SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 01, 2010, 10:03 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,215 Posts
Inside the Turnigy 4030-880

Here is what it looks like inside.

The windings appear to be done with 14 strands of #24 wire. They are pretty tight and the motor is full. To do more turns a strand or two will have to be dropped. You can see a string wound around the outside of the stator teeth. This is to contain the windings. This is a nice touch IMO, instead of loading the copper up with glue. It will also make the motor easier to clean up for a rewind.

On the construction of the stator to the bearing tube. The stator is retained with a roll pin to keep it from spinning and a large "C" clip to keep it from slipping up/off of the bearing tube. Again, this indicates to me that they are relying more on a mechanical control device rather than a bunch of glue to retain the stator. Good for turning the motor back into a kit. You can see these in the picture.

Pic #2 I showed a pic of the inside of the bell. The magnets are mechanically contained at the top and the bottom by retainers.
The end cap of the bell is a nice piece. It has vanes in it which I`m sure help to draw air through the motor. The two grub screws that help fix the end cap to the shaft are at 90 degrees to each other. Much better than two set at 180 degrees.
Finally, look at the blue epoxy scattered around between the magnets. There are 6 different blobs of epoxy which indicates to me that a fair amount of care was taken to balance the bell. My first motor runs extremely smooth. I hope they continue to keep up this quality
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2010, 10:09 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,444 Posts
man, looks like a freakin sweet motor. cant wait to see it!
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Nov 01, 2010, 11:24 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,493 Posts
Lee, I would do 15 strands of 25g you will gain the added turns without loosing much diameter. I think 1 added turn will do it remember its more than 6 magnets so turn count is less critical. You want to keep the Io as low as you can to maintain the best efficiency yet still have enough turns to drop the Kv where you need it.
rvincent is online now Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Nov 02, 2010, 08:43 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvincent View Post
Lee, I would do 15 strands of 25g you will gain the added turns without loosing much diameter. I think 1 added turn will do it remember its more than 6 magnets so turn count is less critical. You want to keep the Io as low as you can to maintain the best efficiency yet still have enough turns to drop the Kv where you need it.
Thanks for the suggestion Bob. When I get one ready to wind I'll pick your brain some more.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 02, 2010, 04:03 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,399 Posts
really looking forward to trying this myself,gonna use my Nitroplanes Fly Cat 90 which has a 63" ws like the Falcon 120
MustangAce17 is online now Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Old Nov 02, 2010, 05:19 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,215 Posts
It will be a good power match for the Flycat.

Well I never could find my original Turbax rotor that I ran in this fan housing with a Neu 1951-1y. So I just ordered two new rotors from JHH, and a couple of 6mm collet adapters from EJF. I used a 5mm collet to mount the Turbax rotor on the Neu.

I should get the 4.5" Turbax tested on 12s this weekend.

I have what I need to test the 4" Haeyo with the stock rotor now. So I'll do that as soon as I get an intake ring mounted on it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 02, 2010, 05:23 PM
Joined Feb 2004
227 Posts
Hi knife,
The only problem I have had with a collet type fixing is the motor shaft has a ground flat which is quite big and a long way down the shaft, this meant some very carefull placement of the collet was necassary before tightening otherwise it pulled off centre quite easily. Would like to have a 8mm shaft option but for the cost I'm not realy complaining.
Eddie-extra is offline Find More Posts by Eddie-extra
Old Nov 02, 2010, 05:26 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,493 Posts
Eddie,
What motor shaft are you refering to?
Old Nov 02, 2010, 05:28 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,215 Posts
Also the 6mm adapters from EJF will allow me to try this motor in a Dynamax fan. It willprobably be limited to 10s or 11s with the 880kv, but the motor can handle 4.5kw on 10s so it may be usable in a Dynamax in stock form. A cooler wind will spin the Dyna for sure. Similar to the way the Scorpion 4035-630 does.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 02, 2010, 05:30 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvincent View Post
Eddie,
What motor shaft are you refering to?
Sounds like the Turnigy
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 02, 2010, 05:31 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,493 Posts
Yeah but as is it will be over 8000 watts in the Dynamax and it won't level off and settle, it will slowly increase in amps and watts until it smokes. Just not enough meat there to dissapate the exccess heat. It will even struggle on 10S
Old Nov 02, 2010, 05:33 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,493 Posts
A bunch less load with the Turbax compared to the Dynamax.
Old Nov 02, 2010, 05:33 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie-extra View Post
Hi knife,
The only problem I have had with a collet type fixing is the motor shaft has a ground flat which is quite big and a long way down the shaft, this meant some very carefull placement of the collet was necassary before tightening otherwise it pulled off centre quite easily. Would like to have a 8mm shaft option but for the cost I'm not realy complaining.
turning the shaft around would be an option Or even replacing the shaft with one that isn't notched
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 02, 2010, 05:54 PM
Joined Feb 2004
227 Posts
hi,
Yes the Turnigy motor mentioned, very happy with it apart from the flat on the shaft is a bit oversize.
I have this as pictured before in a 4 1/2" Haoye shroud and a turned down Turbax rotor, tried to find time to do some testing but the cells were down to 35% charge so no meaningful figures could be obtained apart from a nice sound and a 75A draw from 10 cells.
What was impressive was using the 50 bobcat as a radio controlled leaf blower in my garden, to test the stearing nose leg (honest), shifted all the leaves of the lawn very quickly indeed. This set up shifts a great ammount of air. Hopefully a better test later in the week and flight test on Saturday if the weather holds.
Eddie-extra is offline Find More Posts by Eddie-extra
Old Nov 02, 2010, 06:18 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie-extra View Post
hi,
Yes the Turnigy motor mentioned, very happy with it apart from the flat on the shaft is a bit oversize.
I have this as pictured before in a 4 1/2" Haoye shroud and a turned down Turbax rotor, tried to find time to do some testing but the cells were down to 35% charge so no meaningful figures could be obtained apart from a nice sound and a 75A draw from 10 cells.
What was impressive was using the 50 bobcat as a radio controlled leaf blower in my garden, to test the stearing nose leg (honest), shifted all the leaves of the lawn very quickly indeed. This set up shifts a great ammount of air. Hopefully a better test later in the week and flight test on Saturday if the weather holds.
Great! I hope you get good weather and have a good report. Should push the Bobcat 50 around with no problem.
RCG Plus Member