Old Nov 14, 2010, 12:32 AM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minirips2 View Post
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/scale_4_b...32888_prd1.htm
If anyone besides me is yearning to try one of these Hobby-Lobby ground adjustable props on their P-47, I got some news. I have the Parkzone Extra 300, which has the same power system. Anyway, since I'm a little bored tonight, I bolted the prop on the front of the Extra to check amps. At the stock 10" pitch, the prop is not usable, as it draws 42 amps (shut that puppy down-NOW!). So I pitched it down to 7", and it draws 31 amps for 335 watts. I'm afraid the 11" 4 blader would have to be pitched so low to control current draw that the plane would be very slow. Or maybe put a Power 15 on it with a 40 amp ESC and try that. The Power 15 might be too high KV for it, anyway. So that's about all I've got for now. I haven't flown the Extra with the prop, and I don't intend to. Maybe if I get really bored I will....
MR2
I too have been looking at this prop. When i get my plane i do plan on changing out esc right aways. I have a eflight 60 esc which will be going in so this looks like it will be something i will be purchasing.
gewiens is offline Find More Posts by gewiens
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2010, 12:40 AM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,029 Posts
Ok i quit looking.. Purchased!! LOL!!
Old Nov 14, 2010, 01:05 AM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbille View Post
I ordered the E-Flite units with my pre order P-47. Those I trust.
Hillbille
+1 I also added the Pre Bent Struts

really looking forward to this plane

cheers chuck

PS it's not just "The Trust" it's the ease of after sales service, if something is wrong
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Nov 14, 2010, 01:11 AM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
Ok $ is fantastic for us at the moment so i want to buy a 4 blade Scale Adjustable Pitch Prop from hobby lobby (yes Merlin at last ) i have searched this thread but cannot find the answer i am after

so which one should i get and why? the 11X10 or the 9-1/2 X 10 and yes i realize i will have to up the ESC

cheers chuck
I asked this question many moons ago and never got an answer until today

so if the 11" prop is no good what about the 9 1/2" one?

or would the 11" just need a bigger ESC to make it safer to use?

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Nov 14, 2010, 01:21 AM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,029 Posts
I'm gonna go with the 9.5". With the pitch adjustments allowed it can be made to be overkill i'm assuming, plus if you go to big you gotta worry about prop strikes.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 03:33 AM
netherlands
Joined Mar 2010
1,374 Posts
i have coming the compleet package too
p47 pnp
retracts + pre bent struts
and flap mod

can,t wait to put it together when it comes
patrick39 is offline Find More Posts by patrick39
Last edited by patrick39; Nov 14, 2010 at 07:36 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 07:27 AM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,503 Posts
Quote:
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/scale_4_b...32888_prd1.htm
If anyone besides me is yearning to try one of these Hobby-Lobby ground adjustable props on their P-47, I got some news. I have the Parkzone Extra 300, which has the same power system. Anyway, since I'm a little bored tonight, I bolted the prop on the front of the Extra to check amps. At the stock 10" pitch, the prop is not usable, as it draws 42 amps (shut that puppy down-NOW!). So I pitched it down to 7", and it draws 31 amps for 335 watts. I'm afraid the 11" 4 blader would have to be pitched so low to control current draw that the plane would be very slow. Or maybe put a Power 15 on it with a 40 amp ESC and try that. The Power 15 might be too high KV for it, anyway. So that's about all I've got for now. I haven't flown the Extra with the prop, and I don't intend to. Maybe if I get really bored I will....
MR2
Mini.....We on the Hobby Lobby P-47 thread have been discussing using the HL 4 blade on the PZ P-47.
The HL P-47 using the 11X10 4 blade draws 29amps, the motor is advertised as a 1050kv but in reality it can not, and must have been a mistake on someones part to give it that rating....as it would take a 700kv-800kv motor to draw only 29amps using that prop.
Months ago I tried a Power 10 with the HL 4 blade and with the pitch set down to 6 it drew 43amps.....so im not suprised with your test.....but glad you posted your findings, as Sammy was going to test it when he got the proper adapter.

Sammy.....I didn't mean to come over so course....If the Change Sun's work for you then that s a good thing, I personally just didn't like them.

Brent....You might like them also, and if they work out well for you, please post your findings and tell me I was wrong...
LICobra is online now Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by LICobra; Nov 14, 2010 at 07:36 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 08:16 AM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICobra View Post
Sammy.....I didn't mean to come over so course....If the Change Sun's work for you then that s a good thing, I personally just didn't like them.
No worries, it's all good!
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Nov 14, 2010, 08:32 AM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,600 Posts
Okay, I may be off the wall here, but as long as your esc is big enough to handle the current, can't you just manage amp draw with the throttle?

I currently have a MonsterPower 15 in my Jug with the 11/10/4 HL prop at stock pitch and a 60 A esc. The 11" prop is still slightly under scale but looks great. Ground clearance is a problem, it is easy to stub the prop tips on landing or t/o, but that's part of the game. I don't run WOT, I'm not trying to tear the wings off, just have fun with the plane.

I also had a Monster 10 (1100 kV) in my late lamented SBD running the HL 11/10/3. Way too much power if I punched it, the plane would get squirrely and I think I was seeing 50+ amps on the bench. The only issue I had was that my lipos were starting to get too warm and I had to ventilate the battery compartment.

The 15 is a better match for the HL prop b/c of its lower kV, but in my experience, both motors are about bullet proof and can handle the HL props with no issues. I'm sure this sounds crass, but the motors are only about $20, so if you do toast one, it doesn't seem to me to be a big deal. I'm hooked on the looks of the HL props, which actually cost as much as the motors.

Regards,
Jeff
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Nov 14, 2010, 08:49 AM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhspring View Post
The 15 is a better match for the HL prop b/c of its lower kV, but in my experience, both motors are about bullet proof and can handle the HL props with no issues. I'm sure this sounds crass, but the motors are only about $20, so if you do toast one, it doesn't seem to me to be a big deal. I'm hooked on the looks of the HL props, which actually cost as much as the motors.

Regards,
Jeff
Jeff....the PZ extra 300 "15" is a 950kv, the PZ 109 "15" is a 720kv...probably suited a bit better for the 11X10, but I agree with just adding an ESC that will hande the load and give it a try.

Does anyove have a PZ 109 and a HL 11X10 4 blade to test....
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:44 AM
Chicago Northwest subs
Joined Jan 2007
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Jeff....the PZ extra 300 "15" is a 950kv, the PZ 109 "15" is a 720kv...probably suited a bit better for the 11X10, but I agree with just adding an ESC that will hande the load and give it a try.

Does anyove have a PZ 109 and a HL 11X10 4 blade to test....
I'd be a bit nervous about that 109 motor, given all the reports of cracking/dying. The KV should be about right for the bigger prop, as you said. I've got one of the 11" 4-bladers, but after the pull with the 9.5" prop, I decided against trying it. I need something to fly until the P-47 gets here! There are plenty of inexpensive motors out there that will work with this. Rewinding the stock motor for a lower KV might be an option for those skilled enough to do that. Thanks for pointing out the link to the HL P-47. I was seriously considering that one, until I saw this one at I-Hobby Expo last month.
MR2
minirips2 is offline Find More Posts by minirips2
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:54 AM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,503 Posts
Quote:
I'd be a bit nervous about that 109 motor, given all the reports of cracking/dying. The KV should be about right for the bigger prop, as you said. I've got one of the 11" 4-bladers, but after the pull with the 9.5" prop, I decided against trying it. I need something to fly until the P-47 gets here! There are plenty of inexpensive motors out there that will work with this. Rewinding the stock motor for a lower KV might be an option for those skilled enough to do that. Thanks for pointing out the link to the HL P-47. I was seriously considering that one, until I saw this one at I-Hobby Expo last month.
MR2
MR2...I realize the PZ 109 motor has or had it's problems as I have no idea if PZ ever addressed the cracks in the plasic since I never owned one, but I sure would like to try that HL 4 blade with the 109 720kv motor just to see the numbers.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade
Old Nov 14, 2010, 11:08 AM
Chicago Northwest subs
Joined Jan 2007
2,240 Posts
Quote:
MR2...I realize the PZ 109 motor has or had it's problems as I have no idea if PZ ever addressed the cracks in the plasic since I never owned one, but I sure would like to try that HL 4 blade with the 109 720kv motor just to see the numbers.
Maybe something like this would be the ticket:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8482

I agree the 109 numbers would be interesting to see. I also think the P-47 with it's open cowl, as opposed to the 109's enclosed cowl with huge spinner, would keep the motor cooler than it would be on the 109. So maybe it would be a good application, if you happened to have one on hand. I wouldn't pay what they want for one to find out, though!
MR2
minirips2 is offline Find More Posts by minirips2
Old Nov 14, 2010, 12:54 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,604 Posts
Quote:
Maybe something like this would be the ticket:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8482

That motor would spin the 4-blader for sure, but the plane is going to be slooooooooow
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Nov 14, 2010, 01:09 PM
netherlands
Joined Mar 2010
1,374 Posts
i was just looking att the manual and saw that the wings screw on the fuse with 3 screws , i hope it is more tighter now than say my corsair wing with one screw

and a question to DAVE

i have ordered the flap and retracts , is there new tape in the package to hide the wires ????

thx
patrick39 is offline Find More Posts by patrick39
Last edited by patrick39; Nov 14, 2010 at 01:28 PM.