HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2012, 10:22 PM
Joined Jan 2012
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin whitesell View Post
hi marshal dillon; Ive got the dx6i tx and been flying all my warbirds(e-flite p-38,pz 109,pz p-47,pz p-51, and pz spitfire)without expo.I'VE TRYED IT,but go without.I've always read that expo is all pilot's preference.I just go smooth -light pressure on my sticks.I do use 100% throws on high rates and 70%on low rates.I just use high rates when i want to do loops,rolls invert,etc and low when cruising around and landing.GENTS- is this just another way that i'm a freak or does anyone else fly this way? It just really works for me and thats the way i look at expo-whatever works for you-discuss Good flying mates-kevin
Hey, Kev. Hope all is well, Buddy. I'm with you and Alpha in that I believe I'm going to go with 0% expo. I nearly crashed today several times using 25% expo, as I just felt like I didn't have the precise control I've quickly become used to with the Jug. I like her as a "point and shoot" bird and prefer that level of responsiveness.

However, that said, I believe I'm going to go with 70% rates on aileron and rudder with 100% throw on the elevator. I'm hoping the extra elevator travel will help me bring her in slower for a softer landing (no flaps yet) since I'm flying on grass. Any feedback on whether this sounds logical or not is more than welcome, as I'm new to flying and the Jug is my first plane.
Marshal Dillon is offline Find More Posts by Marshal Dillon
Last edited by Marshal Dillon; Mar 23, 2012 at 10:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:11 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,299 Posts
I like 100 for authority on the ground taking off but land at my low 70. Works fine. Try it out though seeing is believing. Mine settles in nicely at 70 but can slow almost too much at 100 and get wing rocky. If she rocks your flirting with a stall. Best of luck to you. I fly off grass.
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:12 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,388 Posts
sniff-sniff so you mean i'm not alone in this world? marshal dillon what i've done on my dx6i is i've programed my low(70%) and high rates(100%) for my rudder,elevator and ailerons all on one switch.The switch i picked for this was the"ail dir"switch ontop right of the tx face next to the throttle cut.I FIGURE THAT LOW WOULD BE TOGGLE DOWN AND HIGH WOULD BE TOGGLE UP.IT'S ONLY IMHO THAT ANY THING A GUY CAN FIGURE TO SIMPLIFY IS ONLY GOING TO HELP.I have flaps and gear on my jug and sometimes i practice dropping flaps and gear without looking at the tx. THIS IS WHAT WORKS GOOD FOR ME -I wish you the best of luck as you're realitively a newbie eh? your in a good place here on rcg as there's lot's of dudes willing to help out.I DON'T KNOW EVERY THING FOR SURE BUT ,MY 4 YEAROLD DAUGHTER DOES!
kevin whitesell is offline Find More Posts by kevin whitesell
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kevin whitesell; Mar 23, 2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:14 PM
Joined Jan 2012
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryramZ View Post
I like 100 for authority on the ground taking off but land at my low 70. Works fine. Try it out though seeing is believing. Mine settles in nicely at 70 but can slow almost too much at 100 and get wing rocky. If she rocks your flirting with a stall. Best of luck to you. I fly off grass.
Sound advice, RZ. Thank you, my friend.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:30 PM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
I fly my P-47 with out dual rates or expo, even though I have set it up.... The only planes I fly with dual rates and expo is my MX Extra and my pylon racers. Like others, in this type of plane it is more personal preference.

For 3D, Expo and DR is a way of life....
ViperZ is offline Find More Posts by ViperZ
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:48 PM
Joined Jan 2012
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin whitesell View Post
...all on one switch.The switch i picked for this was the"ail dir"switch ontop right of the tx face next to the throttle cut.I FIGURE THAT LOW WOULD BE TOGGLE DOWN AND HIGH WOULD BE TOGGLE UP.IT'S ONLY IMHO THAT ANY THING A GUY CAN FIGURE TO SIMPLIFY IS ONLY GOING TO HELP.I have flaps and gear on my jug and sometimes i practice dropping flaps and gear without looking at the tx.
Makes perfect sense to me...down = low rates and up = high rates. Tough to screw that up under pressure in flight. I also like the 1 switch idea. I'm going to set this up tomorrow, as it definitely sounds like it streamlines things a bit.

I also like your idea of practicing finding the switches without looking at the TX. I haven't done this yet but I plan to. Great reminder. I have had some trouble trimming in flight because I'm a noob and typically nervous as all get out while in flight, although I'm getting more calm and poised with each drained LiPo.

Unfortunately, I'm looking at rain and decent winds all weekend so no flying here. I'm glad I got to fly this morning.
Last edited by Marshal Dillon; Mar 24, 2012 at 12:00 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 03:34 PM
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Oct 2011
85 Posts
I maidened mine yesterday with 100% throws and no expo. Haven't ever really set expos up. It was very touchy, but I managed to not crash and flew decently. It was intimidating, but Im sure if I set up dual rates and expo it would be a little more easy for me to fly.
Tubbster85 is offline Find More Posts by Tubbster85
Old Mar 24, 2012, 06:19 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubbster85 View Post
I maidened mine yesterday with 100% throws and no expo. Haven't ever really set expos up. It was very touchy, but I managed to not crash and flew decently. It was intimidating, but Im sure if I set up dual rates and expo it would be a little more easy for me to fly.
I have to hand it to you for a maiden with full rates. I was nervous as hell on 70/30 rates. I still fly on low rates when flying it after a lay off, but after the 1st battery I'm back to full rates. I'm going to bump it up with a power 15 and 50A ESC I have and set the ailerons for more throw.

Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:15 PM
Joined Jan 2012
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubbster85 View Post
Nice job, Tubbster. Glad you got 'er up and down safely.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 09:37 AM
Joined Oct 2011
85 Posts
Thanks guys, Im going to work on setting up dual rates on one switch on my DX6i today. I really want to set up flaps on her to slow her down a bit, but that will have to wait a while, just bought some Sky Lipo 2650 30C batteries.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 09:46 AM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,412 Posts
Parkzone P-47D Thunderbolt Pt 2. Lunchtime In The Wind

Here is Part Two of the Parkzone P-47 this time flying in a very strong wind. The footage is not quiet as good as part one's and needed a little editing. Corinnes arm and aim was getting a little tired after a few hours shooting planes, BUT! this still shows the P-47's flying ability in the wind and proves wind or no wind, this plane is a real keeper, it looks and flys so well, in any conditions

cheers chuck

Parkzone P-47D Thunderbolt Pt 2. Lunchtime In The Wind (6 min 50 sec)
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Mar 25, 2012, 09:53 AM
Joined Oct 2011
85 Posts
Nice vid Chuck. Sure was windy out there, but she looked like she floated in quite nice!
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:02 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
Here is Part Two of the Parkzone P-47 this time flying in a very strong wind. The footage is not quiet as good as part one's and needed a little editing. Corinnes arm and aim was getting a little tired after a few hours shooting planes, BUT! this still shows the P-47's flying ability in the wind and proves wind or no wind, this plane is a real keeper, it looks and flys so well, in any conditions

cheers chuck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQBrTfUk2CM
Chuck, I don't know how you fly there with all those trees in the way

Your camera gal did a great job by the way!

Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:05 AM
Joined Oct 2011
85 Posts
I was just thinking that it would be so nice to fly in a place like that with no trees! But here in the Pacific NW, we sure have no shortage!
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:19 AM
England
Joined Nov 2005
1,113 Posts
Hi

I've just picked up the BNF version. I can see that the manual advises that the CG should be 60mm but even with the supplied LiPo (all the way forward as suggested), it seems quite a bit nose heavy. I would have expected that the BNF setup would have balanced properly out of the box. Am I right in thinking that people have had to add extra weight to the back with the stock setup ? I've done a 'balance' search but most comments about CG seem to relate to modified versions.

Are people measuring from the end of the curve where the wing meets the fuselage or right before the curve starts, which is my preferred option ?

Thanks
netdudeuk is online now Find More Posts by netdudeuk
Last edited by netdudeuk; Mar 25, 2012 at 11:54 AM.