HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2010, 07:27 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvincent View Post
Yeah but as is it will be over 8000 watts in the Dynamax and it won't level off and settle, it will slowly increase in amps and watts until it smokes. Just not enough meat there to dissapate the exccess heat. It will even struggle on 10S

Yeah I figured 10s would probably be the max for an 880kv, and that would only be for short bursts.

The motor does seem to handle about 4.5kw ok though and the Dynamax at 4.5kw puts out good power. Tam has a video of the Dynamax rotor in his shroud at 4.6kw in an Electra and it looks great.

I`m just thinking that this should be a good "kit" motor to be able to dial in the KV for a Dynamax. Of course Scorpion will sell you a kit for the 4035, but it costs almost the same as a motor.
Knife Liddle is offline Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2010, 07:29 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,651 Posts
True, but remember that rotor of Tams is 120mm not 127! Thats a HUGE difference in load That makes it simular to a Turbax in load
rvincent is offline Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Nov 02, 2010, 07:32 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,492 Posts
Quote:
True, but remember that rotor of Tams is 120mm not 127! Thats a HUGE difference in load That makes it simular to a Turbax in load

Oh, good point. I was thinking his fan was the stock dia. Well, for $35, I`ll see what one will do in the Dyanmax anyway, just for kicks.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 02, 2010, 07:33 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,651 Posts
I think that it would be wise to offer an affordable motor as a kit for those that like to tinker And offer that same motor in 2 Kv ranges. One for light weight 10s use and one for 12S+ use Also offer a motor in 2 sizes. A Monster un-kill-able motor like the Big Screamer, and a light weight version that we were working on too. Offer them in 2 kv's and as a kit. Would that interest some? hint-hint
Old Nov 02, 2010, 07:35 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post
Oh, good point. I was thinking his fan was the stock dia. Well, for $35, I`ll see what one will do in the Dyanmax anyway, just for kicks.

!!!!!?? $35 for a cut down dynamax rotor?? Where??! I WANT/NEED several
Old Nov 02, 2010, 07:45 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2015 , May 28-31
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post
4mm. I got mine at Home Depot
Thanks Lee,

I have the motor mounted, for alignment purposes, and the Hysol epoxy is on it so I am waiting for it to dry. I drilled a hole off...so I will correct that tomorrow. I am thinking of turning down the 4.5 Hayoe rotor to 4"....when I figure out a good reason to.
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Nov 02, 2010, 07:51 PM
Joined Feb 2004
227 Posts
Now I'm starting to worry,
using the figures already obtained and the calculator here;

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1332150

I get an efflux velocity of approx 78.3m/s or 170mph and thats with the thrust tube still at 100mm.
The bobcat 50 will be getting very small very quickly if anywhere over 150mph is acheived!
Eddie-extra is offline Find More Posts by Eddie-extra
Old Nov 02, 2010, 07:53 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,651 Posts
Kevin what did you use for your center section?
Old Nov 02, 2010, 07:56 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie-extra View Post
Now I'm starting to worry,
using the figures already obtained and the calculator here;

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1332150

I get an efflux velocity of approx 78.3m/s or 170mph and thats with the thrust tube still at 100mm.
The bobcat 50 will be getting very small very quickly if anywhere over 150mph is acheived!
Don't worry Eddy, I doubt it will be any where near 135 Not dissing your plane or the set up, just been there done that. This is one VERY draggy machine Lee cleaned his up by getting rid of the booms and elevator Plus this wing is fat as hell with a not so slippery airfoil. Its meant to be a good flyer not a hot rod
Old Nov 02, 2010, 07:59 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Oct 2000
2,049 Posts
Lee,

I'm looking at doing the same system as yours. I'm new to fans. Question, do you need an adapter to fit the turbax fan to the Turnigy shaft? I have a turbax rotor ordered. Your post stated that you had one on the way from EJF. Just trying to get the right pieces together.

Ric
RicVaughn is offline Find More Posts by RicVaughn
Old Nov 02, 2010, 08:10 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2015 , May 28-31
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,899 Posts
Quote:
Kevin what did you use for your center section?
I used a cardboard mailing tube with a wrap of glass cloth on the outside. The center (plate) is 1/4" ply. I had this fan unit a while ago and figured I'd experiment with this one before cutting into the new one. After soaking up the thin CA it is very stiff!
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Last edited by Kevin Cox; Nov 02, 2010 at 08:29 PM.
Old Nov 02, 2010, 08:12 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,651 Posts
Thats kinda what I thought
Old Nov 02, 2010, 08:20 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicVaughn View Post
Lee,

I'm looking at doing the same system as yours. I'm new to fans. Question, do you need an adapter to fit the turbax fan to the Turnigy shaft? I have a turbax rotor ordered. Your post stated that you had one on the way from EJF. Just trying to get the right pieces together.

Ric
I don't think the stock Haeyo 6mm adapter will work with the Turbax rotor because the base that the rotor will sit on is too small in dia to give the rotor the support that it needs.

The 6mm adapter that EJF sells will work for sure.

So you need the Haeyo 4.5" fan shroud, the Turbax rotor and the 6mm collet adapter. I recomend the Turnigy 120a HV esc to spin it with. They are great and less expensive than any other that I've found and very dependable.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 02, 2010, 11:12 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Oct 2000
2,049 Posts
Thanks Lee,

Just looked at the EJF page and the 6mm adapter you need is the one that they sell for the Scorpion motor, $9.99, yes?? Sorry for the basic questions on the parts, but I'm in uncharted land for me now.

Ric
RicVaughn is offline Find More Posts by RicVaughn
Last edited by RicVaughn; Nov 02, 2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old Nov 03, 2010, 03:51 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicVaughn View Post
Thanks Lee,

Just looked at the EJF page and the 6mm adapter you need is the one that they sell for the Scorpion motor, $9.99, yes?? Sorry for the basic questions on the parts, but I'm in uncharted land for me now.

Ric
yes. That's the adapter that you need. No problem. I'm glad to help.
RCG Plus Member