HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2011, 08:17 AM
Bray, UK
Joined Aug 2009
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart warne View Post
BTW has anybody tried the retracts on grass, its all I'll ever be able to fly off of.

S.
Yes, I have been using the retracts just fine off not-very-smooth grass. I find I get the occasional low speed nose over, either when I first feed in the throttle (i.e. when it tries to start moving off and the wheel is stuck behind a little clump of grass) or at the very end of a landing when I am about to start trying to taxi. Absolutely no damage and certainly nothing to worry about. I do find that taking off with flaps seems to make nose-overs a little more likely, but worst case, I give the plane a little shove in the right direction and then hit the throttle before it has time to stop rolling and it is right as rain.
bluefisherking is offline Find More Posts by bluefisherking
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2011, 08:30 AM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefisherking View Post
Yes, I have been using the retracts just fine off not-very-smooth grass. I find I get the occasional low speed nose over, either when I first feed in the throttle (i.e. when it tries to start moving off and the wheel is stuck behind a little clump of grass) or at the very end of a landing when I am about to start trying to taxi. Absolutely no damage and certainly nothing to worry about. I do find that taking off with flaps seems to make nose-overs a little more likely, but worst case, I give the plane a little shove in the right direction and then hit the throttle before it has time to stop rolling and it is right as rain.
Excellent. Thanks!
GradyLee is offline Find More Posts by GradyLee
Old Feb 10, 2011, 08:33 AM
Pushin' the Limits
Bellingham,WA.
Joined Jan 2008
2,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuffDaddy View Post
heeeey, that's a fair question

I'm thinkin' that when companies test products to bring to market there is a certain amount of documentation that can be shared with the consumers to inform them of what associated/peripherial products could be recommended or compatible with their plane... right?

I'd be interested to know that maybe if I spent a few extra dollars on servos that I would stand a better chance of not experiencing hardware failure mid-flight

-Mark
Ok, folks are probably going to take this wrong, I hope not, especially Dave E. or anyone associated with Horizon Hobby or ParkZone or what ever because this is not a bash. I repeat, this is not a bash.

I think the question HuffDaddy and others are asking from time to time is a fair question. No, I do not expect HH to go out and test all the other brands of servos etc., and give us a huge compilation of technical jargon of what all works with their motors, esc's etc. but, what I do find very frustrating is that no information is given on any of the ParkZone electronics. If you go to order a ParkZone motor or servos on HH's site there is zero specs. Not even size dimensions or weight for the motor. Why is that? The only piece of electronics that I ever see specs on are the E-Flite products (ESC's). I think that is wonderful and of great value.
It seems to me that a huge amount of threads/posts (and Dave E.'s valuable time) could be eliminated or at least cut way down if folks had that information and could decide for themselves. It's not like we need or want you to hold our hands and have to constantly answer the same questions over and over. Heck, you have more important things to do like concentrating on developing the new PZ P-40. Point is, when I order any other brand of electronics from any other site be it in China or the USA the specs are always listed. Regardless if some over rate or under rate their stuff at least there's a ballpark figure, a good starting point to build from. To me it kind of seems like a marketing ploy sometimes to keep us in the dark when it comes to PZ electronics, like, just trust what we tell you. To me that's not giving the loyal paying customers a chance or choice to make our own decisions of what electronics to use based on given information. If we decide to go with some other set up and land up burning out our electronics or crash our planes because of it then that's our fault, but it's hard to even make these decisions sometimes because of the lack of info. Hope this makes sense.

Let me reiterate and be perfectly clear here....I only own 5 planes. They are all PZ Warbirds withe the exception of 2 HZ Super Cubs (which I ordered through HH). I also had an E-Flite P-47 (my favorite!). My latest is the new Jug. I love them all. I buy them because of the quality, looks AND fantastic support from HH. I love HH and the fact that Dave E. and others from HH even take the time to drop in at RC Groups and help out as much as possible. Seriously. So please do not take this as a personal attack or bashing or what have you, because it truly is not. It is just my personal opinion about the only frustration that I've ever had with PZ products. I hope this is taken as it was intended and doesn't get blown out of proportion or drag out into multiple posts taking us way of topic. The original question(s) were related specifically to electronics for the PZ P-47 and I had/have the same questions and concerns otherwise I would not have posted. Thanks for listening.

-Bryan

P.S.
Got my E-flight retracts in yesterday and installed!! LOVE em'!!
Olias is offline Find More Posts by Olias
Last edited by Olias; Feb 10, 2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 09:19 AM
Rockford, IL
Joined Oct 2003
969 Posts
Quote:
heeeey, that's a fair question

I'm thinkin' that when companies test products to bring to market there is a certain amount of documentation that can be shared with the consumers to inform them of what associated/peripherial products could be recommended or compatible with their plane... right?

I'd be interested to know that maybe if I spent a few extra dollars on servos that I would stand a better chance of not experiencing hardware failure mid-flight

-Mark
It is really not a fair question because even if they have tested other companies products it would be very stupid for them to say so because they would have no way to know when or if the other companies made changes in their products that would change the result.

Tom Moody
Tom Moody is online now Find More Posts by Tom Moody
Old Feb 10, 2011, 09:22 AM
No Guts, No Glory!
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
3,095 Posts
Tom,
well, Horizon Hobby has in fact on a few occaisions stated here on this thread that they have in fact tested other hardware or are aware of the headroom needed for other hardware (so they must know the specs of the 'other' hardware)... I could be wrong about that but at least that's the way I read it

therefore, I feel it's a fair question

-Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Moody View Post
It is really not a fair question because even if they have tested other companies products it would be very stupid for them to say so because they would have no way to know when or if the other companies made changes in their products that would change the result.

Tom Moody
HuffDaddy is offline Find More Posts by HuffDaddy
Old Feb 10, 2011, 09:26 AM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
Dave, thank for taking the time to read through all of this stuff! Seriously. I have thanked you and HH support so many times but honestly a "thanks" isn't enough for what you do. I have never heard of another company who puts themselves out there like HH does. You must get frustrated at times with some of us but I want to assure you that 99% of the people in the PZ threads are here because we are honestly sick in the head over our planes and we can't stop working on them even in our minds so we sit around on the computer at work and at home when we should be sleeping just so we get a PZ plane fix whenever possible. It is kind of like drugs I guess :-)
Anyway Dave, thanks for being here. We love our PZ planes!
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Old Feb 10, 2011, 09:33 AM
GEEBEE Can't WAIT!
USA, OR, Seaside
Joined Dec 2010
1,422 Posts
Got my robart 122 mini retractable tail wheel about 1/2 way installed!! Just have to set up the servo and servo arm!
perschek is offline Find More Posts by perschek
Old Feb 10, 2011, 09:35 AM
Pushin' the Limits
Bellingham,WA.
Joined Jan 2008
2,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty_horn View Post
Dave, thank for taking the time to read through all of this stuff! Seriously. I have thanked you and HH support so many times but honestly a "thanks" isn't enough for what you do. I have never heard of another company who puts themselves out there like HH does. You must get frustrated at times with some of us but I want to assure you that 99% of the people in the PZ threads are here because we are honestly sick in the head over our planes and we can't stop working on them even in our minds so we sit around on the computer at work and at home when we should be sleeping just so we get a PZ plane fix whenever possible. It is kind of like drugs I guess :-)
Anyway Dave, thanks for being here. We love our PZ planes!
Amen and +1 to that!!

-B
Olias is offline Find More Posts by Olias
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:15 AM
Littleton, CO
Joined Nov 2010
1,209 Posts
+1 Olias
I too am a loyal Horizon Hobby customer, but am frustrated with the fact that they are so secretive with their specs.
Lilienthal is online now Find More Posts by Lilienthal
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:16 AM
netherlands
Joined Mar 2010
1,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt soap View Post
My red heeler cattle dog provides security for my warbird.Even with 3-5 planes in the air at the same time, She know's my p-47.

did you use the stock pitch on that scale prop ???
thx
patrick39 is offline Find More Posts by patrick39
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:38 AM
AMA 884978 KKN6KY
United States, CA, Barstow
Joined May 2007
2,165 Posts
Quote:
Tom,
well, Horizon Hobby has in fact on a few occaisions stated here on this thread that they have in fact tested other hardware or are aware of the headroom needed for other hardware (so they must know the specs of the 'other' hardware)... I could be wrong about that but at least that's the way I read it

therefore, I feel it's a fair question

-Mark
It really is NOT a fair question and I will tell you why. You represent yourself, a single consumer. If you like or dislike a product you are FREE to state that without repercussion. On the other hand Dave E. represents a corporation. Dave E. is not allowed to make any statement about ANY other product - GOOD or BAD - than the ones his company sells or controls and even then he is limited in his response to "customers" by his company (the array making up the corporation!).

For Dave E. Its called restraint. He shows a good deal of it to BOTH sides - those that copy, clone, backward engineer and generally degrade products his corporation is responsible for AND for those that couple the "other" products with his and then yell "FOUL" when something happens!

I'm a huge fan of Dave E. as I have seen him attacked both corporately and personally in these threads (remember he represents HH in multiple other venue's) and have never seen or read him to be nasty or mean to anyone (unlike a LOT of other representatives of "other" products here!). He has gotten short - but people that have read the exchanges are surprised mostly by how much RESTRAINT he shows with his responses than anything else.

I have (like others here) multiple E-Flite and Parkzone planes - i.e. The E-Flite P-47 Razorback, PT-17 Stearman, DH2C Beaver, A P-38 Lightning and a PT-19. I have a 3 Parkzone Habu's, A Corsaur, A T-28, and of course the P-47D. Those are my bonifides to be able to speak on the subject! LOL!!

Thanks Dave. I know you can't slam another product nor can you "promote" them and maybe now this subject is closed! LOL!! Let's get back to talking about the fabulous Parkzone Thunderbolt!!

Hillbille
hillbille is online now Find More Posts by hillbille
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:50 AM
Joined Nov 2009
978 Posts
I think its a legit and fair question that can be answered without letting any "secrets" out but to help the people who purchase these planes. Should I be concerned now that I have flaps and retracts on my P47 knowing that the current stock ESC may not be able to handle it at some point?

Shawn
SMCLEODVT is offline Find More Posts by SMCLEODVT
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:56 AM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central And Western District
Joined May 2001
5,650 Posts
Hi guy's, tell me what you think of this below: I've finished the P47 now and just setting it up, but I noticed that one of my retracts is really rather slopping when locked in compared to the other. Have any of you with the retracts found this? I'm considering sending the slopping one back to Horizon.

S.

Sloppy E-FLITE retract ? (0 min 29 sec)
stuart warne is online now Find More Posts by stuart warne
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: JR P-38 take 2.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 12:01 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
3,095 Posts
OK, just for a little clarification on where I am coming from... I have managed to gather a garage FULL of ParkZone products over the last 5-6 years... about 95% of everything I do is via Horizon Hobby...it's a dog-gone sickness I tell ya! and I am one happy camper with ZERO doubts, regrets or anxiousness about any of it and am really looking forward to buy ooodles more ParkZone goodies... just glance at my blog

lastly... I have the highest respect and admiration for David E. and the other HH guys that particpate openly in this forum and feel they should NEVER get lambasted like they do... I do not condone anything less than positive communication with them, ever... and think it's nothing less than a class act... they have had a multitude of opportunity over the years to blast their competition and never do, well done guys!

just in case there are any doubts as to where I stand (or sit)...

I LOVE DAVE EICHSTEDT!! HE'S A ROCK STAR IN MY EYES!!

I LOVE MY PARKZONE WARBIRDS!! THEY ARE AWESOME!!

-Mark Huff
HuffDaddy
HuffDaddy is offline Find More Posts by HuffDaddy
Old Feb 10, 2011, 12:21 PM
Joined Nov 2009
978 Posts
cool - a stalker
SMCLEODVT is offline Find More Posts by SMCLEODVT