SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 18, 2010, 08:16 PM
Mike Brinker
SouthEast Michigan
Joined May 2008
555 Posts
Build Log
Mike's DC-3 (75th Aniversary)

December 17th, 1935 commemorates the first flight of the DC-3. As the 75th anniversary approaches, there are still many of these birds working every day transporting people and cargo all over the world. It is no wonder that the DC-3 is recognized as one of one of the greatest airplanes of all times!

I plan on using a combination of foam and balsa to build a 1/14th scale version of the DC-3. "Light fly's Right" and I hope to be able to build her light enough to fly true to scale. Actually, this bird will be built with similar construction techniques to my P-47D. If only she will fly nearly as nice as the Jug!!!!

While this build won't be as detailed as my P-47 or P-51 build, I will post a lot of pictures and as always, use this 3rd scratch build project as a learning experience. Stay tuned.....
tr6world is offline Find More Posts by tr6world
Last edited by tr6world; Oct 20, 2010 at 11:04 AM. Reason: add photo
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2010, 08:17 PM
Mike Brinker
SouthEast Michigan
Joined May 2008
555 Posts
Build Index

As the build moves forward, this index will be updated with shortcut links for those who don't want to dig and just want the highlights.....
Mike

* Making a Hot-Wire Power Unit
* Drawings & Plans
* Fuselage Templates
* Rough Sanding of Fuselage
* Foam Wing Core
* Horizontal Stab Part 1
* Vertical Stab
* Wing Spar Locking System
* Engine Nacelles
* Landing Gear
Last edited by tr6world; May 11, 2012 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Updating Build Index
Old Oct 19, 2010, 06:46 AM
Slidell, LA
Joined Oct 2008
171 Posts
Thanks

Thank you for taking the time and effort to post this!

Daniel
swordds is offline Find More Posts by swordds
Old Oct 19, 2010, 06:50 AM
dusty bible = dirty life
Oklahoma City OK USA Where fakts still exist even if they are ignored
Joined Aug 2000
2,777 Posts
Your building a little one, I changed the oil on a big one yesterday. Sadly the left engine is making metal, a teardown and repair is in order.
Majortomski is offline Find More Posts by Majortomski
Old Oct 19, 2010, 09:25 AM
Mike Brinker
SouthEast Michigan
Joined May 2008
555 Posts
Thanks Daniel & Majortomski!

It will be a learning experience for me. There are several "new" features that I will be doing for this build. Retracts (eventually) and flaps..... as well as it being a twin engine. (more details on this later)

Majortomski, stick around, I may need your expert DC-3 advice. Actually, would you mind taking a few pictures for me? I would like to see the following if possible:
1. underside of plane where the wing and fuselage join.
2. underside of plane where the flaps are
3. underside of plane where the tail wheel is located.

The pictures don't have to be real close-up. I have been looking at a lot of pics online and seeing some of these at different angles would be awesome...... If possible, leave them "full size" when you upload so when we click the image will be a higher resolution for clarity..... Is that OK?
If you are not able to shoot the pics I completely understand..... I know it is a lot to ask. You didn't expect me to pass up that opportunity with a guy who works on a 3 did you?

Thanks for your posts..... Progress will be slow BUT consistent. My goal is to maiden this spring.

Stand by......

Mike
Old Oct 19, 2010, 11:46 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,079 Posts
This is a fascinating old bird. Building it light enough for scale-like flight is a real challenge. I always get carried away adding scale detail and beefing up things.
Cheap advice: Choose motors and packs, etc that are adequate with some margin , but not overly heavy, and provide for moving battery packs around for cg adjustments and using different pack sizes as needed. Consider using Chrome Monokote covering dulled with a green Scotchbrite pad for a lightweight aluminum looking skin.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Oct 19, 2010, 04:09 PM
Mike Brinker
SouthEast Michigan
Joined May 2008
555 Posts
Quote:
Cheap advice: Choose motors and packs, etc that are adequate with some margin , but not overly heavy, and provide for moving battery packs around for cg adjustments and using different pack sizes as needed. Consider using Chrome Monokote covering dulled with a green Scotchbrite pad for a lightweight aluminum looking skin.
Thanks for the comments E-Challenged. Wing loading will set the tone for flight performance and bring me to my target weight to strive for. I am not real good with math so I asked Mark Rittinger to help me crunch some numbers. Based on my drawings, I have a total of 5.2 sq Ft. of wing area. I would be very happy with 18 oz wing loading for this bird. With the airfoil I plan to use, the shape of the plane, prop/motor combo and overall weight she should fly very scale like if I can keep her weight below 6 lbs. That is my goal.

I have not decided what version of this plane I will make. Most of them were aluminum with some trim color. The C-47 (which I have not ruled out yet) would be painted OD green or camo if I go that route. I think I am leaning towards a DC-3 version of an older airline....... BUT who knows.... time will tell.

Mike
Old Oct 19, 2010, 05:31 PM
dusty bible = dirty life
Joined Aug 2000
2,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr6world View Post
Thanks Daniel & Majortomski!

It will be a learning experience for me. There are several "new" features that I will be doing for this build. Retracts (eventually) and flaps..... as well as it being a twin engine. (more details on this later)

Majortomski, stick around, I may need your expert DC-3 advice. Actually, would you mind taking a few pictures for me? I would like to see the following if possible:
1. underside of plane where the wing and fuselage join.
2. underside of plane where the flaps are
3. underside of plane where the tail wheel is located.

The pictures don't have to be real close-up. I have been looking at a lot of pics online and seeing some of these at different angles would be awesome...... If possible, leave them "full size" when you upload so when we click the image will be a higher resolution for clarity..... Is that OK?
If you are not able to shoot the pics I completely understand..... I know it is a lot to ask. You didn't expect me to pass up that opportunity with a guy who works on a 3 did you?

Thanks for your posts..... Progress will be slow BUT consistent. My goal is to maiden this spring.

Stand by......

Mike
I'll be happy to
Old Oct 19, 2010, 07:10 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
9,026 Posts
Don't lose THAT contact Mike!
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Oct 19, 2010, 08:10 PM
Mike Brinker
SouthEast Michigan
Joined May 2008
555 Posts
yea Mark, it doesn't get much better than that. Maybe Majortomski can maiden the DC-3 for me too........

Thanks Majortomski for your willingness and quick response. You can post them here on this thread whenever you want. Curious, what DC-3's are you working on?
Old Oct 19, 2010, 10:08 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
United States, KY, Sturgis
Joined Jul 2007
2,528 Posts
Hi, MIke. I'm looking forward to watching you build the DC-3. Best wishes.

Tony
tpfing is online now Find More Posts by tpfing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: North Las Vegas 1971
Old Oct 20, 2010, 01:50 PM
dusty bible = dirty life
Joined Aug 2000
2,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr6world View Post
yea Mark, it doesn't get much better than that. Maybe Majortomski can maiden the DC-3 for me too........

Thanks Majortomski for your willingness and quick response. You can post them here on this thread whenever you want. Curious, what DC-3's are you working on?
I'm the Maintenance coordinator on the FAA's last DC-3 N34. The only airplane on the national Registry of historic places

See the video on this thread

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=49

my bit comes about 3:30 into it
Old Oct 20, 2010, 03:42 PM
Mike Brinker
SouthEast Michigan
Joined May 2008
555 Posts
What a wonderful plane Tom. I am sure you love your job too..... So, how do I get a job flying around in that DC-3
If you ever get over near DTW (Detroit Metro) or Yankee Air Force (Willow Run), let me know. I would love to meet you and see the plane.

Just so others reading this thread won't have to jump around, Tom is refering to this video:

The Last Time DC-3-- Friday 23 July (6 min 35 sec)

Thanks for the video & tour of the FAA's DC-3. I like the colors.....

I noticed that the front underside of the plane was ruffled, almost as if it was indented. I have see this on some other DC-3's but not all.... what am I seeing?

Mike
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:46 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,141 Posts
Nice video. What was interesting to me was watching the two C-47s landing, especially the second one. Expand the video to full screen and watch the rudders of the landing aircraft. A lot of rudder work there to keep the planes headed straight down the runway.

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Oct 21, 2010, 01:01 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
United States, KY, Sturgis
Joined Jul 2007
2,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnagel View Post
Nice video. What was interesting to me was watching the two C-47s landing, especially the second one. Expand the video to full screen and watch the rudders of the landing aircraft. A lot of rudder work there to keep the planes headed straight down the runway.

Larry
Looks like both planes were fighting a pretty good crosswind from the pilots right (screen left). You could see the right wing on both planes lift slightly just after touchdown. And I've read that the C-47/DC-3 required good attention to the rudder on landing anyway.

Tony
tpfing is online now Find More Posts by tpfing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: North Las Vegas 1971