HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2010, 01:09 AM
The new guy
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Jan 2010
162 Posts
Discussion
Flaperons on a CG cub?

I am looking to find a way to decrease my airspeed on landings. I have a clipped wing CG anniversary cub and it just floats forever on landing even at idle. The ailerons are almost the entire length of the wing which makes for some fun flying but I was wondering if it would be worth it to mix them with the flaps to create flaperons and if it would have any adverse effects (such as tip stalls). Id really rather not tear open the wing and install seperate flaps. If it really comes to that I might just build another wing in the full wing version and put flaps in.

Any other ideas on how to decrease landing speed? I know people have mentioned "spoilers" but I have no idea what they are or how to build/program them. Thanks.

-Rourke
buechelr is offline Find More Posts by buechelr
Last edited by buechelr; Oct 18, 2010 at 07:39 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2010, 10:26 AM
USA, MN, Burnsville
Joined May 2009
184 Posts
Spoilers are programmable on my JR transmitters in the flaperon menu I have used them on my twist which has the same floating issue on landing. Assuming you have two aileron servos and a computer radio they are just a setting in the flaperon setup.

George
GeorgeToon is offline Find More Posts by GeorgeToon
Old Oct 18, 2010, 10:44 AM
Garry
Tumble weed country Eastern Washington
Joined Aug 2004
530 Posts
spoilers are the opposite of flaps,they go up instead of down, in your case they would be spoilerons. What they do is basicly kill the lift from your wing. You could try about a 1/4" up for starters. Use them when floating some where about 2 feet off your run way to kill the lift. If you do this, take your plane up high and slow it down and get the feel of how they will affect your plane. That 1/4" is just a starting point you may need a little more or a little less. Good luck.
crash-rc is offline Find More Posts by crash-rc
Old Oct 19, 2010, 05:51 PM
Haenertsburg, South Africa
Joined Nov 2008
45 Posts
Hi Buechelr
I have used flaperons on a full span CG anniversary cub with no hassles. I used about 15 degrees flap, with no tip stall problems. I have a video of a flight if you would like to see it in action. Found the plywood fuselage very heavy though and gave it away eventually.

All the best
PantherEngines is offline Find More Posts by PantherEngines
Old Oct 19, 2010, 08:20 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
How does the aileron angled up compare to an actual spoiler on the top of the wing as in a sailplane. Spoilers on a sailplane where a "fence" (length dependent on spane) rises up spanwise an inch or so and "kills' lift without a gain in airspeed allowing loss of altitude at an approx 45 degree angle with the fuselage remaining parallel to the ground. What effect does the angled up aileron have on a power plane?
Mike
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Oct 19, 2010, 10:03 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,055 Posts
I use spoilerons on both my sport jet (necessity) and my trainer (for fun). They do not drop like true spoilers make a full house glider drop but for the jet they allow me to get the nose high attitude necessary to slow it down for landing. The trainer still floats no matter what I do
1320fastback is online now Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Oct 20, 2010, 12:47 AM
The new guy
Joined Jan 2010
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherEngines View Post
Hi Buechelr
I have used flaperons on a full span CG anniversary cub with no hassles. I used about 15 degrees flap, with no tip stall problems. I have a video of a flight if you would like to see it in action. Found the plywood fuselage very heavy though and gave it away eventually.

All the best
I would love to see a video, post away!

So to clarify: Spoilerons kill lift in the wing which allows me to pitch the nose up a little higher and get a mild "high alpha" type angle on the plane to decrease landing speed? What would all of you recommend for the CG cub, Flaperons or Spoilerons? Im just trying to get my cub to land in a shorter amount of time and kill its airspeed. At my field one end has a long approach but when the wind shifts to the opposite direction I have to come in pretty steep because of the tree line and its almost impossible to get it to land because it just keeps on floating by. Thanks for all the help.

-Rourke
Old Oct 20, 2010, 04:02 PM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,078 Posts
Flaps function to increase lift or maintain lift at lower airspeeds by increasing the curveature of the wing.....of course there is added drag.....spoilers act to decrease lift by spoilling the curveature of the wing...again there is added drag.....perhaps a bit of side slip...or speed brakes...or a shallower approach.....
Good Luck
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Oct 20, 2010, 07:59 PM
The new guy
Joined Jan 2010
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmech05 View Post
Flaps function to increase lift or maintain lift at lower airspeeds by increasing the curveature of the wing.....of course there is added drag.....spoilers act to decrease lift by spoilling the curveature of the wing...again there is added drag.....perhaps a bit of side slip...or speed brakes...or a shallower approach.....
Good Luck
See that is my issue. From the east end of the runway there is a line of trees about 30 - 40 yards out. Plus I cant go to the south of the runway because that is butted up against an active airport. Our runway is an old abandoned runway on the top corner of the airport just outside the fence and is essentially in a corner. One end is very easy to land on and has a long approach, however the east end is nothing but obstacles. Its easy to land little foam planes or hook the corner hard and slip in but for the bigger cub it is a bit harder. Not impossible but irritating and stressful. Cant take a longer or shallower approach because of the tall tree line. Basically you have to make a steep turn into the runway to get on approach fast enough but with how much lift the cub has it just keeps floating along to the very end.

Beside all that.. in anyone's opinion, spoilerons or flaperons for decreasing airspeed? Right now Im leaning toward flaperons just wondering if there is a maneuver I dont know about that could utilize spoilerons to kill airspeed.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 10:47 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,055 Posts
Sounds like what you need is a drag chute or wheel brakes.

I would experiment with spoilerons, anything you can do to get the plane on the ground quicker so you can use the runway to help slow down.

Flaperons are going to extend the glide but if you could use them to make the approach from the good side then they would work.
1320fastback is online now Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Oct 21, 2010, 11:05 AM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,078 Posts
Flaps are used to increase lift or maintain lift at lower airspeeds.....added drag slows you down...but you have increased the lift....that could increase the float....
Speed brakes maybe better or a side slip once you get over the trees.....
spoilers will decrease the lift and would take care of your float problems...be careful that you don't spoil the lift to a stall
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05