HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:41 PM
USA, UT, Murray
Joined Jun 2009
28 Posts
Build Log
Static model RC conversion

Ive been wanting to build a square rigger since i was 14 and recently (because of all the build logs) went out and aquired an 80cm static model "amphitrite" boat, i only paid $20.00 for the model new in the box the hull is plank on frame construcion, and quite solidly built. I have already removed the deck and all the cheap plastic off of the hull, I am now sanding and finishing the hull. I will post pictures soon, and believe me when it comes to the rigging and RC...im going to have lots of questions...haha...The only other ship building experience i have is (of course) racing yachts like the thunder tiger victoria (boring). Because of the lines of the hull i am either going to rig her as a clipper or possibly just go with a bark setup, the model came with 4 mast's however i think i will probably go with 3 in the finished product, another nice thing is i have fully functional scale blocks with the model, one less thing to worry about...haha, i need your guys help because the wife is already upset at me for "destroying" my new toy...I am not modeling the ship after any real ship at this point...i figured i could create a unique boat here...any input is much appreciated!
dwil018 is offline Find More Posts by dwil018
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2010, 02:28 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
Hello Dwil !

Great to see another static to RC conversion going ! Please do post some pics and some more specs on the hull you have to give us some more of an impression on what you are planning to do
Also the displacement vs weight of the hull has will be a very important figure..

cheers
MB
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Oct 19, 2010, 09:19 PM
USA, UT, Murray
Joined Jun 2009
28 Posts
Here are the dimensions of the ship Aproximately

Lenght = 34"

Height = 23" - including masts

Width = 8"

Oh and meatbomber, i am honored that you replied to my post, i have seen your work and all i can say is WOW, i hope that this boat comes out half as nice as some of yours.
Last edited by dwil018; Oct 19, 2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 10:06 PM
USA, UT, Murray
Joined Jun 2009
28 Posts
Stock Photos

Here is what it looked like before i took the deck off, i am unable to find any documentation as to when the ship was launched or from where...that is why i am planning to just build a different ship on this hull, any ideas or reccomendations of a ship that would fit this hull would be AWESOME. I have removed the entire deck, and filled/sanded the port holes on the sides, i would like to find a warship i can model on this hull as functioning cannons is something that always interested me i have removed the rudder as well, i will be fabricating a new larger one, as well as adding a keel for ballast. i think the paint is obnoxous so it will be refinished as well. The hull is allready water tight the entire inside is covered in epoxy. I am also toying with the idea of squaring up the stern...the rounded stern just doesnt sit well with me...however the stern is probably the most solidly built part of the hull...so i havent decided if it is worth it or not.
Last edited by dwil018; Oct 19, 2010 at 10:35 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 03:11 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
Hey Dil,

Looks like quite a roomy hull have you checked her in the bath tub yet to check displacement ? The Ship looks more like she`s a clipper hull, so maybe look for a 3masted ship or barque to model after ?
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Oct 20, 2010, 07:57 AM
Joined Dec 2008
43 Posts
That hull definitely looks like it has potential for a good model, but it looks like you're going to have to scratchbuild almost everything from the deck up to get a decent scale model - this is one of those "ornament" ready-made ship models which are made more for their decorative appearance than any sort of scale accuracy, so all of the fittings, deckhouses, railings etc. are heavily simplified and out of scale proportion.

As meatbomber says, the hull looks a lot like a 19th century clipper, the rounded stern is fine for this (not all clippers had rounded sterns, but many did, including the famous Cutty Sark). Conversion to a warship is definitely a possibility, but it'd really have to be a mid 19th-century sloop/corvette type vessel, like the CSS Alabama; earlier warships had very different lines. Most of these had auxiliary steam propulsion, which would give a good excuse to add a motor + prop to your model (very useful when becalmed)!

There's an "Amphitrite" still sailing (http://www.amphitrite.de/) but this is a three-masted schooner with a square stern, so your model presumably isn't based on it. Amphitrite was the Greek goddess of the sea (wife of Poseidon) so there have been quite a few ships named after her over the years!

You'll also need to re-do all the masts, rigging and sails to get the model to sail, though most of the original spars (and fittings like blocks + deadeyes) should be usable - a 3-masted setup, as you suggest, would definitely be a good idea as a 4-masted square rigger at this hull size (fairly small by scale sail standards) would be difficult to manage. If you can find a good set of rigging plans for the "Cutty Sark" (the ship's official shop has them for sale - link) they will give a good reference point for how to set up the rigging and spars for a mid/late 19th century 3-masted square rigger.
E Pinniger is offline Find More Posts by E Pinniger
Old Oct 20, 2010, 05:28 PM
USA, UT, Murray
Joined Jun 2009
28 Posts
I dont think i could bring myself to install a motor so 3 masted clipper she is, the cutty shark will be a good model to base her off of thx for the input, as far as checking ballast im not sure exacly how to do that? just put weight in until the ship is at its water line?

Also the hull is fairly roomy, i just need to cut out some of the bulkheads and they are about 1/2 inch thick and made out of some hard wood, so that will be interesting...haha
Old Oct 20, 2010, 07:59 PM
USA, UT, Murray
Joined Jun 2009
28 Posts
im wondering how i would calculate the approximate scale of this thing to a 19th century clipper...im thinking its around 1:80...well this would be based on the dimensions of the cutty shark.

On a side note, while being bored at work, i began toying with the idea of using carbon fiber mast's and yards, as the clipper is supposed to be built for speed saving the weight above deck makes sense to me, they could be painted to look like wood, and would be quite strong...
Last edited by dwil018; Oct 20, 2010 at 11:32 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 09:31 PM
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Sep 2008
987 Posts
Doesn't really look like any scale ship, more like a fanciful "sort of looks good" build, more for display than any representation of one ship.
That said, I hope you have a great build. Have you tried floating it yet? You'll probably have to hold it upright, as these are scaled down, they end to tip over( usually need a keel weight). Thee are lots of threads to follow here to help you. Luck!
1967250s is offline Find More Posts by 1967250s
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:54 PM
USA, UT, Murray
Joined Jun 2009
28 Posts
I will definately be adding a keel weight regardless of its characteristics, on a side note my dremel broke so im at a standstill until i can replace it
Old Oct 27, 2010, 09:56 PM
USA, UT, Murray
Joined Jun 2009
28 Posts
Got a new dremel the build continues...