SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 02, 2011, 03:17 PM
London, UK
Joined Mar 2010
249 Posts
im currently flying the T28D, looking for something with a bit more oomph. does the p47 fit the bill compared to the T28?
i also like the sound of retracts.
vygec is offline Find More Posts by vygec
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2011, 06:54 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vygec View Post
im currently flying the T28D, looking for something with a bit more oomph. does the p47 fit the bill compared to the T28?
i also like the sound of retracts.
I would say it has a bit more straight out of the box. If you really want to leave the T-28 in the clouds trying to figure where you went, go to a 40amp esc and a 10x10 apc prop. I don't know that my T-28 will ever come down from the ceiling again. Working on my replacement P-47 now. Tragic accident took the first If this one goes in I'll replace it too.
V2rider is online now Find More Posts by V2rider
Old Apr 02, 2011, 08:31 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V2rider View Post
On the P-47 I've flown the stock prop, an 11x8 and an 11x7x3MAS as well as the 10x6x4 apc. All on the stock motor and 3s. Oh and a very short flight with a 10x10 APC.
On the power 25 in the Rhapsody I have only flown the 11x7 and 11x8 apcs. One flight on 3s and the rest have been 4s. Your right though, most of my flying is half to 3/4 throttle with a few WOT runs down the runway. I set my timer for 6 minutes on both planes. After those 6 minutes I'm only having to put back between 1300-1500ma in the 4s on the Rhapsody. Usually put between 1000 and 1200 back in the 3s on the P-47.
U flew a 10/6/4 apc on the stock set up. How did it perform, how bout flight times. Also where did u get it.
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 02, 2011, 09:11 PM
CV-63/VR-62
New Haven, MI
Joined Aug 2009
498 Posts
I just pick up a PNP P-47 at Toledo today for $150. I'm looking forward for some nice weather in the next few weeks for a nice maiden.
Scottmac737 is offline Find More Posts by Scottmac737
Old Apr 02, 2011, 09:54 PM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,196 Posts
If you have basic flying experience, you're gonna love this P-47 Scott!!! Good luck on the maiden, she's real easy to fly.
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Apr 02, 2011, 09:59 PM
CV-63/VR-62
New Haven, MI
Joined Aug 2009
498 Posts
PZ Corsair with a Power 10 motor and a stock PZ T-28.
Old Apr 02, 2011, 10:18 PM
Well experienced novice
Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
523 Posts
Maidened my P-47 today. 54 degrees F and gentle breeze. Take off was a little rocky. set her down right away and second attemt was a little smoother. Flew sweet, gentle and very responsive. Put the flaps and gear up and she really screams!! Flaps and gear down and approach was rocky and unsteady. Gave her some power to pull around for another go and on a fairly tight left banking turn she stalled out and nosed in. Broke the wing and the root. Smashed the cowl and broke the prop. Not used to a foamy the stalls so easily. My corsair and t-28 would have had no problem pulling out of that manuver. Overall impression: This bird is not nearly as forgiving and previous PZs I've flown but in flight performance is outstanding. Going to have to step up my game a bit and learn how to harness this one. Wing repaired with Ca+ and looks like she'll hold. Have a spare prop. Just need a new cowl and I'll give her another go.
fionabalogna is offline Find More Posts by fionabalogna
Old Apr 02, 2011, 10:21 PM
CV-63/VR-62
New Haven, MI
Joined Aug 2009
498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fionabalogna View Post
Maidened my P-47 today. 54 degrees F and gentle breeze. Take off was a little rocky. set her down right away and second attemt was a little smoother. Flew sweet, gentle and very responsive. Put the flaps and gear up and she really screams!! Flaps and gear down and approach was rocky and unsteady. Gave her some power to pull around for another go and on a fairly tight left banking turn she stalled out and nosed in. Broke the wing and the root. Smashed the cowl and broke the prop. Not used to a foamy the stalls so easily. My corsair and t-28 would have had no problem pulling out of that manuver. Overall impression: This bird is not nearly as forgiving and previous PZs I've flown but in flight performance is outstanding. Going to have to step up my game a bit and learn how to harness this one. Wing repaired with Ca+ and looks like she'll hold. Have a spare prop. Just need a new cowl and I'll give her another go.
Sorry to hear that. I'll be sure to get some thumb time with the T-28 and Corsair this spring before I maiden mine.
Old Apr 02, 2011, 10:25 PM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmac737 View Post
PZ Corsair with a Power 10 motor and a stock PZ T-28.
You're fine. I wouldn't sweat it. Go for it! Once you get the approaches down (which won't take long), you'll get addicted to touch & goes.
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Apr 02, 2011, 11:00 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryramZ View Post
U flew a 10/6/4 apc on the stock set up. How did it perform, how bout flight times. Also where did u get it.
Stock motor yes, but I switched out the 30 amp for a 40amp esc. The prop still only drew 29 amps WOT static. I only flew it for one flight on a fairly windy day. Speed was down from stock, seemed to have good thrust as it could pull itself through the wind pretty good. I switched to the 11x8 for the next flight and fell in love with the speed.
I'm using a power 25 and 60 amp this time so I can use the HL 4 blade when they get them in stock again.
Old Apr 02, 2011, 11:36 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fionabalogna View Post
Wing repaired with Ca+ and looks like she'll hold
CA becomes very brittle. I wouldn't trust it to hold wing cracks very long....
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Apr 03, 2011, 12:09 AM
Joined Jul 2010
395 Posts
A video:

On YouTube,

watch?v=VndlMCzNsFM&lc=q1puR__6-R_j1V2fmfYMknRJQ9SXG3y3IDgPEQmNOag&feature=inbox
cmerighe is online now Find More Posts by cmerighe
Old Apr 03, 2011, 12:11 AM
No Guts, No Glory!
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
3,218 Posts
cmerighe... try this link

Parkzone P-47D Thunderbolt (3 min 18 sec)

great flight vid and very cool effect on the 'freeze frame/snapshot'!

I like that runway too, I wish I had something like that where the tarmac was nice and wide like that, mine is half that width I bet... makes the windy flyin' days extra 'exciting'

if ya want, just update your post with your YouTube link and I'll delete it from my post, just trying to help ya make that great vid available so we all can check it out
HuffDaddy is offline Find More Posts by HuffDaddy
Last edited by HuffDaddy; Apr 03, 2011 at 12:37 AM.
Old Apr 03, 2011, 08:25 AM
"Air to Ground in No Time"
USA, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Feb 2011
245 Posts
Hey Fionabalogna,
Did you make that turn with the flaps down? I had an issue with my 47 with tight turns at slow speed. It seems that with tighter turns, it takes more throttle to keep altitude. I wrecked mine trying to line up an approach for landing and I dont even have flaps. It is a great plane at speed, but for me, any tight or quick turns below full throttle, she seems to want to drop. It slows so quick, there is not enough lift to keep it up and I had better have some altitude to compensate. If you are using your flaps in a turn, I was just interested if you were experiancing the same thing but only worse.
fupshaw383 is offline Find More Posts by fupshaw383
Old Apr 03, 2011, 09:12 AM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fupshaw383 View Post
Hey Fionabalogna,
Did you make that turn with the flaps down? I had an issue with my 47 with tight turns at slow speed. It seems that with tighter turns, it takes more throttle to keep altitude. I wrecked mine trying to line up an approach for landing and I dont even have flaps. It is a great plane at speed, but for me, any tight or quick turns below full throttle, she seems to want to drop. It slows so quick, there is not enough lift to keep it up and I had better have some altitude to compensate. If you are using your flaps in a turn, I was just interested if you were experiancing the same thing but only worse.
Had this explained to me a few month back. Took me a while to find the post, but here it is.
Originally Posted by paladin-34
Your stall speed increases with bank, the formula is:

Banked stall speed = level stall speed/cos of bank angle

So a plane that stalls at 25mph, in a 60 degree banked turn has a stall speed of 50mph. Same plan at 65 degree bank stall speed is 59mph. At 70 degree bank is 73 mph stall speed. Now I know you are saying “I’ve banked steeper than that.” That is because when your bank increases beyond what your air speed can support your plane starts to draw from inertia (stored energy), and the power factors of your motor. If you deplete all, the max speed vs stall, inertia, and power factors, you have a stall. That is how I’ve seen the most new scale pilots lose their pride and joy. Its always good to be able to return to what you know, sport low wing barely subsonic. But the beauty of that is if you want to fly scale speed you can use that stick on the left of your Tx (right on mine). Adding three clicks for turns and maneuvering for insurance.

My 2 cents
Joe

Long story short, in a turn with flaps down better keep the wing as flat as you can or be ready to add power fast.
Last edited by V2rider; Apr 03, 2011 at 09:15 AM. Reason: ...