SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 19, 2011, 10:53 AM
DELTAS RULE
corsair nut's Avatar
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,744 Posts
yes, he does sell just the turbax adapter for 6m shafts. fits like a dang glove

i know its more money, but it really makes this setup really fast and easy to assemble, but i think the big selling point is the fact that it keeps the motor super cool so if you plan to run 12s, it will live al long time.

also, this weekend hes finishing off the motor extension for the e turbax, so if you want to use the full turbax with this motor(or just about any other motor out there....you can. hes also going to be making a setup for direct hookup with a 19 series neu......

also, im hoping in a couple weeks he'll have the alum turbax spinners done...

also, you must remember this guy is making this stuff in his personal shop, by hand. its not cheap or easy to do. hes barely breaking even on these after you consider the hours it takes to make one.
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2011, 10:54 AM
Registered User
85367
Joined Dec 2005
293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samjet View Post
That sounds right. Both the fan and the esc are backordered at HK. But I found the hobbywing 120a esc at Hobby Hot and the fan at Low Price RC where they name the fan Astral 4.5". The also have the 120 a esc at Low Price RC but for 133$ istead of 120$ at hobby hot.

I can't find at suitable 6 mm collet for the motor and the turbax fan. Does anybody have a suggestion? Thanks

Samjet,

Is this the same ESC: http://www.hobbyhot.com/hobbywing-pl...er-pr-751.html


This one says it has a BEC on it as well, not that I want to use it. The HK one doesn't have a BEC on it, so is it really the same?
Par_18 is offline Find More Posts by Par_18
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2011, 10:57 AM
Senior Member
Arngeir Blakseth's Avatar
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
yes, he does sell just the turbax adapter for 6m shafts. fits like a dang glove

i know its more money, but it really makes this setup really fast and easy to assemble, but i think the big selling point is the fact that it keeps the motor super cool so if you plan to run 12s, it will live al long time.

also, this weekend hes finishing off the motor extension for the e turbax, so if you want to use the full turbax with this motor(or just about any other motor out there....you can. hes also going to be making a setup for direct hookup with a 19 series neu......

also, im hoping in a couple weeks he'll have the alum turbax spinners done...

also, you must remember this guy is making this stuff in his personal shop, by hand. its not cheap or easy to do. hes barely breaking even on these after you consider the hours it takes to make one.
Sweet, do you know if he's got the motor extension for the 4" shroud done?
Arngeir Blakseth is offline Find More Posts by Arngeir Blakseth
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2011, 11:00 AM
DELTAS RULE
corsair nut's Avatar
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,744 Posts
he may have it done this weekend....
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2011, 11:03 AM
Senior Member
Arngeir Blakseth's Avatar
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Par_18 View Post
Samjet,

Is this the same ESC: http://www.hobbyhot.com/hobbywing-pl...er-pr-751.html


This one says it has a BEC on it as well, not that I want to use it. The HK one doesn't have a BEC on it, so is it really the same?
It's a typo, the pic of the controller shows it clearly says Opto on the label so that's a mistake in the description. It also says no BEC in the specs further down.
Arngeir Blakseth is offline Find More Posts by Arngeir Blakseth
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2011, 11:38 AM
Registered User
85367
Joined Dec 2005
293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arngeir Blakseth View Post
It's a typo, the pic of the controller shows it clearly says Opto on the label so that's a mistake in the description. It also says no BEC in the specs further down.
You are absolutely right. I just ordered it and it was 10 bucks cheaper than HK.
Par_18 is offline Find More Posts by Par_18
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2011, 11:43 AM
Registered User
Samjet's Avatar
Joined Mar 2010
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Par_18 View Post
You are absolutely right. I just ordered it and it was 10 bucks cheaper than HK.
Yeah pretty cheap
Samjet is offline Find More Posts by Samjet
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2011, 07:12 PM
tag
Trevor
tag's Avatar
Canada, SK, Estevan
Joined Nov 2002
55 Posts
Hey buckaroo. It is, but then again it isn't a ziroli panther. I bought the ziroli plans and shrunk them 15%. I thought the smaller size would match my homebuilt turbine better. About 9 pounds of thrust max. It's just one of those projects that I never completed. The EDF setup will be much simpler than the kero burner.
The fuse is balsa stringers over the lite ply formers then sheeted with 1/8 x 3/4 balsa planking. The wings are traditional built up balsa and lite ply. Of course the ziroli canopy, tip tanks, inlet ducting, etc won't fit. Scrounge and scratch build I guess. It's probably been 3 or 4 years since I last worked on it.
Sorry guys, for going off topic a bit on your thread.
tag is offline Find More Posts by tag
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2011, 09:24 PM
Lee Liddle
Knife Liddle's Avatar
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,360 Posts
That`s some beautiful work. It`s rewarding to see old projects getting dusted off and comming back to life because of sharing some helpful info. We expect to see a maiden video when the time comes. Lee
Knife Liddle is offline Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:02 AM
DELTAS RULE
corsair nut's Avatar
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,744 Posts
gorgeous wood work!!!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:47 PM
Banzai Institute
buckaroo's Avatar
United States, NY, West Seneca
Joined Oct 2005
557 Posts
Sweet Tag. I like your style.
buckaroo is offline Find More Posts by buckaroo
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:24 PM
Registered User
85367
Joined Dec 2005
293 Posts
Just curious but what is that second smaller black wire on the Turnigy 120A ESC? I'm guessing its some kind of spark protection...right? Does it connect right up to the negative terminal like any lower rated ESC?
Par_18 is offline Find More Posts by Par_18
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2011, 03:39 PM
Registered User
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,773 Posts
Stupid question:

Can one of these (yellow Aircraft Mako F16) be pushed around by the KL Combo? (What I'm calling it Knifes fan find)

Seems simple seeing the AUW is 11-14pds but you never know...may not fit or something...maybe brakets for only stumaxes etc.

Never thought of flying one of these cause the power systems were out of my price range and even if I could afford 6 of the other fans the pds per amp seemed like battery busters. Now with the KL combo throwing out 15pds at 100amps on 12s I can use any of my batteries to push this jet around all day from my 2200s 30c (6x4s..2200\30c) to 5k 30cs if I wanted to.

Seems worth it to save up some cheddar or make room for it if this fan combo has enough push for that F16....

Thx for any input
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2011, 10:51 AM
Lee Liddle
Knife Liddle's Avatar
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Par_18 View Post
Just curious but what is that second smaller black wire on the Turnigy 120A ESC? I'm guessing its some kind of spark protection...right? Does it connect right up to the negative terminal like any lower rated ESC?
Yes it's for spark protection. When hooking up the lipos you connect the pos lead first then hook up the small black lead to the neg side and you'll hear the esc arm itself the hook up the main neg lead and you'll have no spark. Works great.
Knife Liddle is offline Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2011, 12:21 PM
Lee Liddle
Knife Liddle's Avatar
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,360 Posts
The combo should work well in the Yellow F-16. I'm sure it will fit. I think I've seen some flown with 120mm fans and on less power than what we are doing here I say go for it.
Knife Liddle is offline Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale ducted fan/motor combo bucsbw Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 1 Aug 06, 2011 01:09 PM
Discussion LX Fan/motor 6S, LX motor mini rotor jet-ster Foamy EDFs 6 May 15, 2011 10:59 PM
Sold TamJets TJ90MM Fan With Midi Rotor & Motor Setup $400 Shipped FlyBoyTha1 Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 3 Sep 12, 2010 01:50 PM
Discussion Lost over 90mm Midi Fan and Motor combo??? bri6672 Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 18 Jan 21, 2010 08:51 PM
Discussion 1.4KW+ motor for 6S on 70mm fan? DominicM Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 71 Aug 23, 2009 09:44 PM