HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2010, 02:19 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Oct 2000
2,049 Posts
Lee,

You keep refering the motor as a 4035, but the photo and specs are of a 4030 motor. Am I right? It is the 4030/880kv Turnigy right.

Ric
RicVaughn is offline Find More Posts by RicVaughn
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2010, 02:47 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicVaughn View Post
Lee,

You keep refering the motor as a 4035, but the photo and specs are of a 4030 motor. Am I right? It is the 4030/880kv Turnigy right.

Ric
My bad, 4030 is correct. I went back and corrected the numbers for future readers.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knife Liddle; Oct 23, 2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 06:37 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,826 Posts
glad to report that ive got the parts coming to make my own version of this fan!
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Oct 23, 2010, 06:37 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,826 Posts
maybe i missed it lee, but what esc are you using?
Old Oct 23, 2010, 08:43 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,501 Posts
I'm using the Turnigy 120 HV. It's a great esc for the money.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2010, 10:31 PM
Lets burn
Australia, QLD, Kewarra Beach
Joined Apr 2006
241 Posts
Hey guys, it looks like a killer combo ya got there.
What Jet would we be putting this into?

Also would this motor go well in the 4 inch version from HK?
Also any idea of combos for the 127mm version?

Lookin at options, love the experimenting.

Cheers

Matt
Cosmo21 is offline Find More Posts by Cosmo21
Old Oct 23, 2010, 11:11 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,501 Posts
I`m building a shroud and mounting plate to install mine on my Falcon 120 wing. I`m getting 13.5lbs of thrust and the plane should weigh about 14lbs on 10s. The thrust will drop some when I choke down the exhaust, but it should be fun.

This motor will fit in the 4" fan. The dia of the motor tube is the same.

I`ll be glad is they come out with a beefier motor for the bigger fan. Good thing the Heli market is driving the big outrunner R&D. I think there are more to come because of the Heli bucks to be had.

This motor would work in the 5" fan, I just don`t think it`s gonna stay together at much over 4.5kw.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2010, 01:10 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,937 Posts
This motor will NOT fit into the 4" fan without some remove of material from the inside of the motor housing, and even then I think it's too tight, I think someone tried and the motor would move and rub the housing. Smaller outrunners will work but you're limited in power due to motor mass. Inrunners may be the way to go, I've got some I want to try.
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old Oct 24, 2010, 01:27 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Waldrep View Post
This motor will NOT fit into the 4" fan without some remove of material from the inside of the motor housing, and even then I think it's too tight, I think someone tried and the motor would move and rub the housing. Smaller outrunners will work but you're limited in power due to motor mass. Inrunners may be the way to go, I've got some I want to try.
Yes some material has to be removed in the 4" or the 4.5" housing.

I have an old 4" housing. I mounted the 4030 in last week and ran it up to 32k on 12s and 100a. If it was rubbing, it didn`t seem to slow it down any. I didn`t have an intake ring on it and didn`t measure thrust, but did get a 200mph efflux reading with no tailpipe.

I have a new motor and a new 4" housing on order, when I get them I`ll do it up right and post the numbers.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2010, 01:54 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,501 Posts
Mounting it on the Falcon 120 wing machine

OK it`s time to stop bench racing this combo and put it in the air. I have a E fly-in to go to next weekend, so I`m getting my Falcon 120 wing put back to airworthy and fitting the Haoye/Turnigy combo to it for the show.

I just added two layers of 1/16" balsa to the outside and another layer on the inside of the front to smooth out the inner lip. Then wrapped a 1/32" ply layer around the outside for an easier surface to finish and it leaves a small lip at the back so that I can finish it out with a thin plastic outer tapered cone on top of the inner efflux cone. Clear as mud right?. I`ll take more pics next time.

This has a 7/32" radius outer lip, which is good enough for smooth airflow especially at high speeds.

Here are some pics, ready for the motor.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2010, 07:53 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2015 , May 28-31
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,899 Posts
Good stuff Knife. Like Cosmo21, I think the 4" stock Hayoe could be interesting.
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Oct 25, 2010, 01:00 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cox View Post
Good stuff Knife. Like Cosmo21, I think the 4" stock Hayoe could be interesting.
just got an e-mail from HK that my new motors and fans have been shipped. Next week I`ll set up the 4" with an intake ring and see what it will do with this motor on 10, 11, and 12s.

I had my old one up to 100a on 12s (over 4kw for sure). It was extremely loud without an intake ring, but still was pushing out 200mph air. This is an awesome motor for the price. I`ll have 3 of them when I get my order, and can`t wait for one to fry so that I can play with rewinding it.

I also have my new 100mm sport jet that I`m about to get finished, so that will be available soon for flight tests.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2010, 01:09 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,826 Posts
im intersted in the 4" fan as well. i wonder how the turbax rotor would do as a 4"....
Old Oct 25, 2010, 01:10 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,501 Posts
Mounted on the Falcon120 Wing

My Falcon 120 hasn`t flown in about a year. I bounced it kind of hard it`s last flight and broke a strut. So it needs some TLC before the E-Flyin this comming weekend, but I`ve made a to-do list, and it will be ready to go.

This system is WAY lighter than the twin 90s that were on it, so the AUW is going to come in at only 13.25lbs. I`m expecting around 12.5lbs installed with the exhaust choked down a little and about 210 or so on the efflux speed. So the performance should be great and at 4lbs lighter it will just about land itself.

Please forgive the dust, a bath is on the list for sure.
RCG Plus Member