HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:05 PM
Boring holes in sky & runway
Michigan
Joined Jun 2004
269 Posts
Fyi I pullled the motor out to sneak some lead weihts against the inside of foamtube in the area around the motor.
Waterbug is offline Find More Posts by Waterbug
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2013, 09:53 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
I've been flying my MONMOA for a year now. 2650mah 25mm from all the way forward gives me a cg of 65mm. Inverted flight all day long. The stock prop was cut .75 " on both blades. Lots, 6, cooling holes in spinner backing plate. 3/16" hole in spinner nose. Cooling air exit hole cut in fuse bottom just in front of the wheel hump. It's .5 x 1.25 ". All control throws are at max on both the servo and surface. I use a 6mm carbon steel wing brace. 10" for most use and a 20" for high wind. It's highly acrobatic and most flights are over an hour with 5-7 climb outs. For mostly thermal flight vs acrobatic I use a 1500mah lipo which gives me a total weight of less than 1000g and a cg at 73mm. I junked the stock plastic wing bolts and went with brass bolts and steel cinch nuts attached to ply and epoxied under the wing mount. The wing is very rigid, especially when flying with the 20" wing brace rod. I use 30% down elevator at full throttle mix to ease the nose down some while under power. Flaperons when set to 70% drops the nose 30 degrees and lots of elevator keeps her level and falling like a stone. 30% aileron differential keeps the turns very smooth with little or no tendency to yaw. I'm going to give spoilerons a try next time out.
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Last edited by rtbates; Mar 15, 2013 at 10:05 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 12:13 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,107 Posts
My Minimoa is in the trimming out stage. It is flying better all the time.
I've got mixes for the aileron/rudder, throttle/elevator, and spoileron/elevator.
The spoilerons work nicely with some down elevator trim mix added in.
Differential will be the next thrim adjustment.

Like rtbates, I was amazed at the axial roll rate and inverted flying abilities of this plane. The first attempt at inverted flight resulted in an outside loop as I overestimated the amount of down elevator that would be needed.....it actually takes fairly a small amount and with a little rearward cg, probably none. Amazing with a gull winged glider.

The nylon screws were replaced with aluminum screws. After 2 flights I knocked the nut out of the plastic nut retainer for the wing bolt. A few taps with a small screwdriver knocked the nut retainer loose and the nut was glued back in and the nut retainer glued back on. If this happens again I will go with the threaded plywood solution.
Another mod I made was using the newspaper-glue covering to cover the the outer 5" of the wingtips as they looked very flimsy. They are now very strong.

My glider came with a 9x5" prop which I guess is their solution to the motor overheating problem.

Overall, I'm very happy with this glider. I also have the FOX, EasyGlider, Cloudflys and SkyClimber gliders. In order of thermal/floater capabilities, I'd rank them SkyClimber/Minimoa, CloudFlys/Easyglider, and the FOX.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Mar 24, 2013, 01:31 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,672 Posts
This must be the worse Electric Powered Glider I have come across!

The Rudder is completely ineffective and under power the model has a mind of its own.

We have had two rescue sessions of an RC Club member, Rodney who acquired this model and just does not seem be controllable at all.

On his second flight attempt, he even placed more rudder throw and hoping for better rudder control and it veered off again towards the freaking Pine Tree again but, this time he was ready and shut down the power and was able (Somehow) to bring it back to the field for an okay landing.

Some pictures of one good buddy "Marked" who rescued Rodney's Minimoa!

I have told Rodney to just buy the Park Zone Radian and stop fooling with this model!

This happened on Friday, 03-08-2013 the day before the FUN FLY and you see Mark S. and Rodney I. in the following pictures.

I picked up Mark with his Utility Pole and came over to the club after I telephoned him informing him that Rodney had lost his Electric Powered Glider up on a Pine Tree way up approximately 60 feet up.

With Mark's Utility Pole, the recovery was possible and the Electric Powered Glided sustained minimal damage.

Rodney is a happy camper!

PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2013, 01:44 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,107 Posts
[QUOTE=PittSpecial;24518843]

The Rudder is completely ineffective and under power the model has a mind of its own.

We have had two rescue sessions of an RC Club member, Rodney who acquired this model and just does not seem be controllable at all.

On his second flight attempt, he even placed more rudder throw and hoping for better rudder control and it veered off again towards the freaking Pine Tree again but, this time he was ready and shut down the power and was able (Somehow) to bring it back to the field for an okay landing.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 01:45 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,672 Posts
Hobby? Mr. Space Coast? Why are you quoting me?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2013, 01:48 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
My Minimoa is in the trimming out stage. It is flying better all the time.

Overall, I'm very happy with this glider. I also have the FOX, EasyGlider, Cloudflys and SkyClimber gliders. In order of thermal/floater capabilities, I'd rank them SkyClimber/Minimoa, CloudFlys/Easyglider, and the FOX.
Sorry Bud,

I did not mean to rain on your parade

I believe the Park Zone Radian is still NUMBER ONE!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2013, 01:57 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
Hobby? Mr. Space Coast? Why are you quoting me?
LOL, got me. I was preparing an answer and went out to check the cg and something interesting happened to my post. Maybe it's the wind today.

Anyway, here was what I was going to say.

Quote:

Really interesting as mine needed to have the rudder throw reduced because it was too effective.

I don't use rudder except when landing and then infrequently. You haven't found the ailerons to be effective?

I agree with the models behavior under power. I've got about 30% down elevator mixed with the throttle to dampen the nose up tendency on power.

Where do you have the cg set? Mines at 65-70mm.

You guys flying today?
Old Mar 24, 2013, 02:00 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
LOL, got me. I was preparing an answer and went out to check the cg and something interesting happened to my post. Maybe it's the wind today.

Where do you have the cg set? Mines at 65-70mm.

You guys flying today?
Flying today? No Way!! It is just blowing like a angry Fat Lady with beans!

I will tell Rodney about the Center-Of-Gravity!

Thanks!
Carlos
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2013, 02:04 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,107 Posts
I know what you mean Carlos, PAFB is reporting 23mph with 30mph gusts. Forecast is for winds diminishing during the week.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 12:02 AM
Southern Darling Downs Qld, Australia
Joined Sep 2010
148 Posts
Hi, my Minimoa is due to arrive this Friday..hopefully. I have a Radian which i have been flying for a couple of years and a Bixler , both planes have been great, many crashes but still flying. Looking forward to having a larger glider with ailerons as i have found this to be one of the limiting factors with the Radian. Thanks for the good pre Maiden info, Cheers Ken
Kennyglide is offline Find More Posts by Kennyglide
Old Mar 26, 2013, 03:25 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
Quote:
This must be the worse Electric Powered Glider I have come across!

Some pictures of one good buddy "Marked" who rescued Rodney's Minimoa!

I have told Rodney to just buy the Park Zone Radian and stop fooling with this model!

This happened on Friday, 03-08-2013 the day before the FUN FLY and you see Mark S. and Rodney I. in the following pictures.

I picked up Mark with his Utility Pole and came over to the club after I telephoned him informing him that Rodney had lost his Electric Powered Glider up on a Pine Tree way up approximately 60 feet up.

With Mark's Utility Pole, the recovery was possible and the Electric Powered Glided sustained minimal damage.

Rodney is a happy camper!

Sorry to hear that. My experience is just the opposite. For the rudder issue, cg? Mine's at 65-73mm and she turns great with rudder only. For the climbing out of control under power add 30% down elevator at full throttle, or do it manually. My friends Radian is no where near the sailplane my MINIMOA is. While I'm fully acrobatic his ain't. Get the wind up and he can't even fly, while I add my 20"carbon steel wing rod, in place of the 10" for more weight and go have a blast. He can float a tad better, that's about it. For a do nothing but fly it the Radian is a better deal. BUT, do the required mods to the MINMOA and it spanks the Radian in all but very light lift. There's lots of info here on rcgroups on what to mod to get her right.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:04 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
spoilerons

Yesterday, while flying in some fairly good wind, 15mph?, I tried both flaperons and spoilerons. Spoilerons work much better. With flaperons I had too little roll control left. With spoilerons set to 80% with 10% down elevator landing was fairly short and slow compared to my trials using neither. Flew for over an hour and at one point the lift was so good she got so high I could barely see the solid black wing underside, so I did several snap rolls, inverted loops, axial rolls, etc just to lose altitude. Even managed my first few inverted snap rolls. I love this sailplane.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 03:53 AM
Southern Darling Downs Qld, Australia
Joined Sep 2010
148 Posts
What Next?

Hi all, just got my Minimoa into the air after a slight mishap on the first attempt. Happy with it but it doesnt seem to float like the Radian . My setup is.3s 2200 Nanotech lipo, standard motor and prop, and tested at around 157 watts. The C of G is at 54mm and 1 of the supplied 2 oz ballast blocks installed just behind the motor . I have drilled the holes in the nose cone ect. and the motor seems ok,although i did feel some REAL heat in the wires coming directly out of the motor and a slightly warm battery . Could this be due to the high discharge rate of the Nanotechs or could it
be that the wiring is just a bit on the light side? I noticed that some people here on this forum are flying with the C of G further back than the recommended distance..... could this be the reason that my plane seems to fly fast and at what i would consider a less than average glide rate with quite a bit of up elevator I did get around 20 min. flights out of it and tried to stay off throttle as much as possible. Cheers Ken
Kennyglide is offline Find More Posts by Kennyglide
Last edited by Kennyglide; Mar 31, 2013 at 04:00 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 11:48 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,107 Posts
cg back turns it into a floater. Use a smaller battery which will decrease the wing loading and move the cg back at the same time. Win-win

My cg is at 65mm now.
Last edited by hoppy; Mar 31, 2013 at 11:56 AM.