. I'm going by what headsuprc states for that particular motor. They've done the testing on it. I dont even have it. Like I asked earlier, "am I missing out on something cool here?"

If I can safely use 4S on that motor with the stock prop (safely and without concern for burning up the motor) for the price of the motor vs something like E-Flite equivalent, then sign me up!

I've read on different forums here on rcgroups people using the 480 Plus on 4S. It has piqued my interest is all. If the motor can handle 4S with the stock prop without any worries, then I might add it to my cart the next time I shop at headsuprc.

Apparently you fly with a 10x10 APC prop. That's great! I dont understand how the PZ props being too wide or fat have anything to do with it. Wouldnt the stock prop draw less current than the APC 10x10?

I fly my three jugs with: the P25 (870kV) on 4S with the stock prop, G25 (710kV) 4S with APC 11x9x4 and the P25 (1250kV) 3S with a 9x9. If I can obtain more thrust/speed on a 480 Plus on 4S with stock prop compared to my P25 (870kV) with the same prop and 4S LiPo, then I could have saved some $$$.

Btw, the jug screams on the P25 (870 kV) on 4S and stock prop. Can you imagine it on the 1000kV 480 Plus on 4S? Woot!
Alpha_Geist is offline Find More Posts by Alpha_Geist
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:02 AM
No Guts, No Glory!
HuffDaddy's Avatar
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
3,228 Posts
WOOHOO!! Mr Mailman brought me a present today

the Durafly P-51/P-47 1100mm replacement Prop

designed for a 6mm prop shaft so most of us will have to ream er out a bit to fit our prop adapters...

this is mounted to the Turnigy G25 710kv at the moment

I have a couple props so one will have to go on the ParkZone Corsair I guess
HuffDaddy is offline Find More Posts by HuffDaddy
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:08 AM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
scootrb4's Avatar
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,293 Posts
I'm just learning here. Obviously you know way more than me, hell, you have 3 of these planes with big motors in em. You tell me what works.
Doesn't sound like you need to shopping for a less expensive motor to me, LOL.
I picked up the motor out of curiosity and thought to try it when the stock motor disintegrated. It has been nothing more than an experiment a lark if you will. Having never properly tested it, I may well be exceeding the watt limits. IDK
My original plan was to just see how this motor pulls this bird... I guess I forgot my plan included upgrading and proper testing,

I have just been flying the paint off of it.
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:08 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
quitcherbitchen's Avatar
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,765 Posts
Just be aware Huff that these props will break if you even so much as kiss the ground. Even without power.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:11 AM
No Guts, No Glory!
HuffDaddy's Avatar
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
3,228 Posts
yep, I am expecting that... I figure I will use this prop only on those perfect days and when the Force is with me



Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
Just be aware Huff that these props will break if you even so much as kiss the ground. Even without power.
HuffDaddy is offline Find More Posts by HuffDaddy
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:31 AM
Registered User
Alpha_Geist's Avatar
United States, CA, Elk Grove
Joined Dec 2011
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrb4 View Post
I'm just learning here. Obviously you know way more than me, hell, you have 3 of these planes with big motors in em. You tell me what works.
Doesn't sound like you need to shopping for a less expensive motor to me, LOL.
I picked up the motor out of curiosity and thought to try it when the stock motor disintegrated. It has been nothing more than an experiment a lark if you will. Having never properly tested it, I may well be exceeding the watt limits. IDK
My original plan was to just see how this motor pulls this bird... I guess I forgot my plan included upgrading and proper testing,

I have just been flying the paint off of it.
Haha. If you've ever seen a P-47 do a WOT dive dirtnap and then have to buy a new airframe because the old one exploded into a bunch of lego pieces...you can faintly hear your wallet choke itself to death on its own tears. LOL

Yeah :*( So i ended up replacing airframe(s) *turns head and coughs* (lol, dont ask hahaha). I would like to use the P25 (870) motor in another plane (a beater plane), since the one in the first (you mean there is more???) lego crash makes an odd sound every now and then. I dont want it in my jug anymore. Bad luck and dumb thumbs. So instead of buying another E-flite replacement, the headsuprc sounded like a nice priced less equivalent. Thus the interest in the 480 Plus. Plus! If it does work out, then I'm guessing that the 480 Plus might have longer flight times because I wont be at WOT all the time like I am on the P25 (870).
Alpha_Geist is offline Find More Posts by Alpha_Geist
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion World Models p47 1.20 dards Fuel Warbirds 1 Oct 20, 2010 11:55 AM
Discussion E-Flite P47 or Parkzone Corsair?? Gobstopper Electric Warbirds 13 Dec 02, 2009 10:37 PM
Discussion New Parkzone p51 or Greatplanes P47 casedit Electric Warbirds 5 Sep 01, 2009 10:08 AM