HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2011, 08:46 PM
United States, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined Jan 2005
2,234 Posts
Its a sailplane

Looking at around a 150 inch span. The fuse is 64" long.

My plan is to have the fan mounted inside the fuselage. The tub is just the front portion.
Air Head is online now Find More Posts by Air Head
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2011, 09:31 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,944 Posts
Oh, ok. I thought it looked like a sailplane. Intresting. So are you going with the EDF for power so that it won`t have the drag in glide mode?
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2011, 08:20 AM
Joined Jan 2005
2,234 Posts
I think it would have a bit of drag

From the inlets and what not. More along the idea that I have not seen many like this before. I see the nacelle mounted on top but want a more challenging project.

I have seen a few like this mostly the Caproni Calif A21SJ Sailplane.

I just think it would be cool. I am going to try to make this without making molds for the prototype. If it works well then ill make a better version next. My biggest concern is the ducting. It looks like the wing rod will be right in the middle of the intake duct.
Last edited by Air Head; Jan 23, 2011 at 08:31 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 12:48 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,682 Posts
Hey Knife,

I see your in Carrollton, I live in Grand Prairie and would love to see your falcon scoot along at 160mph.

Do you fly out of a club field?

Regards
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Jan 23, 2011, 02:37 PM
Ky
Joined Feb 2003
1,485 Posts
Lee, following your link to EJF for the shaft adaptor I got this: "Sorry, the product was not found". I bought one a few weeks ago, and wanted to order a couple more. They must have sold out and deleted them from their site. Any ideas on a replacement?
Dave Barrow is online now Find More Posts by Dave Barrow
Old Jan 23, 2011, 04:51 PM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post
I`m looking forward to more numbers on the 4" Turbax rotor. I think it`s a winner. Let us know what you find out.
Lee, finally got to test my 4" setup today as I got everything ready, new test bench and nacelle done, Turbax cut down and balanced and a new 100HV esc arrived a couple of days ago. I'm testing this unit in the nacelle I've made for my Falcon 120, so this is installed numbers and not a naked fan. I used 12S 4000 40C Turnigy cells, and with my 800kV motor I got 9lbs of thrust on a 80mm exit diameter (a bit too small I think) pulling 70A. I did not measure the volts, but if we assume 3.6V/cell then that's 3000W basically.

This was on low timing though, and with cold batteries (only 5 degrees C outside). If the weather permits, I'll try to open up the exit to 83mm, that's 90% FSA, I'm at 83% FSA now which I think is a bit restrictive on such a short nacelle and do some more tests on Tuesday. I'll try to bump it up to mid and high timing as well to see what difference it makes.

This means that using the Turnigy T600 880kV motor is a good match on 12S with the cut down Turbax rotor in a 4" shroud, it should give a bit more power than my combo as it has a 10% higher kV. It's tempting to order one of them to see how it works, and maybe also one with 1100kV to use on 10S which should be just a little bit hotter than the 880 one on 12S. This shroud should fit in Tamjets 100mm nacelle also so that would be a easy way to mount one on a Falcon 120, it would be a good lightweight setup for that plane.
Arngeir Blakseth is offline Find More Posts by Arngeir Blakseth
Old Jan 23, 2011, 09:24 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
Hey Knife,

I see your in Carrollton, I live in Grand Prairie and would love to see your falcon scoot along at 160mph.

Do you fly out of a club field?

Regards
I`m a member of the North Dallas RC Club. The club field is about 10 miles East of Denton just off of 380. You are welcome to come out sometime and fly as my guest or just hang out.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2011, 09:26 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arngeir Blakseth View Post
Lee, finally got to test my 4" setup today as I got everything ready, new test bench and nacelle done, Turbax cut down and balanced and a new 100HV esc arrived a couple of days ago. I'm testing this unit in the nacelle I've made for my Falcon 120, so this is installed numbers and not a naked fan. I used 12S 4000 40C Turnigy cells, and with my 800kV motor I got 9lbs of thrust on a 80mm exit diameter (a bit too small I think) pulling 70A. I did not measure the volts, but if we assume 3.6V/cell then that's 3000W basically.

This was on low timing though, and with cold batteries (only 5 degrees C outside). If the weather permits, I'll try to open up the exit to 83mm, that's 90% FSA, I'm at 83% FSA now which I think is a bit restrictive on such a short nacelle and do some more tests on Tuesday. I'll try to bump it up to mid and high timing as well to see what difference it makes.

This means that using the Turnigy T600 880kV motor is a good match on 12S with the cut down Turbax rotor in a 4" shroud, it should give a bit more power than my combo as it has a 10% higher kV. It's tempting to order one of them to see how it works, and maybe also one with 1100kV to use on 10S which should be just a little bit hotter than the 880 one on 12S. This shroud should fit in Tamjets 100mm nacelle also so that would be a easy way to mount one on a Falcon 120, it would be a good lightweight setup for that plane.
very interesting test numbers!!!!!this may just bethe perfet setup for my jhh scale A-4....... what is the FSA on the 4" ???around 10 sq in i would guess?
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jan 23, 2011, 09:29 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Barrow View Post
Lee, following your link to EJF for the shaft adaptor I got this: "Sorry, the product was not found". I bought one a few weeks ago, and wanted to order a couple more. They must have sold out and deleted them from their site. Any ideas on a replacement?
I didn`t know about that. I`ll check it out.

CN`s buddy is making adapters and there are probably some other 6mm prop adapters that will work.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2011, 09:33 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arngeir Blakseth View Post

Good test. Thanks for sharing the numbers Arngeir.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2011, 01:08 AM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
very interesting test numbers!!!!!this may just bethe perfet setup for my jhh scale A-4....... what is the FSA on the 4" ???around 10 sq in i would guess?
The hub is 2" and the fan has a 4" ID so I get the FSA to be 9.42sq in, or 60.5cm2 for those who prefer metric.

I have put in a order for both a 880kV and a 1100kV Turnigy motor, both where in stock so I'll be back with test results in a couple of weeks on those two motors.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 09:55 AM
Joined Jan 2005
2,234 Posts
Adapters

Got my adapter and the work is really good. These look perfect!
Old Jan 25, 2011, 04:54 PM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,448 Posts
I opened up the tailpipe a bit on my nacelle yesterday and did a new test today on my 4" combo, now with a 83mm exit I get 9.5lbs of thrust, amps dropped a bit to 65A steady. This is 0.5lbs more thrust than with a 80mm exit. Amps dropped just a bit also, it was now steady at 65-66A. I tried to up the timing on the 100HV esc, but that did not work out, it seemed to stutter and loose sync at half throttle, so I had to keep it on low timing.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 05:21 PM
Joined Jan 2005
2,234 Posts
I get 9.5lbs of thrust

Would the 1100 KV motor work in that fan?
Old Jan 25, 2011, 05:28 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Head View Post
Would the 1100 KV motor work in that fan?

Check post #485. I tested the 1100kv in a 4" fan with a cut down Turbax rotor.
RCG Plus Member