HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:52 PM
Highlands Ranch Colorado
Joined Sep 2010
59 Posts
Just installed my E-flite 10-15 retracts. Followed ChuckTSeeker's video. Thanks Chuck was very simple and looks great! Not going to install the flaps, I know they look cool but it is soooo easy to land. Put in a E-flite 60-amp Pro ESC. Using the Extra Prop on stock motor with 4 cell/30c it pulled 58 amps and over 700 watts. Now if the weather would just cooperate I will be a very happy camper!
vinman0725 is offline Find More Posts by vinman0725
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:40 PM
Kentucky
Joined Jan 2011
40 Posts
Has anybody tried hand launching yet?

Wondering if anyone has tried hand launching yet? Sometimes due to field issues, I will probably need to hand launch. Full throttle shouldn't be needed or wanted, due to torque roll, but curious if anyone has done it yet.
flynfish67 is offline Find More Posts by flynfish67
Old Mar 01, 2011, 12:45 AM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
Is everyone using the throws suggested in the manual, for high and low rates?
What about expo, what are you using for high and low?
Are you using a single Dual Rate switch or do you use a switch per control surface?
What are you using for landings, low rates?
Just wondering.
Need2Fly is offline Find More Posts by Need2Fly
Old Mar 01, 2011, 01:25 AM
Zadar, Croatia
Joined Aug 2010
135 Posts
I am using throws from manual, DR for landing and flaps are set on slider switch. Usualy landing with low rates and 70% flaps, expo is set to 40% on all surfaces.
ddark is offline Find More Posts by ddark
Old Mar 01, 2011, 07:14 AM
NEVER GIVE UP!
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Nov 2010
733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddark View Post
I am using throws from manual, DR for landing and flaps are set on slider switch. Usualy landing with low rates and 70% flaps, expo is set to 40% on all surfaces.
really you have 40% expo even on low rates of 70%? how does she respond with those settings?

Also....

What batteries is everyone using for her, what brand, size and discharge rate without cg effecting too much....I need a good battery that will enable me to use the FY20A (got one real cheap and for those in the PZ Corsair thread who know my endevour in the wind) I use 3 gyros because if I had to wait for a day without wind or low winds I would only be able to fly 3 times a year, maybe.. So the FY20A will replace the 3 gyros but it does need to be on the CG....Also going to to put flaps in as well so I am going to put a SportBEC in her from Dimension Engineering...what do you guys think? Oh and RX is Ar7000...I would like to leave room to upgrade so I think I am going to put a ESC in right off the bat...how does this one look for you guys? http://www.scorpionsystem.com/catalo...4S-Com45A-ESC/

I plan on belly landing her...should I tape the leading edges of the wings just in case?
Brooklynstar23 is offline Find More Posts by Brooklynstar23
Last edited by Brooklynstar23; Mar 01, 2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old Mar 01, 2011, 07:26 AM
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Jan 2011
258 Posts
For all of you that are running 3c 2200mah @ 7-8 min of flight time, What is the voltage on the pack after the flight?

Also what prop would that be using?
dnahas is offline Find More Posts by dnahas
Old Mar 01, 2011, 09:42 AM
Ambitious, but rubbish
Corpus Christi, Texas
Joined Aug 2010
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnahas View Post
For all of you that are running 3c 2200mah @ 7-8 min of flight time, What is the voltage on the pack after the flight?

I'm getting between 10-12 minutes with a final battery voltage of about 10.1-10.8 volts upon landing. I use Blue Sky Lipos rated at 20C. I spend a fair amount of time at WOT and I have yet to hit LVCU. Motor and ESC are stock.

If I restrict flight time to 7-8 minutes, voltage at landing is around 11.1-11.5 or so. The batteries come down warm, but not anywhere near hot. ESC the same. Don't know about the motor since I'm not willing to take the cowl off to find out.
I use the stock 2 blade prop.
rcfalcon56 is offline Find More Posts by rcfalcon56
Old Mar 01, 2011, 10:31 AM
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Aug 2010
985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnahas View Post

I set my timer to 5:30 minutes and try to have her down in 6 minutes or close. I have flaps, retracts and fly stock except for the extra 300 prop and fly mostly 2/3 throttle mixing it up with some WOT and 1/2 throttle. My voltage when I come down is between. 11.1 Volts and 11.4 Volts or 3.7 Volts and 3.8 volts on each individual cell. I try not to ever run any of the individual cells below 3.7 volts or the pack below 11.1 volts since doing this will decrease the amount of charging life cycles for the batteries, and those suckers are expensive. 3.7 volts per cell is minimum recommended amount you should go if you want maximum life out of your batteries (though you can go lower if you don't care.) These recommended voltages did not come out of my head but from one of the leading RC plane publications.
Hope this helps.
flydown is offline Find More Posts by flydown
Old Mar 01, 2011, 11:20 AM
Pushin' the Limits
Bellingham,WA.
Joined Jan 2008
2,849 Posts
Just curious....for those of you who are taking the time to check/read your batteries after a flight to get these figures. How long are you waiting to take these readings? What's the "proper" amount of time? I've noticed that when I check right after a flight that 10 min.'s or so later that number has changed a bit. Usually it's a digit or two or three higher than when it 1st comes down. I assume that as the batteries cool down they also go through a sort of, well, not re-balancing per se` but re-adjusting or what ever. I was always told to wait about 10-15 min.'s for an accurate reading. Does this sound about right? Thanks

-B
Olias is offline Find More Posts by Olias
Old Mar 01, 2011, 11:32 AM
GEEBEE Can't WAIT!
USA, OR, Seaside
Joined Dec 2010
1,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V2rider View Post
What? Not getting the Hurricane?
DOH that didn't even cross my mind
perschek is offline Find More Posts by perschek
Old Mar 01, 2011, 11:38 AM
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Aug 2010
985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olias View Post
Just curious....for those of you who are taking the time to check/read your batteries after a flight to get these figures. How long are you waiting to take these readings? What's the "proper" amount of time? I've noticed that when I check right after a flight that 10 min.'s or so later that number has changed a bit. Usually it's a digit or two or three higher than when it 1st comes down. I assume that as the batteries cool down they also go through a sort of, well, not re-balancing per se` but re-adjusting or what ever. I was always told to wait about 10-15 min.'s for an accurate reading. Does this sound about right? Thanks

-B
Usually when I get home so they are cooled down by then.
flydown is offline Find More Posts by flydown
Old Mar 01, 2011, 11:40 AM
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2011
430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydown View Post
I set my timer to 5:30 minutes and try to have her down in 6 minutes or close. I have flaps, retracts and fly stock except for the extra 300 prop and fly mostly 2/3 throttle mixing it up with some WOT and 1/2 throttle. My voltage when I come down is between. 11.1 Volts and 11.4 Volts or 3.7 Volts and 3.8 volts on each individual cell. I try not to ever run any of the individual cells below 3.7 volts or the pack below 11.1 volts since doing this will decrease the amount of charging life cycles for the batteries, and those suckers are expensive. 3.7 volts per cell is minimum recommended amount you should go if you want maximum life out of your batteries (though you can go lower if you don't care.) These recommended voltages did not come out of my head but from one of the leading RC plane publications.
Hope this helps.
I have the exact same setup as above but come down at 6-6:30 mins with an individual cell voltage of 3.65-3.67. I would like to point out the rule above holds true but is for a resting voltage of 3.7v per cell and not under load. My packs wind up being 3.71-3.73 rested after they have sat for about 5-6 mins. If you slap a lipo on charge without it being rested and it's showing 3.7v you'll only wind up putting back in about 70-75% instead of the 80% rule.

That's what I've seen so far and some sound advice from Flydown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olias View Post

-B
That's the difference I was trying to point out in my post above and is commonly referred to as rested vs. loaded volts on a pack.
PnoT is offline Find More Posts by PnoT
Old Mar 01, 2011, 11:44 AM
United States, CT, Brooklyn
Joined Oct 2009
246 Posts
My wife told me "dont believe everything that you read" I read on this thread to get Hobby-partz #77p-91 retract gear which I did and which turned out ,was to wide.. I then bought #77p-90 gear ,,which is to deep and will not sit in the wheel well..I have a different wing on my PZ p-47 with non standard wheel wells or people are putting out bad info on this thread..
Anyone else use Hobby -partz ,part number #77p-90 retracts on their p-47???.
Aeroplanecolt is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplanecolt
Old Mar 01, 2011, 12:29 PM
Ambitious, but rubbish
Corpus Christi, Texas
Joined Aug 2010
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfalcon56 View Post
I'm getting between 10-12 minutes with a final battery voltage of about 10.1-10.8 volts upon landing. I use Blue Sky Lipos rated at 20C. I spend a fair amount of time at WOT and I have yet to hit LVCU. Motor and ESC are stock.

If I restrict flight time to 7-8 minutes, voltage at landing is around 11.1-11.5 or so. The batteries come down warm, but not anywhere near hot. ESC the same. Don't know about the motor since I'm not willing to take the cowl off to find out.
I use the stock 2 blade prop.
OOPs, sorry about this, but I seem to have gotten my groups crossed. The above information is for the PZ Corsair, not the TBolt. For what it's worth, none of my batteries are puffed and Blue Sky's are cheap at $14.00 each when HobbyPartz has them in stock, so I don't worry about longevity.
rcfalcon56 is offline Find More Posts by rcfalcon56
Old Mar 01, 2011, 12:50 PM
United States, CA, Rancho Palos Verdes
Joined Sep 2010
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynfish67 View Post
Wondering if anyone has tried hand launching yet? Sometimes due to field issues, I will probably need to hand launch. Full throttle shouldn't be needed or wanted, due to torque roll, but curious if anyone has done it yet.
Yes. I tried it once as noted earlier in this thread and replied to by Hobbyzone. The bottom line is that you really need to give it a good throw even though the plane may feel like it's being pulled right out of your hand. If you just let go or give it a light toss, it will sink like a stone before, hopefully, it gets airborne. Hand launching is fine, but don't be shy with the throw.

For landings on grass, I'm also now belly landing. Nothing worse than the landing gear hitting a particularly rough piece of grass and then nosing over and bending the tip of the rudder. I regularly fly in 2 different places where one has grass and the other has pavement.

Hope that helps.
Infernal Bill is online now Find More Posts by Infernal Bill