HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2011, 02:54 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jweber009 View Post
Finally I got the exhaust duct finished..... so I'll be assembling the Saves F-16 this weekend. Maybe it will be ready for it's maiden tomorrow.
Cool. Please post some pics or video of your maiden. That way others can see what this combo does in different airframes. Good luck.

I got my new fan/nacelle mounted up and ready to fly. I`m breaking in some new cells before I can go fly.
Knife Liddle is offline Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knife Liddle; Feb 26, 2011 at 03:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2011, 03:04 PM
Chandler, AZ
Joined Nov 2008
544 Posts
I'm going to try this fan in an Aggressor II that I bought new. I think it's been about 25 years that it's been in it's box Time to build it before it falls apart from age.
balistc1000 is offline Find More Posts by balistc1000
Old Feb 26, 2011, 03:07 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,360 Posts
Perfect. Should be a good match. Post pics of your build if you like.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2011, 04:03 PM
Joined Mar 2010
112 Posts
Cool nacelle Lee.

Where and how did you mount the esc? I would like to build something similar. How did you make the intake lip?

Sorry, a lot of questions but I am so excited to get started on my fan. I only need the shroud to begin.
Samjet is offline Find More Posts by Samjet
Old Feb 26, 2011, 04:49 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,360 Posts
The esc is mounted on the bottom of the fuselage. There is a square access hatch there. I cut a hole in the hatch so that the esc cooling fins are out in the airflow. It works well because it`s easy to get to to work on or if you need to pull the fan you can open the hatch and unplug it there.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2011, 06:45 AM
still trying to get it right
benelux
Joined Feb 2009
680 Posts
Hi Lee, can I take it that you fixed the ESC directly to the hatch,then cut a hole for the cooling fins to protrude? Are there any issues with battery installation/balance and cable length?, I will be using a mix of 10/11and 12 cells for testing purposes cheers
yakhakker is offline Find More Posts by yakhakker
Old Feb 27, 2011, 10:58 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakhakker View Post
Hi Lee, can I take it that you fixed the ESC directly to the hatch,then cut a hole for the cooling fins to protrude? Are there any issues with battery installation/balance and cable length?, I will be using a mix of 10/11and 12 cells for testing purposes cheers
Yes, the esc is attached directly to the hatch, then the hatch is screwed to the fuselage with small servo screws at the corners. I lengthen the motor leads so that they will reach the hatch + a little so that there is room to plug up the wires. Then the leads from the esc to the lipos are less than 12" so I haven`t added any caps to the esc, just running it stock with factory default settings.

One note on running 11s. The esc only "sees" even numbers in auto detect mode, and also can only be programed to even numbers. So if you use 11s, it will see it as 10s, which means that the LVC won`t kick in until 30v. So be very careful on 11s or 9s that you don`t drain the lipos too far and damage them."
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2011, 11:01 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samjet View Post
Cool nacelle Lee.

Where and how did you mount the esc? I would like to build something similar. How did you make the intake lip?

Sorry, a lot of questions but I am so excited to get started on my fan. I only need the shroud to begin.

Let me get you some pics on the intake ring. It`s done by hand but is pretty easy to do. I may make a mold of the intake ring when I get it completly finished.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2011, 11:11 AM
Joined Mar 2010
112 Posts
Thanks Lee

I have heard that it's bad to extend the cables between the esc and the motor, and that you should only extend the cables between the esc and the batteries. Could somebody clarify how it works? Also the thing about the extra capacitors?

It's fantastic with all you knowledgeable people out there
Samjet is offline Find More Posts by Samjet
Old Feb 27, 2011, 11:16 AM
still trying to get it right
benelux
Joined Feb 2009
680 Posts
once again thanks Lee.
yakhakker is offline Find More Posts by yakhakker
Old Feb 27, 2011, 11:25 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,360 Posts
I didn`t get to fly yesterday because I have some new cells and couldn`t get them cycled enough times for break-in. I did do a "hover test" on my 14.8lb Falcon with its new super slick fan pod. The big boy will support it`s own weight at full power.

I didn`t check the voltage (probably around 44v) but the amps settle in right at 130a with my new blue Turnigy 25c-35c cells. Roughly 5.7kw and say, 14.75lbs of thrust. On change is that I`ve reduced my exit dia to 3.75". My first fan with just the thrust tube tailpipe was at least 4" dia, maybe a little more.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2011, 11:34 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samjet View Post
Thanks Lee

I have heard that it's bad to extend the cables between the esc and the motor, and that you should only extend the cables between the esc and the batteries. Could somebody clarify how it works? Also the thing about the extra capacitors?

It's fantastic with all you knowledgeable people out there
No, you`ve got it backwards. You want to keep the cables between the esc and the lipos as short as you can. The esc to motor wires are ok to lengthen, you just want to make sure that they are all the same length.

Caps help to control the ripple current (fluctuations in voltage) that occur when pushing lipos so hard that you are getting voltage sag. The caps even out the voltage that the esc sees. The longer the leads the more sever the ripple current becomes. So, don`t push your lipos too hard, keep your leads short, and add extra caps when you think you might need them (ie, you are not following rules #1 and #2) "
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2011, 01:04 PM
United States, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined Jan 2005
2,274 Posts
Fan Rotor Trim

How much clearance do I want when I trim the rotor?
Air Head is online now Find More Posts by Air Head
Old Feb 27, 2011, 01:30 PM
Been there , Crashed that
Joined Mar 2010
104 Posts
lee, what is the diameter of the spinner on the 4.5" fan. thanks
ca_fingers is offline Find More Posts by ca_fingers
Old Feb 27, 2011, 03:40 PM
PH.D in Scratchbuilding
Denmark, Region Zealand, Holbaek
Joined Sep 2005
327 Posts
Got the fan up and running today.......

Just to sum up the setup
Hayoe 4.5'' with std. rotor, Scorpion 4035-560, Turnigy superbrain 100 amp, 12s 5000 25/50C Nanotech.

Static test mounted in Savex F-16 with custom made ducts, exhaut dia. 90mm:
Stabel performance af 30 sec.... efficiency ~92.3%
44.5 V
70.6 A
~3150 W
23000 rpm

Peak performance:
45,5 V
74,5 A
~3400 W
23300 rpm

Trust not tested yet......