HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 19, 2010, 03:27 PM
Joined Jun 2010
4 Posts
Discussion
QuadCopter frame design

Today I got a 20x20mm square aluminum tube, and while I’m waiting for my ESC’s to arrive, I want to see if I can design and make an airframe for my quad instead of buying one from MikroKopter.

The hardware I’m using, besides the obviously, is:
- 12x3.8 Slow Flyer
- Turnigy 2217 860kv 22A Outrunner

Can that design work? Is there a minimum space needed between the propellers when using as large as 12x3.8?

I want my quad to be as compact as possible, but still sustainable.
My experience with quadcopters and aerodynamic is quite low, so any feedback are welcome...
papirkopi is offline Find More Posts by papirkopi
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2010, 04:12 PM
Dorset. UK
Joined Mar 2010
105 Posts
Hi, I have recently made my own quad frame using 30x20mm alloy channel. I am also using 12" props but with bigger Turnigy 35 30 motors. Not sure why you want to use 12" props if you want a compact quad, I would stick with 10" props with those motors and make the frame even smaller. Or if you want a stable quad, go up to approx 600mm motor to motor. My quad is 625mm and weighs 1.5 kg with lipo and is much more stable than my smaller, lighter quad.
Just my thoughts, so feel free to discard.
revogeoff is online now Find More Posts by revogeoff
Old Oct 24, 2010, 01:54 AM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,820 Posts
look up the member warthox for a small quad, his comes to mind, think he is running 8" props. smaller motors, smaller props, smaller frame, smaller arms, etc - you get the idea. if this is for indoors, know that prop wash is a issue till at least 4'. depending on your helo background this may or may not be an issue but if not, it is a real issue. also i have found that different floor materials seems to have an effect on ground effect - harder the surface, the more it seems to effect the quad depending on controller

also, w/ your current setup, you are losing a lot of strength by your mount - mount it so the screws go completely through the arm, not sure your back ground but brushless motors w/ lipos and a 12" prop move a lot of air
bob4432 is offline Find More Posts by bob4432
Old Feb 09, 2011, 03:30 AM
Joined Feb 2011
2 Posts
Guys I know its an old thread but I am looking for a quad (or multi rotor) design with stability and grace in mind. Not worried about size or the ability to do tricks but simply carry a camera etc. Is there a maximum size you can go before it all turns to custard etc?

I am an electrician by trade and worked with motors all my life but these ones are new to me but I am going out to buy a couple to play. The amount of current draw is out of this world to me but will play and find out

Aerodynamics and stuff is a university degree and all that but how do you measure what a motor and prop can efectively lift? My mind tells me that I should be able to get a motor and a prop and basically run it up to speed and measure the force applied by fitting it to a linear sets of scales. But that simple seems to easy. Thoughts?
secs is offline Find More Posts by secs