HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by GimpyPilot, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:39 PM
T-28C, Extra 300, Beast UMX
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
529 Posts
Discussion
Slingshot Johnny III PZ T-28 Build Log Pt II

Well I don't have photos to post but I have been taking them along the way.

Completed the wing modification and basic paint (Intermediate Blue spray on main wing structure, wing tips, flaps and ailerons left white - lots of contrast and similar to my previous Trojan).

Flaps are in and hinged (tape), flap coves are painted red and look awesome when the flaps are deployed. Flap servo pockets have been routed and dry fit, servo wires are run - control arm and operating rod installation remain to be completed.

The Nav and Anti-Collision lights are installed, and the wire has been hidden in a shallow x-acto slit under the skin - all lights checked out good and they look sick!

Cutouts are in for the Thunder Tiger .10 size main retracts. Going to try and use a single HS65MG servo center mounted in the wing to operate the gear. Location of the servo required some fancy bends for the operating rods, and cutting out some foam in the center bay of the fuselage to clear the servo arm. Installed some light ply reinforcements on both sides to keep servo from twisting when operating. Initial functional/operational tests and adjustment of the mains could occur this evening. The retract units will screw in to the light ply mounting plates I glued into the depression from the stock fixed gear plates.

At this time I am leaning against putting a speedbrake in - challenges are the hinging due to the curvature of the under side of the wing, as well as where to put the servo. This can be added at any time though, so perhaps later.

Fuselage modifications are underway. The upper and lower beacon lights, as well as the taillight have all been installed and wires hidden - checked out good and like the wing lighting, it looks fantastic. I can't wait to get to final assembly and some taxi runs at dusk it should look awesome.

I have cutout the forward belly foam and firewall for the nose retract. This is a real challenge from a design standpoint because I need to locate the nose retract servo (HS65MG) somewhere in the nose to operate the gear without interfering with the strut and tire. I have some ideas but it is really tight in there. The other challenge will be connecting the steering rod - I am trying to avoid the need to install another servo if I can avoid it (weight).

I temproarily assembled the plane last night and plugged in the battery just to see the lighting system in operation, it was incredible. I am very happy with the E-Flite components.

I will be out of pocket tomorrow for a business trip, so tonight will be my last good night until Thursday. Assuming I can wrap up the retract installation and adjustment, I should maiden this weekend and will then finish with custom decals.

Edited to add a few photos:

GimpyPilot is offline Find More Posts by GimpyPilot
Last edited by GimpyPilot; Oct 19, 2010 at 06:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2011, 06:30 PM
Garden Grove, CA
Joined Jul 2008
27 Posts
cool "skin"

wow that's pretty cool skin you have for your T-28

I'm thinking to repaint it too with sea fury skin haha i'm not sure yet

PT3
pilot_type_3 is offline Find More Posts by pilot_type_3