HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2003, 10:24 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,111 Posts
Combat "Secret Weapon"

OK, finally got the secret weapon finished. This is what I plan on doing some serious spankin at the combat contest on July 20th.
Drum roll please. .................................................. .............................

It's a bird...... It's a plane...... ok, yea its a plane. To be precise it's a Curtis XP-55 Ascender (vulgarity edited by moderator).

The wing is a LEG stingwing to which I attached an Ascender fuse. The canard is non-functional. Dunno what it weighs but I am guessing around 38 ounces which gives me quite a light wing loading for a warbird (12-13 oz/sqft).

TFLG
TFLG is online now Find More Posts by TFLG
Last edited by Mark Wood; Jul 10, 2003 at 07:52 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2003, 10:32 PM
Free as a bird now.
United States, FL, Punta Gorda
Joined May 2002
6,572 Posts
Very seriously cool!

Someday I'll succeed in getting my finish looking as good as one of yours. (I hope.)

That looks really great. It should really turn some heads at the comabt meet. I hope it flys as good as it looks.

The canard may be non-functional in terms of having no moving surfaces, but I wonder what affect it might have on the flying characteristics of the airplane. I imagine it might change the stall and stall recovery vs the same wing without a canard.

Will you test fly it before the contest?
Brian Courtice is online now Find More Posts by Brian Courtice
Old Jul 09, 2003, 10:51 PM
Lower??
Tucson, AZ and Abroad...
Joined Jun 2003
184 Posts
Ok, That's Friggen Bad (vulgarity edited by moderator)!! I'm just curious, what do you guys use for those panel lines? Is it marker? You've got to let us know how that flys.

-Matt
Krashmaster81 is offline Find More Posts by Krashmaster81
Last edited by Mark Wood; Jul 10, 2003 at 07:53 AM.
Old Jul 09, 2003, 11:33 PM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,684 Posts
Can't beat 'em, join 'em, eh Brian? -- What hope is there when even crack pilots are assimilated?
What you have here is a cheap whore with excellent padding and make-up. Just wait and see what she looks like "the morning after..."

Dieter Mahlein, President
National Organisation Endorsing Performance Planes
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
Last edited by ShredAir; Jul 09, 2003 at 11:37 PM.
Old Jul 09, 2003, 11:33 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,086 Posts
TFLG uses a very high tech instrument for his panel lining. I believe it's called a Sharpie Ultra Fine Point

As I understand it, he uses one of those green plastic templates (like from a stationary store or whatever) with the various ovals and other shapes to do the little inspection hatches and whatnot. He's obviously very good at it--as he should be, he build so many darn planes he can probably do it in his sleep by now!

Check out his thread from a little while back entitled "P-51 Mustang" for more details on the panel lining.

As for the plane: TFLG, that is SOO COOL!! I'm really glad that it looks like there are going to be some interesting scale subjects for this combat event. I'm really getting pumped up!
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2003, 11:38 PM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ShredAir
Just wait and see what she looks like "the morning after..."
If my Lippisch P.11 has its way with her, she's gonna look WORKED!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2003, 11:54 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,111 Posts
I fly in ONE combat contest in like 10 years and my buddy Dieter is givin me hard time about it. If that dead-beat Cavazos would ever get off his duff and finish my Wingeron design I'de have a glass post or two. He's had the plug for like a year now.

Morning after..... Right now she's the BABE you took home from the bar. In the morning I expect she'll be coyote ugly. But that's alright I should have a hoot bashing the daylights out of it.

TFLG

Quote:
Originally posted by ShredAir
Can't beat 'em, join 'em, eh Brian? -- What hope is there when even crack pilots are assimilated?
What you have here is a cheap whore with excellent padding and make-up. Just wait and see what she looks like "the morning after..."

Dieter Mahlein, President
National Organisation Endorsing Performance Planes
TFLG is online now Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Jul 10, 2003, 12:40 AM
PiLoTuS pArKfLyIcOuS
Dub Cee, California
Joined Aug 2002
928 Posts
OMG!

that thing looks hot! hey tflg... dont forget to post pics of the "battle scars"!
torcgolf is offline Find More Posts by torcgolf
Old Jul 10, 2003, 12:55 AM
Insert custom witicism
San Diego
Joined Jun 2001
3,526 Posts
That is just too cool. Never seen an Ascender modeled for the slope before.

Jeff
Jeff Charlot is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Charlot
Old Jul 10, 2003, 01:27 AM
Free as a bird now.
Joined May 2002
6,572 Posts
Guys:

I posted a humorous little story about a plane kinda like Brian's over on the ISR message board. I'd post the story here, but I'd surely end up with another little "ahem" note from Mark Wood. I'm trying to stay on his good side.

Old Jul 10, 2003, 01:40 AM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,086 Posts
Here's a preliminary picture of my secret weapon. Won't ever look as nice as the Ascender but hey, whaddya want from me? I ain't no TFLG!

For the record, it's going to be a Lippisch P.11. I'm basing it off of a Weasel's wings, but am building a new center section from scratch. Got the cockpit part done!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2003, 01:46 AM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,086 Posts
One more photo and then I'll stop trying to hijack TFLG's thread. It's sort of ontopic though, I guess...he did give me the idea to build this particular plane, after all!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2003, 01:48 AM
Free as a bird now.
Joined May 2002
6,572 Posts
Looking good Steve. You have a natural talent for shaping foam. You might just give TFLG a run for his money in the building talent race some day...

Keep up the good work.
Old Jul 10, 2003, 02:01 AM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Courtice
Looking good Steve. You have a natural talent for shaping foam. You might just give TFLG a run for his money in the building talent race some day...
Ha. I can just about see TFLG falling out of his chair laughing now.

I guess I should make a "Got Sandpaper?" sticker?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2003, 02:52 AM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,072 Posts
Quote:
The canard is non-functional
Oh, so you haven't done it properly

Seriously, once again you blow me away with your planes.

Cheers
Paul
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch