HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 19, 2011, 01:06 PM
Joined Jul 2009
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishon2 View Post
I know this comment is going to sound dumb, but (for those of you who have flaps on the p-47) How much do the flaps actually change the planes flight characteristics during take-offs , landings, and slow flight? Is it really noticeable or just very slight?
I have recently purchased the Parkzone P-47 and all I can say about the flap mod is that it makes landings much nicer. In the 4 flights I've put on the plane so far, each landing was made simpler because the plane holds a nice glide path and slows beautifully. If I drop the flaps with the throttle between 25-30%, the P-47 floats slowly down toward the runway and I can fly it just a couple feet above the runway for awhile. I've done landings in my two flights today where it settled into a nice slow descent, got over the runway with a few feet to spare, held a bit of up elevator and slowly pulled back the power and the P-47 floated in for a picture perfect landing. I will have to ask a buddy to videotape the next flight so I can post it here for all to see.

I don't ever user flaps for takeoff with any of my planes that are so equipped, so I can't speak to the benefit there. I find the P-47 with the stock prop and electrics flies very well and don't plan to change anything at this point.
jpdjr is offline Find More Posts by jpdjr
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2011, 01:08 PM
Pushin' the Limits
Bellingham,WA.
Joined Jan 2008
2,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilienthal View Post
For overall wing strength, I'm thinking more in terms of a second spar located in front of the wheel wells - similar to, but shorter than the original spar - probably cut from cf sheet, but maybe just thin plywood. IMO CF can be overkill on a foam plane.
That's probably true. Actually I just spent the last hour or so checking out tutorials, videos, etc., on glassing foam planes and to be honest all though I'm sure I could probably pull off a half way decent job it just looks like a lot more than I want to tackle. Not to mention cost, time, and if you don't do a good enough job then you are out the $30.00+ $$'s for a wing and would just have to order another. I have installed quite a few CF rods in wings over the past few years and few much more confident with that. Not to mention, if you think about it even though fiberglassing would certainly add a lot of strength in essence you'd just have a "shell' around the part you are trying to strengthen and in reality if you smack that hard enough it would still break and chunk off piece's that might actually be harder to fix/piece back together. Of course this is just speculation on my part as I have never done this process before. But that's how I envision it. Plus, I do not own a spray paint system and there's no way that I'd ever be able to get the glassed section sanded smooth enough and painted to match the rest of the plane. So I think at this point for me a new wing with added CF spar(s) would be the way to go. Just my 2 cents.

-B
Olias is offline Find More Posts by Olias
Old Mar 19, 2011, 04:10 PM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuffDaddy View Post
mine occurred by using #4

1. hard landing (rubbing wing tip) causing the wing to over flex
2. aerobatics with an over powered motor
3. normal scale flying, easy landing and the wing just gets fatigued
4. flying into nearby light post @ throttle

I might add that I have approx 45+ spirited flights on mine w/o showing any crackage... up until #4 anyways
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilienthal View Post
I have 40 or so flights on mine and didn't get any wing root cracking until I screwed up.
So far thats a good thing with both of you reporting 40+ flights with no cracks until actual damage occured.
I have to ask Moonbean who reported the wing crack a while back, as I don't think he pranged his before the crack
LICobra is online now Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade
Old Mar 19, 2011, 07:29 PM
United States, CA, West Hills
Joined Dec 2010
90 Posts
Turnigy 60A Plush ESC

Hi Guys,

I am planning on putting a turnigy 35-42 1250KV motor and Turnigy 60A plush ESC. My question is can i fit this 60A Esc in the esc slot without cutting the foam or doing any mods?

Guys who have installed 60A ESC in their P-47s please advise and also if some one can post a picture, that will be awesome.

Thanks in advance.
zsultan is offline Find More Posts by zsultan
Old Mar 19, 2011, 09:05 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
I have a hobbywing 60a that I plan on adding, it will require cutting as it is thicker and wider.

For those of you going to the power 25 what Kv rating?
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Mar 19, 2011, 09:23 PM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
I have a hobbywing 60a that I plan on adding, it will require cutting as it is thicker and wider.

For those of you going to the power 25 what Kv rating?
I know a few guy's are using the 870kv, but im using the 1250kv for the increase in rpms.
LICobra is online now Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade
Old Mar 19, 2011, 09:23 PM
AMA 884978 KKN6KY
United States, CA, Barstow
Joined May 2007
2,201 Posts
Mine is the 870kv. I used a Turnigy 60 in mine as that was what I had. It fit into the stock slot pretty well - I did not trim or cut anything. I am running the HL 4 blade 11" prop on mine and it pulls about 45 amps max at WOT so the 60 really is overkill. I use 3s1p 2650 25c Blue batteries and fly about 6 minutes.

Hillbille
hillbille is online now Find More Posts by hillbille
Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:25 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Sweet I got the 1250, as a larger prop is not possible due to the gear.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Mar 20, 2011, 12:03 AM
Barrel Roll Joe
United States, NY
Joined Feb 2011
81 Posts
love this plane
Flyin High 2 is offline Find More Posts by Flyin High 2
Old Mar 20, 2011, 12:16 AM
Pushin' the Limits
Bellingham,WA.
Joined Jan 2008
2,849 Posts
Quote:
My question is can i fit this 60A Esc in the esc slot without cutting the foam or doing any mods?
I am using a Turnigy Plush 60amp ESC and did not have to cut/trim anything. Fits great, nice and snug. Sorry I don't have a pic available right now.

I'd also like to report that I got 3 flights in tonight after my wing repairs from last weekend. To refresh the memory....Both wings were broken (due to a crash) along the infamous panel lines right along the fuselage. Between filling the breaks with 15 minute epoxy as well as inserting 3 3" CF rods on one side and 1 3" CF rod (on the side that wasn't broken as bad) I am happy to report that the wing is solid as a rock and showed no signs what so ever of bending or flexing after a lot of rolls and a few loops. It's probably stronger now than in it's original state. I love this plane!

-B
Olias is offline Find More Posts by Olias
Old Mar 20, 2011, 12:20 AM
United States, WA, Camano Island
Joined Nov 2009
21 Posts
I'm going to buy a P 47 this coming week. It has been a tossup between the T 28 and the P 47 and I'm leaning towards the P 47. I plan on doing the flap mod right away, so it slows down for landings. Do I need to get a new esc? Any tips would be helpful.

Thanks
camboat
camboat is offline Find More Posts by camboat
Old Mar 20, 2011, 12:23 AM
AMA 52726
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jun 2005
1,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by camboat View Post
I'm going to buy a P 47 this coming week. It has been a tossup between the T 28 and the P 47 and I'm leaning towards the P 47. I plan on doing the flap mod right away, so it slows down for landings. Do I need to get a new esc? Any tips would be helpful.

Thanks
camboat
No need for new ESC. The ESC in the P-47 is designed to handle the load of the flap servos and even retracts (according to Dave from Parkzone).

Read this entire thread, or at least browse through it. There is lots of good info here. Also, there is a P-47 modifications thread that is good to look through for tips/tricks.
Edge767 is offline Find More Posts by Edge767
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Inspections
Old Mar 20, 2011, 12:35 AM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,027 Posts
If your running spektrum radio i would advise to run a bec but as far as the esc, it runs on 4s batt no problem even if your pulling 38amps static. Seems to be very under rated. I fly my trojan on 4s and axi 2826/12 swinging a 12x6 apc prop and never had a problem.
gewiens is offline Find More Posts by gewiens
Old Mar 20, 2011, 01:04 AM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICobra View Post
So far thats a good thing with both of you reporting 40+ flights with no cracks until actual damage occured.
I have to ask Moonbean who reported the wing crack a while back, as I don't think he pranged his before the crack
That's a big 10-4 Rubber Duck. I no we just talked on the phone about this earlier this evening, but I thought I'd share with the folks here. Out of what is now 44 flights on my P-47 I've had maybe 4 "hardish" landings, nothing severe, but a good solid slap-down. I want to say it was somewhere around 30 to 34 flights (I'd have to go back through the thread to find my post about it), I decided to look at the wing root area because someone had mentioned getting "another crack" this time on their brand new wing after only a handful of flights. Sure enough, I had one too.

Now that crack may have been there a while, I didn't notice it until I specifically looked for it, so I can't accurately say when it actually happened. I've done maybe a total of 7 flights off of grass fields, all the rest are off paved runways.

Note of Interest: The right side wing root is where the crack is/was, which is also the side that I have slop in my retract. The hole where the strut rod goes into the retract mechanism appears to be "whollered" (is that even a word?), out a bit. With the set screws on both struts tightened VERY tight, I only get a small amount of play on the left side. But a lot on the right. This sometimes causes a bit of "shimmy" with the right side strut. It's possible that the vibration of the shimmy helped cause the crack even though they are at least 4 inches apart. Most likely it's not linked, but it's a thought to consider.

Solution: Just be sure to check that area for a possible crack, at least every 5th flight. Hot glue is the best fix for it. CA is not. It will crack again if you use CA.
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Mar 20, 2011, 03:48 AM
Inverted tail dragger
Australia, WA, Kalamunda
Joined Jan 2008
614 Posts
Hi all,
Ive now had this plane now for 2wks with 23 mins of flite time,I did the retract an flap install yesterday...which took 5hrs .other than that she's an awesome plane.
Anyway today was flying at the club day and while 3mins into my 1st flite I had a brown out for some reason,but after about 5sec I had control again and managed to land..wow this old heart just does not like that much excitment.Well we had a look at all the connections and the XT 60 solder's but nope there was not prob's there,but what was happening was the Rx was flashing 1 flash every second....what does this mean? Should I now install a Bec or change the Esc or change the Rx? The plane is a stock outta the box Bnf and my Tx is a JR Dsx9.
I just need the advise before I fly it again,cause this plane is to good to risk another flite
cheers
-Jeff
1st timer is offline Find More Posts by 1st timer
Last edited by 1st timer; Mar 20, 2011 at 08:20 PM. Reason: add some photo's