HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 03, 2011, 08:27 AM
NEVER GIVE UP!
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Nov 2010
733 Posts
Has anyone tried these batteries?

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=16692

Also how much flight time am I looking at with 2200mah 25c zippy battery? mixed throttle flying of course, i hope its not less than 5 mins
Brooklynstar23 is offline Find More Posts by Brooklynstar23
Last edited by Brooklynstar23; Mar 03, 2011 at 10:16 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2011, 10:06 AM
Littleton, CO
Joined Nov 2010
1,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoHeliNut View Post
I reeally wish E-flite would sell replacment trunions.

Did ya miss my earlier post.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5226
I've noticed that my E-flight retracts are getting looser - perhaps because I fly off of grass. I'm not sure that metal trunions alone would solve the problem. I think you need metal bearing surfaces for the trunions as well.
Lilienthal is online now Find More Posts by Lilienthal
Old Mar 03, 2011, 10:44 AM
UK
Joined Nov 2009
236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbille View Post
It is also an indication that with this motor/prop combination I need to get bigger capacity batteries!!

Hillbille
I run an 11 x 6.5 four blade prop and use a 3200mAh 25C battery, seems to work nicely.
Is the pitch adjustable on your four blader ? Mine came pre-set at 11 x 10 but it was an Amp eating monster at that pitch, adjusted it back to 6" pitch and it's a nice 35A now.
James321 is offline Find More Posts by James321
Old Mar 03, 2011, 11:44 AM
USA, AR, Fort Smith
Joined Aug 2010
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynstar23 View Post
Has anyone tried these batteries?

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=16692

Also how much flight time am I looking at with 2200mah 25c zippy battery? mixed throttle flying of course, i hope its not less than 5 mins
i have a zippy 2200 mah 25c that ive ran in my p-47, flew for around 8-9 minutes with no problems, this was completely stock of course.
with the 300 prop around 5 minutes
galdionite is offline Find More Posts by galdionite
Old Mar 03, 2011, 11:44 AM
It's just a plane.
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynstar23 View Post
I use 2200 30C and something I did on one of my first flights was to set the timer on my Dx6i to count up mode and then flew until I hit LVC (about 8 minutes, I think). I then set my timer to 6 1/2 minutes and use that. I like having some extra juice in the battery in case I need more than one pass to get her lined up properly for landing.
ZackJones is offline Find More Posts by ZackJones
Old Mar 03, 2011, 12:07 PM
NEVER GIVE UP!
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Nov 2010
733 Posts
cool thanks boys
Brooklynstar23 is offline Find More Posts by Brooklynstar23
Old Mar 03, 2011, 12:23 PM
United States, OH, Delaware
Joined Mar 2006
738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingfield View Post
Try these, Ive had no problems 50 plus flights.http://www.nitroplanes.com/pz-15090-retract.html
Why are they so cheap? Am I missing something here?
McCleary.11 is offline Find More Posts by McCleary.11
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 03, 2011, 01:21 PM
Well experienced novice
Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbille View Post
Okay, so I asked if the 4 blade 11' prop from Hobby Lobby had been tested and if so for some specs. Well I had ordered two of them and really wanted to put them on for flight as I think the Jug just doesn't look right with only two blades swinging.

Take off roll.

Hillbille
Hillbillie,
I noticed that the plastic part of your landing gear is silver, mine is black. Did you paint that part or did I forget to install a part? Also, the front edge of the retract mount on mine doesn't sit flush with the wing, it's recessed a couple millimeters but the rear edge sits more or less flush. Is this normal? May be stupid questions and my gear seems to function just fine.
fionabalogna is offline Find More Posts by fionabalogna
Old Mar 03, 2011, 01:38 PM
AMA 884978 KKN6KY
United States, CA, Barstow
Joined May 2007
2,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fionabalogna View Post
Hillbillie,
I noticed that the plastic part of your landing gear is silver, mine is black. Did you paint that part or did I forget to install a part? Also, the front edge of the retract mount on mine doesn't sit flush with the wing, it's recessed a couple millimeters but the rear edge sits more or less flush. Is this normal? May be stupid questions and my gear seems to function just fine.
Yes as a matter fact I did do a little coloring - used a silver sharpie to cover the black plastic of the retract. You're the first to notice that so I must have done a fair job! The slight "cant" of the gear is to allow the wheel to fit flush in the wheel well and be straight when it is down too. It's not always perfect on model airplanes but it's pretty close on this one.

The wheels should have a small amount of toe out when down as it helps steering and ground handling and also promotes slowing from landing speed. Toe in actually makes the plane's speed remain higher after landing and is harder to control at slow speed during taxi. It's all that high school geometry, trig, and physics at play in the real world!! LOL!!

Hillbille
hillbille is online now Find More Posts by hillbille
Old Mar 03, 2011, 01:48 PM
Well experienced novice
Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
523 Posts
Thanks Hillbillie! I feel much better now. I think I'll do the sharpie thing too, I like it, where should I send the check for copyrite infringement?
fionabalogna is offline Find More Posts by fionabalogna
Old Mar 03, 2011, 01:53 PM
AMA 884978 KKN6KY
United States, CA, Barstow
Joined May 2007
2,278 Posts
Well...LOL!! BTW - don't forget that you need to cycle the retracts open AND closed to get all of the black areas covered!! LOL!!

It's the little details that make each bird different!

Hillbille
hillbille is online now Find More Posts by hillbille
Old Mar 03, 2011, 03:39 PM
United States, GA, Jonesboro
Joined Nov 2010
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilienthal View Post
I've noticed that my E-flight retracts are getting looser - perhaps because I fly off of grass. I'm not sure that metal trunions alone would solve the problem. I think you need metal bearing surfaces for the trunions as well.
take your retract out and make sure the set screw that holds the strut in is tight. mine started wabbling a lot more on landings, i took it out and locktighted and tightened it and fixed the prob.
gchrisgo34 is offline Find More Posts by gchrisgo34
Old Mar 03, 2011, 03:41 PM
Super-duper Airplane flooper
USA, OH, Toronto
Joined Oct 2009
54 Posts
Maiden flight today

The Jug had her first flight today. It was stock with flaps and the Eflite retracts. Flew great. I set the timer for 5 min and let 'er go. After rotation and tucking in the gear I flew rolls, loops, split S, Immelmans. When the timer started singing, I dropped the gear, dropped the flaps and she settled in for a beautiful 3 pointer right in from of me.

For the next flight I switched to what i thought was a 10X7 prop. This time the Jug was incredible!! She had so much power that verticals were outta sight (almost) and it had the coolest sound, kinda like a howl LOL

Then......The LVC kicked in at about 3 min. WTH? I droped the gear and brought straight in.

When I got back to the bench, I took the prop of to check it and low and behold it was a 12.5 X 8.5. What power! What performance! Too bad it sucked the electrons outta the 2200 pack so fast LOL

Well that'll teach me!
TFOA is offline Find More Posts by TFOA
Old Mar 03, 2011, 03:46 PM
Littleton, CO
Joined Nov 2010
1,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchrisgo34 View Post
take your retract out and make sure the set screw that holds the strut in is tight. mine started wabbling a lot more on landings, i took it out and locktighted and tightened it and fixed the prob.
Thanks for the tip, but I already tried that.
Lilienthal is online now Find More Posts by Lilienthal
Old Mar 03, 2011, 07:16 PM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Mar 2007
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilienthal View Post

Over time probably true. The plastic shell of the retract will probably start to wear.

Try what gchrisgo34 said first if you havn't done it yet. See if the strut itself might needs to be tightened.

I don't have to worry like you do since I fly out at Chatfield.
ColoradoHeliNut is offline Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut