HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 19, 2012, 04:10 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
2,858 Posts
This event goes in the 'WTH' category.
Flight #3 started as 1 and 2. Nice roll down the runway and a stock PZ P-47 take off left to right. I climb up through the first right turn and begin applying full throttle and elevator as I pass back in front of myself at about 125' and pow! The plane jerks a little bit and drops altitude. I instinctively pull back on the elevator and cut throttle... turn towards home and ease the throttle back on = nothing. No thrust. I know I saw something come off the plane, maybe it was the prop? I glide in and make the runway for a short landing. Walking out to get the plane I can't believe my eyes...
WTH!?

The stock motor came apart. The motor and prop flew right out of the cowl and turned left into the LE of my wing~!

The ironic part is this is my only stock warbird, every other one has aftermarket motor, ESC ect.
scootrb4 is online now Find More Posts by scootrb4
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2012, 05:23 PM
Warbird Enthusiast
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Apr 2011
183 Posts
I think the stock motor is quite cheap. Plastic frame where the screws go in. My stock motor is now not used due to this fact.
ManTownMedia is online now Find More Posts by ManTownMedia
Old May 19, 2012, 07:24 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,540 Posts
Whoa, that would certainly count as a "catastrophic failure" of the motor! Great save bringing it in dead stick and likely VERY tail heavy, must have been an interesting landing.

How old is the plane?

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old May 19, 2012, 07:27 PM
AMA 884978
United States, CA, Barstow
Joined May 2007
2,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrb4 View Post
MD 1963, I have used the 2200 and even the 1800mah 4s with similar motor & esc in similar PZ birds. (T28 & Spitfire) The 1800mah turnigy nano tech 25-50C Weighs and sizes the same as the 3s2200. If you fly mostly 1/2 throttle with bursts of excitement you can fly 5-6minutes. This battery fits right in without any COG mod.
The 2200mah 4s is a little heavier and will require repositioning... You will want a smaller prop when you go up in voltage(higher rpms). Big props are for slower turning motors.
Sorry you had the problem and happy you were able to save the plane. Just reading the post you made above though is probably your reason for the stock motor letting go. I'm sure it has been discussed several times in this thread that the stock PZ motor has a plastic bearing housing and WILL not take the heat generated by 4s use. CAN you run 4s with the stock set up? Yes. Should you run 4s with the stock set up? No, not if you want the motor to last. You didn't say how much time was taken BETWEEN flights/ If there was not a lot of time between flights - even with a 3s battery - the heat generated by the amps stays and builds in the housing and it WILL let go. The stock setup was made for economy. It does work and works well but it (the entire power system) is not designed for hard use. This is why almost everyone replaces the power train with something more powerful and of higher quality almost right away.

In answering several posts from before - the E-Flite and Monster Power motors do fit the stock mount - but only two of the four mounting holes align for a "perfect" fit. The "G" series HK motors have a bolt pattern that is a "perfect" aligned fit. I believe the "Sport" and "Speed" motors from Heads Up are of the same as the E-Flite and MP motors and only 2 of the 4 mounting holes align.

Any of those motors from 800k to 1250k will work as replacement motors in the Jug - with the proper prop selection for amperage control.

Hillbille

Multiple recommendations in this thread for power system upgrades and it would appear like you are certainly in the market for one!!
hillbille is online now Find More Posts by hillbille
Old May 19, 2012, 10:11 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,798 Posts
Fun day flying! Flew the Bolt for the 1st time in months and almost destroyed it within 30 seconds. I managed to get my head back into it and saved her, whew!
Later I got to fly with another Bolt owner and it was awesome to see two of them zooming around together. It's my 1st time flying in traffic and man you better get a sense where the other guy is or it could be a bad day

Blu
Bluhammer is online now Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old May 19, 2012, 10:17 PM
Shut up and fly
United States, CO, Firestone
Joined Jun 2008
9,879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
Fun day flying! Flew the Bolt for the 1st time in months and almost destroyed it within 30 seconds. I managed to get my head back into it and saved her, whew!
Later I got to fly with another Bolt owner and it was awesome to see two of them zooming around together. It's my 1st time flying in traffic and man you better get a sense where the other guy is or it could be a bad day

Blu
lol yes yes true that. wait till everyone is flying the same colors to boot
papabatman is offline Find More Posts by papabatman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: very fun FPV
Old May 19, 2012, 11:15 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
Joined Nov 2011
2,858 Posts
For the record, this plane never saw 4s. I have never run a stock PZ motor on 4s. ... anyway I am guilty of running the 3 blade Corsair prop today... and flights were 15 to 30 minutes apart. For the record the plane has only 30-50 flights on it, never crashed or hard landing. It's been my hanger queen since I received it for Xmas.
I have put a motor I had in the drawer, a Power-up 480 plus and it can run on 4s. I think kv is 1100, Will start with a 10x5 prop. This has been a good combination for similar birds. Most of the time I run them at 5/8ths throttle. Thank you, hilbillie for your input, all good info as usual.
Like I said it is ironic in a way, cuz that was my only stock plane

And yes, Fish99, That was a wild ride... we laughed later. I was a little paniced. It was a panic grab for the retract switch...My buddy flying next to me said 'just fly it flat and turn slow. Fly it in' He was right... I actually had to go around and bleed altitude... I looked like a buzzard landing.. tail down...
It will see 4s now.
Last edited by scootrb4; May 19, 2012 at 11:42 PM.
Old May 19, 2012, 11:50 PM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
1,815 Posts
The corsair 3 blade prop is hungry for amps. I do bench test today and pull 29.6 amp 355w. Stock prop was at 27.35a . 317w.

I will fly tomorrow and ask my friend to bring his wattmeter. Maybe im getting wrong reading.

For bec, moving all servos including retracts always was under 1a. Just in the safe side for all stock with flaps and retract.
DaxFX is offline Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old May 20, 2012, 12:00 AM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
Joined Nov 2011
2,858 Posts
Dax, I would expect the 3 blade to draw a little more than 10% more than a comparable 2 blade. They sure pull nice.
I'm starting my 4s Thunderbolt on a APC 9x7.5. It might be a little aggressive? But I'm running out of prop adapters and that's limiting my choices... Would rather the 10x5 fit? Hmmm maybe go drill it out.
Old May 20, 2012, 04:07 AM
AMA 884978
United States, CA, Barstow
Joined May 2007
2,091 Posts
scootrb4,
No offense intended in my post - I guess I misunderstood you to be saying you had run 4s in ALL of your birds and they all worked fine. As for the stock motor coming apart - some here have reported them doing EXACTLY as you described yours doing on their very first flight! It is NOT uncommon. In fact I think there is a guy here that has removed the motor and pressed the end BACK onto the bearing and is STILL running it!

I only ran mine for a short time and replaced it with a Monster Power 25 as I wanted the HL 4 blade 11" prop on mine. I still only run 3s 2650's in mine now though. I am a little older and speed ain't where I'm at now! LOL!!

On the note that you'll be looking for another motor. I found some photos I made of the HK G25 and it's bolt pattern in the PZ motor mount. The mount is the same for the T-28, Corsair, Spitfire and BF109 as well as the P-47. HH took some flak early on over the composition of the mount as people were breaking them quite easily with the Corsair nose overs and just a very slight prop strike - that would NOT break the prop - WOULD shatter the motor mount - and they were NEVER "in stock"!! LOL!! They changed them and now you may rip out the firewall but you probably will not break your motor mount.

Anyway here are the photos. Please note that the G-25 is the SAME bolt pattern as the G-10 and G-15 I believe and it might be the same as the G-32 but I am not certain of that.

The first photo shows the motor and mount.
The second photo shows the motor mounted
Third photo shows ALL the mounting holes align
Fourth shows the motor WITH the prop adapter (I think that is the BF 109 adapter) mounted
Fith photo shows a motor "line up" starting with the G-25, then the PZ 15, then the PZ 480, then the Monster Power 15.
Sixth is the G-25 and the MP 15 together for size and length comparison.

Hillbille
hillbille is online now Find More Posts by hillbille
Old May 20, 2012, 08:21 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
4,873 Posts
Hillbilie great info. I have read all this before. Anyone Please Don't Take Offense. Just feel bad that you had to rewrite all that again. What this thread needs is a sticky that list all the relevant Mods similar to the P-47 Modification thread that is dead now. Every new group of flyers that come in ask the same questions and I notice a cycle that all the old timers rewriting old post. Seems like a lot of work could be saved with a sticky. Mr Moderator can we PLEASE have a sticky?
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old May 20, 2012, 08:40 AM
Is Stateside.......
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,188 Posts
Hi Hillbillie, I have pushed the motor back together on my Spit, its the second one in it the first the bearing went after 20 flights or so and HH swapped it out this one has seen 180+ flights then the back housing started to come off thought I had had my moneys worth so didnt get HH involved. I pushed it back with a G clamp and its been fine for 40 or so flights....only time will tell.

I have the G25 in my Jug, what prop did you use. I have tried the APC 11x6x4 and it was just OK, I now have the HL 4 blade but have had to reduce the pitch a lot to get the amps down to below 40. How is yours going with it.

Dave
dav3uk is offline Find More Posts by dav3uk
Old May 20, 2012, 08:46 AM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
Joined Nov 2011
2,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
Hillbilie great info. I have read all this before. Anyone Please Don't Take Offense. Just feel bad that you had to rewrite all that again. What this thread needs is a sticky that list all the relevant Mods similar to the P-47 Modification thread that is dead now. Every new group of flyers that come in ask the same questions and I notice a cycle that all the old timers rewriting old post. Seems like a lot of work could be saved with a sticky. Mr Moderator can we PLEASE have a sticky?
LOL. Darn New kids asking the same questions We're like grandchildren visiting the farm... wanting to kiss the pig
Old May 20, 2012, 08:58 AM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
Joined Nov 2011
2,858 Posts
Since my cowl is openly modified by yesterdays event, I could put any motor I wanted in it. Actually the custom mount & 480 plus motor from headsuprc mic-ed out within 1/2mm of orig and I think I can make it work with a new cowl when I get it... this motor was in my T28 for a day and I think it's a good moderate match on 4s ~ today's flights will tell the tale. I have a power up sport 25 in the drawer if this is too small....but all these warbirds weigh about the same.
Old May 20, 2012, 09:26 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,798 Posts
I'm one of the ones that had the motor separate at the end bell. I pressed it back with a drill press and have many flights since. I find it very slow and wondering if a P15 I have will wake this plane up enough to make it worthwhile?

Blu
Bluhammer is online now Find More Posts by Bluhammer