HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2010, 12:02 PM
Keith Thomas
United States, NM, Portales
Joined Feb 2010
1,159 Posts
Take a look at post 308, Lee goes over how he does it. In post 311 it shows how I do it. I really like the post Lee put up, I just have a bunch of equipment in my shop….toys and more toys.
keithtsr is offline Find More Posts by keithtsr
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2010, 12:28 PM
Matrix 90 & 100mm sport jet
Merritt Island Fl
Joined Aug 2008
1,046 Posts
Thanks, they both look like a good way to do it. I wonder when Hk will get these motors back in stock. sure would like to have a motor in my hand's before making the adapter.
Getmore Rc is offline Find More Posts by Getmore Rc
Old Dec 03, 2010, 05:54 AM
RC pilot by soul
Israel
Joined Apr 2005
2,530 Posts
So what is the best combo then ?

Haoye 4.5" shroud / cut down Turbax rotor / Turnigy 880kv motor on 12S 6500mAh ?
i3dm is offline Find More Posts by i3dm
Old Dec 03, 2010, 08:04 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,508 Posts
Yes. You can see back in the first post how the Turbax and Haeyo rotors compare. The Turbax is better by far.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2010, 10:13 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,829 Posts
you going to fly this thing or not lee?

on a good note, i should ahve pics of the motor extension, and shaft adapter on monday....spinner shortly after.....ill test it out, and my buddy will be ready to make them for you guys....i think its going to be the key to long life at 5+ kw. i ordered some 6000 12s nano techs.....
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Dec 03, 2010, 10:55 AM
RC pilot by soul
Israel
Joined Apr 2005
2,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post
Yes. You can see back in the first post how the Turbax and Haeyo rotors compare. The Turbax is better by far.
Can you detail which parts exactly did you order for the Turbax ?
Also, does the Turnigy motor live well and long under these conditions ?
i3dm is offline Find More Posts by i3dm
Old Dec 03, 2010, 11:16 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3dm View Post
I can't link it directly because the JHH web site isn't set up like that. Go to the link which is replacement parts and convertion parts and just scroll down to the rotor and spinner ($40 and $10$) there are no pictures. That's all that comes from JHH.

I have three flights on the first motor I bought at up around 4.5kw and the windings have not been hot, they are still bright and shinny. Other than that and my numerous bench runs I can't say. My opinion is that it will give you far more than $35 worth of performance. We will eventually find the limits of this motor but right now it's too early. I know they sold all they had. So hopefully those who follow the thread will post their findings as we go.

I'll pay $15 shipped for one with burned windings. So if you burn one up you'll only be out about $20.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2010, 11:21 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3dm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
you going to fly this thing or not lee?

on a good note, i should ahve pics of the motor extension, and shaft adapter on monday....spinner shortly after.....ill test it out, and my buddy will be ready to make them for you guys....i think its going to be the key to long life at 5+ kw. i ordered some 6000 12s nano techs.....
Maybe I can fly it tomorrow Brent if my hangover isn't too bad. ( free margaritas at the holiday party tonight and a girlfriend to drive me home). But we both know that with 2 lbs more thrust and 50 mph more efflux, it's gonna kick butt.

Looking forward to those custom parts. That's going to be the hot ticket for sure.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2010, 12:25 PM
Keith Thomas
Joined Feb 2010
1,159 Posts
Lee,

I just received my adapters from EJF for the Scorpion motor….how the heck are you mounting this thing? Do you have to put a set screw in it?

Keith
Old Dec 03, 2010, 12:52 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithtsr View Post
Lee,

I just received my adapters from EJF for the Scorpion motor….how the heck are you mounting this thing? Do you have to put a set screw in it?

Keith
You aren't familiar with a collet style adapter?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2010, 01:03 PM
Keith Thomas
Joined Feb 2010
1,159 Posts
No sir, no idea. They are similar to the old school stuff for the OS and BVM, but that’s a different deal. The only thing I can think is to drive it on...that don't sound like fun.

I feel like Will Ferrell in Talladega Nights and running around the shop screaming “help me Jesus…help me Tom Cruise…help me Lee Liddle!!!

Sorry couldn’t resist the opportunity.

Keith
Old Dec 03, 2010, 01:35 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,508 Posts
Quote:
No sir, no idea. They are similar to the old school stuff for the OS and BVM, but that’s a different deal. The only thing I can think is to drive it on...that don't sound like fun.

I feel like Will Ferrell in Talladega Nights and running around the shop screaming “help me Jesus…help me Tom Cruise…help me Lee Liddle!!!

Sorry couldn’t resist the opportunity.

Keith

It should slip on the shaft easily. The tapered parts cause the adapter to squeeze tight on to the motor shaft when the nut it tightened against the prop or rotor in our case. Use a prop and play with
it. Don't tighten it to tight until it's where you want it to stay because sometimes they are hard to get off. When it's in the fan and everything is double cheched, some locktite will be good insurance.

Be careful! This thing will produce 6hp and therefore can be Very Dangerous if not set up correctly.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2010, 01:39 PM
Keith Thomas
Joined Feb 2010
1,159 Posts
Thanks Lee,
I was just in the shop looking at one of my old OS and a Ramtec fan.....works about the same, sometimes I amaze myself, dang.
Sorry to bug,
Thanks again
Old Dec 03, 2010, 02:35 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,508 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Lee,
I was just in the shop looking at one of my old OS and a Ramtec fan.....works about the same, sometimes I amaze myself, dang.
Sorry to bug,
Thanks again
No prob. It just worried me a little. After all I didn't start the thread with the quote. "now kids, don't try this at home". LOL
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2010, 05:16 PM
Keith Thomas
Joined Feb 2010
1,159 Posts
I’ll tell ya what worries my wife and kids….I have a shop full of really scary equipment; Lathes, milling machines all kinds of welding equipment….If it ain’t sharp and can’t cause major injuries, I don’t want it. If I could just get my brain to quit taking these little vacations!!!!!
Last edited by keithtsr; Dec 03, 2010 at 10:37 PM.