HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 20, 2012, 10:41 AM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
I'm one of the ones that had the motor separate at the end bell. I pressed it back with a drill press and have many flights since. I find it very slow and wondering if a P15 I have will wake this plane up enough to make it worthwhile?

Blu
I maidened the Eflite P-15 in my Spitfire yesterday, on 4s it is a powerhouse...
scootrb4 is online now Find More Posts by scootrb4
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2012, 10:46 AM
Shut up and fly
United States, CO, Firestone
Joined Jun 2008
10,806 Posts
that is a very good motor
papabatman is offline Find More Posts by papabatman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: fun with a parkzone
Old May 20, 2012, 12:19 PM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrb4 View Post
I maidened the Eflite P-15 in my Spitfire yesterday, on 4s it is a powerhouse...
How in the world did you fit a P-51 inside of a Spitfire?!!!! Sorry, couldn't resist!
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old May 20, 2012, 12:31 PM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,701 Posts
P-51? He said P-15 = ( eflite power 15). Sorry I could not resist.
DaxFX is online now Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old May 20, 2012, 12:40 PM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaxFX View Post
The corsair 3 blade prop is hungry for amps. I do bench test today and pull 29.6 amp 355w. Stock prop was at 27.35a . 317w.

I will fly tomorrow and ask my friend to bring his wattmeter. Maybe im getting wrong reading.
I test with another wattmeter today at the field. And me yesturday reading was the real deal. Stock prop go up to 28a for a second with a fressh charged battery. I didn test the 3 blade corsair prop again. But for sure my watt meter was correct i do a secon test today with both with stock prop and both meters read the same. So the prop data that is around in few post are wrong. Stock prop will never stay at 20a and corsair prop is at the border point with stock setup.
DaxFX is online now Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old May 20, 2012, 05:42 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
Joined Nov 2011
3,289 Posts
So DAX, you stand by your 27a and 29a results for a 2 or 3 blade prop. Pretty close to a wash, no? I notice when I strap a 3 blade on any plane the battery comes out hotter and the voltage lower.... course it could just be the pilot screwing off with the extra thrust

I had a great maiden with the powerup 480plus today on 4s

The lightweight 480 helped balance out the 2200mah 4s which fit in the stock battery bay. The plane balanced nice with bigger battery pulled back about 1/2 inch. (eflite retracts installed)

A friend had a T28 with power-10 on 3s. That plane could not come close to catching the Thunderbolt today

Flights were a short 5-6 minutes of mixed aerobatics and high speed passes. I error on the side of caution. Batteries came down at 15.1-15.4 or 3.85 per cell.

I'm relatively new here and if I didn't know better, I would recommend this set up to somebody wanting more thrust and speed
Old May 20, 2012, 05:50 PM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
4s will always out volt a 3s so yea I am not surprised based on battery selection alone...
Quote:
So DAX, you stand by your 27a and 29a results for a 2 or 3 blade prop. Pretty close to a wash, no? I notice when I strap a 3 blade on any plane the battery comes out hotter and the voltage lower.... course it could just be the pilot screwing off with the extra thrust

I had a great maiden with the powerup 480plus today on 4s

The lightweight 480 helped balance out the 2200mah 4s which fit in the stock battery bay. The plane balanced nice with bigger battery pulled back about 1/2 inch. (eflite retracts installed)

A friend had a T28 with power-10 on 3s. That plane could not come close to catching the Thunderbolt today

Flights were a short 5-6 minutes of mixed aerobatics and high speed passes. I error on the side of caution. Batteries came down at 15.1-15.4 or 3.85 per cell.

I'm relatively new here and if I didn't know better, I would recommend this set up to somebody wanting more thrust and speed
Syner01 is offline Find More Posts by Syner01
Old May 20, 2012, 09:18 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Feb 2009
377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtn9105 View Post
Can anyone tell me how to change the bearings in the stock motor for this plane?

Also maybe suggest a good Hobby King replacement motor?
Throw the standard motor and buy an E-flite power 15 and use 4 cell 3300 lipo batteries. Don't forget to upgrade esc.
actflyer is offline Find More Posts by actflyer
Old May 20, 2012, 09:35 PM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
4,073 Posts
QQ guys... Mine is ready to maiden now, but I just noticed the tail tracking is miles to the right with the rudder at neutral. Is that to counteract the torque on takeoff, or just a mistake at the factory? Should it track dead straight, or is this RH curve normal?

Thx, Matt
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EFX Racer
Old May 20, 2012, 09:54 PM
United States, WI, Oconomowoc
Joined Feb 2011
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyB View Post
QQ guys... Mine is ready to maiden now, but I just noticed the tail tracking is miles to the right with the rudder at neutral. Is that to counteract the torque on takeoff, or just a mistake at the factory? Should it track dead straight, or is this RH curve normal?

Thx, Matt
Should be tracking straight....Gd Luck on the maiden!
ddog343 is offline Find More Posts by ddog343
Old May 20, 2012, 11:04 PM
United States, CO
Joined Aug 2011
109 Posts
scootrb4,
I had (nearly) the same thing happen to me with the motor on my Apprentice. I was doing some high(er, it's not even close to the Jug... ) speed passes when I noticed that the plane was hardly beating my friends UM Sukhoi Su-26XP in level flight. I brought the plane down and realized that the bell had begun to pull away from the back plate on one side, leaving the plane with a very interesting thrust angle.
I removed the motor and used a vice to squeeze the pieces back together. The motor seemed good when I ran it up so I took it up, but when I got it back down the bell had pulled away again. I fixed it again, (this time with JB Weld to hold it together) and took it flying. Same result...
I ended up tossing the motor and I bought a G-15 970kV from HK; it works perfectly and is a straight bolt on.

Joe
Red Cat Joe is offline Find More Posts by Red Cat Joe
Old May 20, 2012, 11:11 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
Joined Nov 2011
3,289 Posts
Joe, You were lucky the motor didn't have a catastrophic failure in air with all that ....
Old May 21, 2012, 12:05 AM
United States, CO
Joined Aug 2011
109 Posts
Quote:
Joe, You were lucky the motor didn't have a catastrophic failure in air with all that ....
Very lucky, and after seeing the aftermath of your motor, I'm glad I bought a new one.

Joe
Red Cat Joe is offline Find More Posts by Red Cat Joe
Old May 21, 2012, 02:31 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
4,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddog343 View Post
Should be tracking straight....Gd Luck on the maiden!
Many thanks - much appreciated. I'll tweak the steerable tailwheel pushrod to accomodate.

PS - I assume everyone's rudder servo "sings" at rest because of the small contant load placed on it by the tailwheel? I know digis have a tendency to do this, but I can normally silence them in my slopers by removing any linakage friction and making sure the pushrods have perfectly straight runs. I guess that's not really possible in one of these...

EDIT - Shoulda used search, as usual it's been asked before (several times!) - sorry guys....
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MattyB; May 21, 2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old May 21, 2012, 12:32 PM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaxFX View Post
P-51? He said P-15 = ( eflite power 15). Sorry I could not resist.
Ah I see that now. Good catch! Good thing you couldn't resist either, otherwise I'd have been confused for days.

I'm going to go play tetris now...
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam