Selling my replacement airframe

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post17511844
perschek is offline Find More Posts by perschek
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2011, 11:56 PM
United States, GA, Jonesboro
Joined Nov 2010
1,638 Posts
i wonder if it would be feesable to build a mainly plastic rc plane. plastic molded with perhaps a honey-combed interior for strength. hinged control surfaces. would be great for belly landings. carbon-fiber reinforced wings. i was just wondering if a company started producing some, how would the market respond to them. let me know what you guys think. good quality of course
gchrisgo34 is online now Find More Posts by gchrisgo34
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:23 AM
old pilot
Rapid City SD
Joined Dec 2007
3,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchrisgo34 View Post
i wonder if it would be feesable to build a mainly plastic rc plane. plastic molded with perhaps a honey-combed interior for strength. hinged control surfaces. would be great for belly landings. carbon-fiber reinforced wings. i was just wondering if a company started producing some, how would the market respond to them. let me know what you guys think. good quality of course
It would depend on the type of plastic, and current stuff doesn't beat foam or balsa/covered. The likely problems are heavier weight or splintering with thumping. Foamies are so durable and easy to fix The fuselages on my Mustang and Corsair have both been broken in half X2 (being cool with high speed Turnigy motors) and are still flying great. I'm hoping the P47 airframe build on the table (with power 25) does better

Icky
Ickarusmelt is offline Find More Posts by Ickarusmelt
Last edited by Ickarusmelt; Feb 25, 2011 at 12:30 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 01:11 AM
United States, GA, Jonesboro
Joined Nov 2010
1,638 Posts
made out of a hard ethylene or styrene mix, so its a bit flexible and hard. would probably be a bit heavier than foam, but more durable in some ways. unless you had a VERY hard crash, it would be very durable. you couldnt glue it back together like foam, but plastic is cheap. if a control surface broke, you could probably tape them back together with some strong tape. i used to work for a plastic company, and you can make any kind of plastic you want, some plastics are almost as hard as steel, but still light weight. just a hypothetical question, something to think about
gchrisgo34 is online now Find More Posts by gchrisgo34
Old Feb 25, 2011, 02:53 AM
The Neterlands, Europe
Joined Apr 2010
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PnoT View Post
Well i patiently awaiting my changesun retracts and they finally showed up today and noticed they do not come with the piece to attach the wheel to the shaft.

If someone else has any ideas or if I'm missing something please chime in =/
Why don't you just bent the strut on the right length, put the wheel on the bended part, cut off to much strut and then put a stopper on it (Sorry for my bad English. I'm from Europe)
Rogier is offline Find More Posts by Rogier
Old Feb 25, 2011, 04:57 AM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Mar 2007
3,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpt1205 View Post
Not to rain on your parade--but you will be taking your chances with HK retracts. You may be just fine, but I've seen so many complaints it's silly... E-Flites are pricey when compared to HK retracts, but as the saying goes...[in general]"You get what you pay for...". i hope everything works well. They may have improved on v2 retracts as was mentioned.
First of all I do have E-flite retracts in my Jug.

BUT!
Let me tell ya. I put E-Flite 10-15 sized retracts in my Venom F-86. On the second landing the trunnion on the nose retract snapped like a twig. It was a nice landing too. The AUW was under the 4.5lb limit too.

The only thing I found in the same size range & that is stronger is the new ChangeSun V2 retract because the trunnion is made out of metal. The V2 is rated to 5.5lbs. I was not going to spend another $50 on a single E-flite retract for my F-86. For $16 I'll take my chances.

Now, one would say to just get the 15 to 25 sized E-flites. I don't think so. The ONLY difference between the 10 to 15 & the 15 to 25 sized retracts is the strut size. That means the hole is larger in the same plastic trunnion to acomidate the larger size strut making it weeker IMO.

Granted, I doubt the electronics are as good in ChangSun V2, but for $31 a set I'll be putting them in the new Hurricane when it comes out.

I got mine at http://www.x-flight.com.hk/index.php...&more=&lang=en too in just under a week.
ColoradoHeliNut is offline Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut
Last edited by ColoradoHeliNut; Feb 25, 2011 at 05:05 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 05:11 AM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Mar 2007
3,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by perschek View Post
Flew my p47 and it didn't stall!! Had a problem on landing though. Was about 15mph cross wind. So she automatically nosed into it which is where my car, my ultimate 20-300, and I were standing. Hat cam caught the horrible landing on video )!@#$* Hesitant to upload it though, don't want you guys thinking I'm THAT crappy of a pilot ;-) Was going to take it back up and do a good landing and cut it into the video, but thats boring now isn't it.

LOL, been there done that a long time ago.

Do you have a sim? Ya need to learn how to do a Side Slip.

http://www.langleyflyingschool.com/Pages/Slipping.html
ColoradoHeliNut is offline Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut
Old Feb 25, 2011, 07:29 AM
Pushin' the Limits
Bellingham,WA.
Joined Jan 2008
2,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty_horn View Post
Bryan,
My wife called me last night when she happened to be about 100ft from HobbyTown so I asked her if she would run in there and pick up some of the white stuff that they were out of that crazy night I ran all over the country trying to find a way to make black and white stripes. So, anyway, last night I ripped the white tape off of the right side wing and replaced it with the white trim stuff and then I cut pieces of black and white stripes for the other side and covered up my paint job. Now all I need is my esc so I can get this dang thing in the air!!! I don't even check in here much anymore because I get too excite to go fly and when I get home to go look at my plane i see it hanging from the ceiling with parts hanging out of it and I want to puke because I still can't fly it!
What's that you say!???...your wife called YOU to ask if YOU needed anything from the hobby shop!?? Can I get an AMEN!! I think about 20 guys all just thought the same thing at the same time when they read that...man, she's gotta be the worlds best wife! LOL Actually mine is, but yours is a very-very close 2nd.

I hear ya on the can't fly and wanna puke scenario. Fewer things are more frustrating. Either having the good weather and not all the parts ya need to get in the air or visa-versa. Check it out...I originally told my bro when I was thinking about getting this plane that I was just going to take my time and save up and get all the needed components and be ready to fly in the Spring. Ya right! That lasted 2 seconds once the airframe arrived! LOL Mind you, I HATE flying in cold weather. Nuthin' about it that I like what so ever. It's hard on the plane, the batteries, and most of all my old body! But here I am....did my maiden of yet another plane in late February. Which is another thing......why the heck doesn't HH change up their production schedules and announcements so we are hearing about new planes in the Fall and having them released in the Spring just in time for decent flying weather?? Don't know how many times I've told myself that I'm not going to buy another plane in the winter, but heck, that's when the majority are released! What's a poor fella to do. LOL Hang in there bud.

-B
Olias is offline Find More Posts by Olias
Old Feb 25, 2011, 07:32 AM
England
Joined Nov 2005
1,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogier View Post
hehe.... thanks for the tip! Will order 2 tonight. Found a shop in Germany who ships for free within Europe.. so a P47 with retracts for about 170 Euro (approx $230) NICE!! Now will look around for a nice AR500 and hit the skies..
Which store is that please ?

Thanks
netdudeuk is online now Find More Posts by netdudeuk
Old Feb 25, 2011, 09:37 AM
Ambitious, but rubbish
Corpus Christi, Texas
Joined Aug 2010
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchrisgo34 View Post
made out of a hard ethylene or styrene mix, so its a bit flexible and hard. would probably be a bit heavier than foam, but more durable in some ways. unless you had a VERY hard crash, it would be very durable. you couldnt glue it back together like foam, but plastic is cheap. if a control surface broke, you could probably tape them back together with some strong tape. i used to work for a plastic company, and you can make any kind of plastic you want, some plastics are almost as hard as steel, but still light weight. just a hypothetical question, something to think about
This was tried many years ago and the result was something called the DuraPlane. It was meant as a trainer. It was heavy, and didn't fly very well, though it has a large fan base. It's only redeeming quality was that it was almost indestructable. We called it the Duracrash since we never saw anyone who successfully trained and soloed on it without crashing it numerous times.

There was another company called US Aircore that made planes from CoroPlast, the stuff many political campaign and regular ad signs are made of. This lead to the SPAD movement- Simple Plastic Airplane Design. These are made of CoroPlast and PVC rain gutter material. They are cheap, and fly reasonably well. SPADs have their own group in various forums though the fever seems to have died down somewhat from just a couple of years ago.
rcfalcon56 is offline Find More Posts by rcfalcon56
Old Feb 25, 2011, 09:45 AM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olias View Post
What's that you say!???...your wife called YOU to ask if YOU needed anything from the hobby shop!?? Can I get an AMEN!! I think about 20 guys all just thought the same thing at the same time when they read that...man, she's gotta be the worlds best wife! LOL Actually mine is, but yours is a very-very close 2nd.

I hear ya on the can't fly and wanna puke scenario. Fewer things are more frustrating. Either having the good weather and not all the parts ya need to get in the air or visa-versa. Check it out...I originally told my bro when I was thinking about getting this plane that I was just going to take my time and save up and get all the needed components and be ready to fly in the Spring. Ya right! That lasted 2 seconds once the airframe arrived! LOL Mind you, I HATE flying in cold weather. Nuthin' about it that I like what so ever. It's hard on the plane, the batteries, and most of all my old body! But here I am....did my maiden of yet another plane in late February. Which is another thing......why the heck doesn't HH change up their production schedules and announcements so we are hearing about new planes in the Fall and having them released in the Spring just in time for decent flying weather?? Don't know how many times I've told myself that I'm not going to buy another plane in the winter, but heck, that's when the majority are released! What's a poor fella to do. LOL Hang in there bud.

-B
well actually she only called because she knew that we were out of money and I would probably only need something that would cost a few bucks
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Old Feb 25, 2011, 09:46 AM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
coloradohelinut,
what hurricane are you speaking of?
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Old Feb 25, 2011, 09:50 AM
GEEBEE Can't WAIT!
USA, OR, Seaside
Joined Dec 2010
1,422 Posts
Side slip?? I'll google it the link didn't work..

:-D
Old Feb 25, 2011, 09:53 AM
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2011
430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogier View Post
Why don't you just bent the strut on the right length, put the wheel on the bended part, cut off to much strut and then put a stopper on it (Sorry for my bad English. I'm from Europe)
I emailed their support and they mentioned bending the strut as well to fit but I'm a little uncomfortable about doing that and, with my luck, I'd break the damn thing.

I'll see what type of axle adapters they have at the LHS as that might be a better route for me.
PnoT is offline Find More Posts by PnoT
Old Feb 25, 2011, 09:56 AM
GEEBEE Can't WAIT!
USA, OR, Seaside
Joined Dec 2010
1,422 Posts
Hey cool I learned something! Will practice that today!