Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 17, 2010, 08:05 PM
Joined May 2007
258 Posts
Discussion
is rustler xl-5 a good option as first rc car ?

hello guys, just wanted to know if the rustler xl-5 is a good option to buy , been looking around and have seen some other options like the circuit from HH but the looks of it are not good : P and beside that its all plastic chasis, another good option have read about is the duratrax evader ext and the new ext2 , the ext2 has metal parts and links and seems a good option but have read someone said its shock absorbers are not very good : ( and that it will involve beside that in other frequent cost of repairs even though it has a 1 year parts warranty on important parts as the shocks , but have looking at the rustler and its nice looking and seems better at running from the videos on YT so would like your advice : should i buy the rustler xl-5 or the duratrax ext2 , that has this options ( metal-capped shocks, precision metal idler gear, and metal front linkages ), would really appreciate your advise as this will be my first rc car and want to make the best investment in $ , the rustler seems better than the xl-5 but is more pricey : ( , and if the xl-5 is the best option could it be reinforced to make it stronger as the vxl in the long run ?? well will be waiting your coments and advices : )
computerpc is offline Find More Posts by computerpc
Last edited by computerpc; Oct 17, 2010 at 09:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2010, 09:43 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2009
256 Posts
i have a rustler xl5 as my first car. i like it, although i kinda wish i had got the bandit just because its cooler looking. it has a very wide selection of upgrade parts that are easy to find. i wouldnt upgrade to vxl, ive heard things about it like that its not compleatly water proof, and that the lvc is to low, and its also to expencive. i plan to upgrade mine to a castle sidewinder.
rcdude123 is offline Find More Posts by rcdude123
Old Oct 17, 2010, 10:07 PM
Joined May 2007
258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdude123 View Post
i have a rustler xl5 as my first car. i like it, although i kinda wish i had got the bandit just because its cooler looking. it has a very wide selection of upgrade parts that are easy to find. i wouldnt upgrade to vxl, ive heard things about it like that its not compleatly water proof, and that the lvc is to low, and its also to expencive. i plan to upgrade mine to a castle sidewinder.

when you say it has a a very wide selections of upgrade and easy to find do you refer to the bandit or the rustler and just saw the bandit looks cool yes but the front shocks are exposed so maybe that epxoses it to damage to them if in a jump they are hit by something but well and your xl5 are you still using it? has it give you any problems ?
Last edited by computerpc; Oct 17, 2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 12:14 AM
Joined Dec 2009
256 Posts
the bandit and the rustler use almost all the same parts except for a few suspension parts and the wheels. both have many parts that are carried at almost all hobby shops.
i don't see how you could crash into something with your shock, although you can break it by crashing the wheel into something (i have done this many times), but that would happen with the rustler to.
as for the motor, i have burned out a few motors, i don't remember how, except one of them i Had the pinion gear rubbing on the motor. once i burned the connectors up because i had the wrong kind of motor on there once and it made everything over heat. i think the esc is a good brushed esc, mine is not waterproof because i have an older version and they didn't make them waterproof back then, but I'm sure that the waterproof one will have no problem with puddles like mine does.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 09:50 AM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,240 Posts
If you want a more rugged truck go for a Stampede.
Parts are readily available. It's a fairly tough truck.
Jim
Stamp is offline Find More Posts by Stamp
Old Oct 18, 2010, 07:38 PM
Joined May 2007
258 Posts
well the stampade looks a bit more type of a monster truck and the rustler has more sleek look , have any of you guys know how much can the rustler be used before making any upgrades ? im not planing to run it in pudles or sand just in concrete , on asphalt roads , maybe in my 300 mt track at a nearby stadium and maybe some dirt or grass in between , with that in fact should i change the stock tires and if so how much time would the stock ones last ???? and if changing them what are the aprox cost of the tires and are there any ALL TERRAIN type tires that would be recomended ?
Old Oct 18, 2010, 09:19 PM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,240 Posts
If you want asphalt the Rustler will wear the rear tires out within a few runs. You will need new tires very soon.

Stampede tires will last a long time...at least 2 seasons of running.....in my experiance.
They last and offer decent traction.

I had a VXL Stampede. My son had a Rustler XL-5. His tires wore out very fast.
I am speaking from first hand experience.

Also, the Rustler is more prone to breakage. The Stampede is tougher all around. It sits higher and the tires absorb a lot of impact. True, the Rustler handles better, but the Stampede is more fun to drive.

Just my opinion here.
Have fun no matter what you decide.

Jim
Old Oct 18, 2010, 11:07 PM
Joined May 2007
258 Posts
can rustler use stampades tires ?????
Old Oct 18, 2010, 11:22 PM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,240 Posts
Yes but you'd have to regear the truck.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 11:51 PM
Joined Dec 2009
256 Posts
just get road tires for the rustler http://www.rcplanet.com/Traxxas_Anac...p/tra3776a.htm thats what i have
Old Oct 19, 2010, 06:19 AM
Joined May 2007
258 Posts
is the included charger good for charging the batteries ? if so how much time does it take to charge the batteries or should i buy another charger and if so how much would a good and economic one cost and how much time could it take to charge the batteries with it ?
Old Oct 19, 2010, 04:15 PM
Joined Dec 2009
256 Posts
the charger should work fine for any 6-8 cell nimh battery. you dont need to spend any more money on a charger until you decide to go lipo, in which case this http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html is what i recomend for a good economicle charger. it charges everything you need, it just dosnt charge at as many amps as you might want it to.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 06:14 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,370 Posts
The Rustler is a great truck. I have 2 Nitro and one electric Parts are cheap and upgrades are everywhere. A few weak points with the truck.

1.The motor can't be rebuilt.
2.The 27 MHz radio can be prone to interference
3.Steering is a little sloppy.
4.The wall charger will take all day to charge a pack

These are my biggest issues but all are over come simply and pretty cheap.

You can get a good Epic stock motor or 19 turn cheap these day's
The stock radio is better then nothing for $100.00 you can get a 2.4 GHz radio less for an F.M radio.

The steering can be tightened up with a set of bearings for under $20.00
Good peak chargers are pretty reasonable if you invest in a good one that charges lipo's (almost all do now) you are set for a while.

The bandit and Stampede are all based on the same platform and all have many interchangeable parts.
Some do things a little better then others but I like the Rustler best it fits my style. All 3 are very strong designs and are a breeze to work on.

The other nice thing Traxxas has a Power Up program you can trade in all of your old radio and speed controller plus some money fora brushless speed controller and a 2.4 GHz radio http://www.traxxas.com/v2/powerup/

You will also want to invest in some good battery packs The Nicads will work to get you started but the lipo will give you a major boost. The nice thing is you can upgrade over time you don't need all of this stuff right away. Out of the box stock will work good for you.
mredzadventure is offline Find More Posts by mredzadventure
Old Oct 19, 2010, 06:50 PM
Joined May 2007
258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdude123 View Post
the charger should work fine for any 6-8 cell nimh battery. you dont need to spend any more money on a charger until you decide to go lipo, in which case this http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html is what i recomend for a good economicle charger. it charges everything you need, it just dosnt charge at as many amps as you might want it to.
ok , someone told me the stock charger takes around 6 to 7 hrs to charge is that true and that it would last only around 10 to 15 min of running time ( with the included 3000mah 8.4v Battery is that true cause waiting to around so much time to only run it for 15 min max is not good looking , could you clarify this issue please
Old Oct 19, 2010, 06:59 PM
Joined May 2007
258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mredzadventure View Post
The Rustler is a great truck. I have 2 Nitro and one electric Parts are cheap and upgrades are everywhere. A few weak points with the truck.

1.The motor can't be rebuilt.
2.The 27 MHz radio can be prone to interference
3.Steering is a little sloppy.
4.The wall charger will take all day to charge a pack

These are my biggest issues but all are over come simply and pretty cheap.

You can get a good Epic stock motor or 19 turn cheap these day's
The stock radio is better then nothing for $100.00 you can get a 2.4 GHz radio less for an F.M radio.

The steering can be tightened up with a set of bearings for under $20.00
Good peak chargers are pretty reasonable if you invest in a good one that charges lipo's (almost all do now) you are set for a while.

The bandit and Stampede are all based on the same platform and all have many interchangeable parts.
Some do things a little better then others but I like the Rustler best it fits my style. All 3 are very strong designs and are a breeze to work on.

The other nice thing Traxxas has a Power Up program you can trade in all of your old radio and speed controller plus some money fora brushless speed controller and a 2.4 GHz radio http://www.traxxas.com/v2/powerup/

You will also want to invest in some good battery packs The Nicads will work to get you started but the lipo will give you a major boost. The nice thing is you can upgrade over time you don't need all of this stuff right away. Out of the box stock will work good for you.

good data thanks , by the way does that mean i can later on get a 2.4 ghz radio and use it with the stock reciever or must i also buy another receiver to accept the new 2.4 ghz radio , also how much is the range with the stock radio and how much would it be with the 2.4 ghz ( is the diference only in terms of range or best conection of the radio with the car , and as to changing the motor in the future if needed and the changing of the bearings as u say for better steering can it be done easily or is it complicated just wondering