HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 07, 2011, 06:37 PM
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined Feb 2010
555 Posts
Well.... I am happy to report a successful maiden tonight.

This is my first plane w/ gear... so I did about 5 take off's and landings on 2 batteries... Everything went very smooth.

I did program the ailerons as flaps and it seemed to slow it down a decent bit for landings... I guess I should just cut in the normal flaps now.

Thanks everyone for the tips.
D.
dmize is offline Find More Posts by dmize
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2011, 07:22 PM
Joined Nov 2009
31 Posts
2450 lbs, 482 cubic inches,563 hp, 5000 miles and I'm on my second set of rear tires. Come on summer! It's time to play with the car and the planes. Ted
Grauen Wolf is offline Find More Posts by Grauen Wolf
Old Apr 07, 2011, 07:28 PM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grauen Wolf View Post
2450 lbs, 482 cubic inches,563 hp, 5000 miles and I'm on my second set of rear tires. Come on summer! It's time to play with the car and the planes. Ted
Looks like a Superformance...

and back to P-47's.....
LICobra is offline Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade
Old Apr 07, 2011, 07:35 PM
Holy Roller
United States, MA, Taunton
Joined Dec 2008
423 Posts
Has anyone mentioned a great way to cut the flaps loose is to use a new fine tooth hacksaw blade? Not the little triangle piece, but the large section closest to the fuselage. I've seen quite a few pics of this area that people cut with an xacto blade and they didn't look very good. I took a brand new fine tooth hacksaw blade and carefully made the cut. It removed just enough material and the cut was almost perfectly smooth. I just used a file (my wife's nail file, much to her chagrin, LOL) to smooth it out completely! I'll post some pics of it later if anyone is interested.

BTW, I just finished my build. It was an absolute pleasure to build! One of the most fun models I've built yet! It came out great thanks to the advice and tips in this thread from all you fine people!!! Thanks to you and Tim at Quantum Hobbies for hooking me up! Can't wait to maiden this thing!
johnsma22 is offline Find More Posts by johnsma22
Old Apr 07, 2011, 07:48 PM
CV-63/VR-62
New Haven, MI
Joined Aug 2009
486 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I'll be putting mine together this weekend.
Scottmac737 is offline Find More Posts by Scottmac737
Old Apr 07, 2011, 07:49 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsma22 View Post
Has anyone mentioned a great way to cut the flaps loose is to use a new fine tooth hacksaw blade? Not the little triangle piece, but the large section closest to the fuselage. I've seen quite a few pics of this area that people cut with an xacto blade and they didn't look very good. I took a brand new fine tooth hacksaw blade and carefully made the cut. It removed just enough material and the cut was almost perfectly smooth. I just used a file (my wife's nail file, much to her chagrin, LOL) to smooth it out completely! I'll post some pics of it later if anyone is interested.

BTW, I just finished my build. It was an absolute pleasure to build! One of the most fun models I've built yet! It came out great thanks to the advice and tips in this thread from all you fine people!!! Thanks to you and Tim at Quantum Hobbies for hooking me up! Can't wait to maiden this thing!
nice tip. i hate cutting twice. your right, i'm not pleased completely with my cut. next time i'll do this.
ryramZ is online now Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 07, 2011, 07:55 PM
Holy Roller
Joined Dec 2008
423 Posts
It really surprised me how effortless it was using the fine tooth hacksaw blade. The key is to make very slow and short strokes. There was no tearing of the foam AT ALL and it removed the perfect amount of material to create a nice space.
Old Apr 07, 2011, 09:19 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,920 Posts
I got three flights in on the P-47 tonight!!

I love this plane. It's somewhat amazing how much like the T-28, Corsair, Mustang BL, and Wildcat this thing flies.. They're each a slightly different flavor but if you can fly one well, you'll feel right at home with any of them. The P-47 has plenty of power but similar speed to the others while seeming quite a bit heavier.

My plane has the full house with the Eflite retracts and flaps. I'm running the Extra 300 prop, a 50A ESC and a 3A UBEC just to be safe... so I figured I would give 4s a try.

The motor seems to hold up just fine!! Very nice speed, unlimited vertical, etc. Very solid and impressive performance.

Does anyone doubt the motor's ability to take 4s for prolonged use? If not...I'll do it again.

Also... you guys and your Cobras... very cool :drool:
MRGTX is online now Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Apr 07, 2011, 09:56 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgtx View Post
also... You guys and your cobras... Very cool :drool:

+ 1,000,000 !!
Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Apr 07, 2011, 09:57 PM
Littleton, CO
Joined Nov 2010
1,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsma22 View Post
It really surprised me how effortless it was using the fine tooth hacksaw blade. The key is to make very slow and short strokes. There was no tearing of the foam AT ALL and it removed the perfect amount of material to create a nice space.
Good tip. I've never been happy with the way my exacto cuts came out. Hopefully, I won't have to use it anytime soon - at least on this plane.
Lilienthal is offline Find More Posts by Lilienthal
Old Apr 07, 2011, 09:58 PM
Joined Oct 2009
129 Posts
Deleted
DangerDave is offline Find More Posts by DangerDave
Last edited by DangerDave; Jan 31, 2012 at 01:56 AM.
Old Apr 07, 2011, 10:05 PM
AMA 52726
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jun 2005
1,493 Posts
The PZ P-47 spoils you. I am having a hard time going back to a plane without retracts and flaps. Now, I want all my planes to have flaps at a minimum. Darn PZ P-47... lol
Edge767 is offline Find More Posts by Edge767
Old Apr 07, 2011, 10:13 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerDave View Post
I have personally destroyed 2 stock motors on 4S...
Replaced them with a Power 25 which is doing just fine
Yikes...what prop were you running on the stock motors that burned up?
Thanks for the info though. I like this plane enough to spring for a Power25...I may have to go that route too.
MRGTX is online now Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Apr 07, 2011, 10:30 PM
Holy Roller
Joined Dec 2008
423 Posts
Before my posts about using a new, fine hacksaw blade to cut the flaps gets buried, here are some pics of how nicely the cuts came out (plus a couple more ). This is definitely the way to go! A buddy of mine tried to use an x-acto knife with new blades and his came out awful! He was p!ssed when he saw how good a fine tooth hacksaw blade works.

Old Apr 07, 2011, 10:50 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
2,836 Posts
what!? no pics of what a good a fine tooth hacksaw blade looks like?

that definitely does a schweeeet cut

thanks for the pics
HuffDaddy is online now Find More Posts by HuffDaddy