Old Oct 19, 2010, 06:35 AM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,716 Posts
Discussion
Milling Depron

Hi All,

Has anyone done a "How-to" yet on this? Or anyone given any info in other threads?

Am wanting to try milling my next indoor design, but not sure how to hold it or what cutters to use. Have a 1000x400mm table CNC router machine to use.

Would appreciate any assistance
ALEX HEWSON is online now Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2010, 01:52 PM
RC Bum 4 Hire
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined May 2004
1,155 Posts
I use a home built vacuum table on mine, Works great. No option is better IMO for doing depron. Most wood bits work pretty good on depron, its a bit of a personal preference/trial and error to find what works for you and the spindle speed's your machine runs.

Chris
ChrisBowker is offline Find More Posts by ChrisBowker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gen2 Bowker CF hardware
Old Oct 19, 2010, 05:04 PM
Sweden
Joined Nov 2004
106 Posts
Maybe some pictures will explain how I do. No fancy stuff. But it would be nice to have a CNC router.
/Lennart
aeroparts is offline Find More Posts by aeroparts
Last edited by aeroparts; Oct 20, 2010 at 03:52 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 07:37 AM
Joined Apr 2007
23 Posts
I have build a vacuum table for my DIY CNC router for milling Depron. Please find pictures and dxf drawings here: http://www.cnc4rc.com/forum/index.php?topic=6.0
I am using vacuum cleaner as a vacuum pump.

Normal HSS endmills works also great for depron. I am using 6 mm endmill for milling pockets and 2 mm endmill for cutting.
jusos is offline Find More Posts by jusos
Old Oct 21, 2010, 08:08 AM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,716 Posts
Thanks for all the great info guys. I might try both ways, making a vacuume table and also the hand held guide method.

But don't stop with the ideas...
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2010, 09:32 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Apr 2004
82 Posts
You could use Your CNC router to cut some milling templates. Then use these templates to mill the depron manually. You just need to add a copy ring to the dremel attachement. I have a friend with a CNC router, but no vacuum table, so this is how we do ours.
Kimmo Kaukoranta is offline Find More Posts by Kimmo Kaukoranta
Old Oct 24, 2010, 07:33 PM
departure from controlled flt
SF Bay Area
Joined Oct 2004
299 Posts
Alex,

If you're interested in the manual method, Matchless posted a great "how to" thread over on FG. Jeremy shows you how to make both the Dremel attachment and the routing stencils.
http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=21913

It looks like this. I followed his example, but haven't actually milled an airframe yet. Maybe soon...

--
Larry
airportdog is offline Find More Posts by airportdog
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:20 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Apr 2004
82 Posts
I found a couple of pictures to explain my previous post. The first one shows the CNC cut milling templates and the second one some milled parts. The templates in the photo are actually for a different plane than the parts in the other picture, but You get the idea.

The dremel attachement I'm using is exactly like in Larry's photos, and described in the FG thread.
Kimmo Kaukoranta is offline Find More Posts by Kimmo Kaukoranta
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:00 PM
Janne Lappi, F3A Team Finland
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Sep 2008
133 Posts
I used the same templates than Kimmo and I can say it is a very convenient way to do the millings. The job will be done almost during one snap roll Our templates was made from harboard and it worked well.

But you should notice one thing. If you use dremel with a ring in the center of PC board as shown on the photos above, you have to make the slots on the templates "too big". Because there is a bit "dead band" when engraving along the edge of the template.

Janne Lappi
JanneL is offline Find More Posts by JanneL
Old Oct 25, 2010, 02:56 PM
f5b-uk
United Kingdom, Dorset
Joined May 2002
3,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanneL View Post
you have to make the slots on the templates "too big". Because there is a bit "dead band" when engraving along the edge of the template.

Janne Lappi
Very true, and to be honest the effort needed to make a template is not really worth it unless you have access to CNC machinery. However, something that would be worth it would be to make a 90/45/45 triangle and a 90/60/30 triangle and then place these as appropriate to mill your models. Yes, it would take a little extra time positioning them and making sure you didn't overdo the milling, but they could be used on any model instead of having to make a bespoke template for each new model you design.

Mike
Mike Seale is offline Find More Posts by Mike Seale
Old Nov 01, 2010, 05:40 AM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airportdog View Post
Alex,

If you're interested in the manual method, Matchless posted a great "how to" thread over on FG. Jeremy shows you how to make both the Dremel attachment and the routing stencils.
http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=21913

It looks like this. I followed his example, but haven't actually milled an airframe yet. Maybe soon...

--
Larry
Cheers for the link. Will have a go at a few ideas and see what wors best.

Made a makeshift holder for the dremel tonight at work. Should work alright as it seems weighted and balanced well enough.

May grind an old 6mm HSS cutter down to fit in the 1/8 collet
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 01, 2010, 05:43 AM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,716 Posts
The templates I feel are a must for me to try. Will get some 3mm Custom board tomorrow to use for them
RCG Plus Member