SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 20, 2010, 12:34 PM
Brett
Joined Oct 2010
3 Posts
Question
Krick Borkum kit (First boat build)

Hi,
I have been building and flying RC helicopters for 15 years but have been interested in steam for some time. I just ordered a Krick Borkum open launch kit and would like to ask a few questions regarding the build.
What glues and their brands do you recommend?
What sanding sealer and finishes do you recommend? (brands too please)
Special tools needed? (Something to make a specific job easier?)
Please name the retailer you purchased the item from.

I also have a Regner MIDI boiler engine combination on the way for the kit as well.
I have seen a few folks from Portland area on the threads and would like to mention that I was at the Portland Model Power Boat Association float on the 16th and really enjoyed it. Every one was very friendly.

Thanks
waruaki is offline Find More Posts by waruaki
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2010, 10:59 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Dec 2005
1,228 Posts
So far as the kit is conserned I would wait to see what the directions recommend and then ask specific questions if needed.

You should be happy with your Regner engine, I have a few of the Regner live steam locomotives and they run great and are among my favorites.

Steve
steveciambrone is offline Find More Posts by steveciambrone
Old Oct 20, 2010, 11:37 PM
Brett
Joined Oct 2010
3 Posts

Steve,
I've actually reviewed the instructions online and unfortunately the products they mention (glues and finishes) are German. I was just looking to hear what works well that I can buy off the shelf.

Good news about Regner, thanks.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 11:59 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,623 Posts
Uhu? If that is what they recommend, I have seen the full line of Uhu products at my local Michael's Craft Store.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Oct 21, 2010, 01:00 AM
Brett
Joined Oct 2010
3 Posts

I'm just looking for a recommendation on what products you use to build and finish your boats.
Old Nov 05, 2010, 06:02 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
Brett, I'm assuming thats your name
If you've ever built a plane, then you can build a boat. Oim not familier with kit in question, but you want some wood glue laying around. CA glue, I perfer medium action, silicone adheasive, medium cure epoxy.
A xacto hobby back saw and miter box. Xacto knives.... a hard sanding block and a compliment of paper. Sanding sponges in a compliment of grits. Assorted clamps and grips, straight pins, t-pins. Rubber bands.
If you've been modeling for any length of time you should have a lot of basic tools, that yer dealing with helicopters, you should have a lot of basic small hand tools to work with.
Its not daunting, if you have a basic idea of wood working in general, it should just all fall into place.
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Old Nov 05, 2010, 06:27 PM
Just call me "Mo"
NE PDX OR
Joined Aug 2008
817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waruaki View Post
Hi,
I have been building and flying RC helicopters for 15 years but have been interested in steam for some time. I just ordered a Krick Borkum open launch kit and would like to ask a few questions regarding the build.
What glues and their brands do you recommend?
What sanding sealer and finishes do you recommend? (brands too please)
Special tools needed? (Something to make a specific job easier?)
Please name the retailer you purchased the item from.

I also have a Regner MIDI boiler engine combination on the way for the kit as well.
I have seen a few folks from Portland area on the threads and would like to mention that I was at the Portland Model Power Boat Association float on the 16th and really enjoyed it. Every one was very friendly.

Thanks
I hope we've met-I am a member of the Portland club- also a steamer -I may not have made it to the 16th gig!!! More than happy to talk steam , boats or both!! Drop me a PM and I would be happy to give you my cell number and help any way I can.

I live over near Providence Hospital in NE Portland

I have no idea of all the "tools" you will need but here are some random thoughts...:

Sanding Sealer- Minwax from Home Depot or any DIY store
Titebond wood glue
I use Minwax Marine grade polyurethane coating- satin and gloss
I use some Gorilla Glue on specific things( expands and set fast)
CA glues- thin and thick
Various fillers ( typical wood filler and sandable hobby "White Putty"
I have a power scroll saw ( a fret saw / hand scroll saw works too!)
E-xacto knives
A razor saw
Various small hobby sanding sticks
a hand steamer( those hand held versions for cleaning bathrooms etc) for steaming and bending wood when needed
various vises
Dremel rotary tool with flex shaft
sanding blocks
lots of sand paper

Harbor Freight tools has good deals on small things like sets of small detail files, razor knives, sand paper

Check your local hobby shops-

In Portland there is Vic's on NE Broadway( decent supply of hobby wood - mostly train stuff though

Tammy's Hobbies in Beaverton

Not many have boat stuff though

A club is full of helpful people that can and will offer assistance- tools- advice etc-- it can be your best tool if you have one down in Salem - lets talk if you care to!!

Good luck
mogogear is offline Find More Posts by mogogear