HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2011, 12:52 PM
Joined Jan 2011
28 Posts
First, the battery configuration was, 12s 5000 mA 25C Turnigy Li-Pos.

Second, the fan is a Hoaye 4.5" (122mm) and the Impeller is cut down JHH Turbax the ESC was A Hobby Wing(LowPriceRC) 120HV.
We did not run the fan at full throttle. We were at about half to three-quarter.
The ESC was not in the air flow it sat on the bench next to the fan.
We did not have an amp meter capable of 100-120 amps.
However, the thrust indicater on the test stand read 11.1 lbs. When the ESC burst into flames. I did have (3) 63-1000Mu Capacitors in line ahead of the ESC.
We can't explain what happened. But it was an eye opener.
I just think it was a faulty ESC.
I have ordered the new Turnigy 160HV ESC. When it arrives, we try again.
Incidently, I touched the back of the motor when the flames went out and it was warm/cool, not hot at all.
If you guys have any thoughts, pleas let me know.

Thanks

Tom
tomp40c is offline Find More Posts by tomp40c
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2011, 01:21 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,627 Posts
Tom, the reason for the battery configuration question, was this-"Connected all four batteries in series creating 12s 5000mA 25C." I thought you were using 6s, must have been 4-3s When you get your new ESC, give us a reveiw on it.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Nov 22, 2011, 08:33 PM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,478 Posts
Tom, I've run the same fan but decided not to go over 11s; as the amps downloaded from the ICE 120 showed it maxed at 117amps WOT burst(measured with rounded lip & exhaust pipe). My clamp-on indicated amps max at 107amps with ICE at 117. Seems my ICE indication is on the high side. Actually made my old 6s nanotechs puff a bit when the above was flown over 4.5min. Since restricting flights to 4min.

I might try 12s when I get a 160 ICE.

Phil
PhilLin is offline Find More Posts by PhilLin
Old Nov 22, 2011, 09:34 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,224 Posts
The Turnigy 120hv will do up to 150 in short bursts and 135 in longer (20 sec bursts) as long as it`s getting plenty of cool air. Which ever esc you run, I would suggest always keep it in the airflow from the fan when doing bench tests. Or at least have a small fan of some sort moving air across it.

Or like Phil suggests, keep it to 11s.

Phil, when you gat the 160 don`t hesitate to go 12s. the motor can take it.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2011, 03:54 PM
United States, CA, Lancaster
Joined Jan 2009
1,261 Posts
Tomp40c:
My past experience with high amperage motor controls is make sure you have good isolation between the control single and the ESC output. Interference can cause stray control single that confuses FET switching. Large input capacitors are good for voltage sags but does little for noise in this instance. Another thing is the motors inertia when the fan spools down causes stray voltages generating back into the ESC. Good FET output isolation circuits will prevent high current surges that will destroy these FET. That's why you should never spool up and down rapidly. As a thought low braking settings would prevent surges and the FET has more switching time. Another thing is if the motors winding are not the same this would cause a phase to be off a few degrees. The would cause one bank of FET's to work harder than the others. Its too bad that the only thing to do with these ESC is set the timing to correct this factor.
Industrial motor controllers has internal settings to compensate for motor internal resistance. Controller timing is mostly constant for permanent magnet motor types. What changes for speed is the positive or negative dwell times. This is known as Pulse Width Modulation (PWM).
p901P901 is offline Find More Posts by p901P901
Last edited by p901P901; Dec 19, 2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 05:41 PM
Capt. Z
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2004
2,645 Posts
Doing the maiden flight tomorrow, of my scratch built BIG 96" long twin foamy eurofighter. Useing twin Haoye 127mm fans, the Turnigey 4030-880 motors with 8S per side. Numbers on the meter were around 85 to 90 amps depending on battery charge level, 2000 to 2400 watts and 9 pounds static thrust per side for around 18 pounds tottal. AUW weight of the plane is 18 pounds so just right at 1 to 1 thrust.

Man for around $35 bucks for the fans and $60 bucks for the motors it's a cheap 18 pounds of thrust that's for sure.
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Nov 23, 2011, 05:57 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,224 Posts
Very Cool, would love to see some pics of the big EF2000. Good luck with the maiden.!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2011, 06:07 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
ditto on the pics. would love to see that. video would be awesome too.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Nov 23, 2011, 06:42 PM
Capt. Z
Joined Dec 2004
2,645 Posts
I didn't take many pics of the plane but here is one during construction. I use the term Eurofighter loosly as it's realy just a big foamy to go bore some holes in the sky with.
The theme of the build was CHEAP!! cheap fans, cheap motors, cheap airframe.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 06:50 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
OH SNAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you got template PDF's for that thing? I'de love to cut one of those for myself. can you tell I have a Typhoon fetish!? LOL.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 06:52 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,224 Posts
Looks cool! Does it have LG or is it handlaunch?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2011, 08:33 PM
Capt. Z
Joined Dec 2004
2,645 Posts
LOL..no PDF sorry, I just kinda made it up as I went along. Yep it has the E-Flight 60-120 electric retracts, and some nice struts for cushon. Both fans have the Air Sally inlet rings on them.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 09:38 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
that sucker is a beast. it's gonna go good and look just as good in the air.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 01:29 PM
Capt. Z
Joined Dec 2004
2,645 Posts
Fun Fun Fun!!! The BIG twin EDF foamy Euro flew beautifully!! The two 5" Haoye fans performed GREAT!! and the plane lands like a feather. Kinda surprised at 18 pounds it would land so nice but it is pretty big and has allot of wing.

Bottom line is if you want to dial down two cheap Hayoe 5" fans, pick up some 1" thick blue core foam and slap together your favorite BIG foamy airplane and go bore some holes in the sky with 18 pounds of inexpencive thrust and have a blast..

Fans have standard mods everyone is doing, beefed up motor mount with lite ply and Hysol, and balanced the rotors. Bada bing bada boom..now go build one yourself and go have some FUN!!!

it's going in the paint shop for a nice paint job and some detail.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 02:04 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon5 View Post
Fun Fun Fun!!! The BIG twin EDF foamy Euro flew beautifully!! The two 5" Haoye fans performed GREAT!! and the plane lands like a feather. Kinda surprised at 18 pounds it would land so nice but it is pretty big and has allot of wing.

Bottom line is if you want to dial down two cheap Hayoe 5" fans, pick up some 1" thick blue core foam and slap together your favorite BIG foamy airplane and go bore some holes in the sky with 18 pounds of inexpencive thrust and have a blast..

Fans have standard mods everyone is doing, beefed up motor mount with lite ply and Hysol, and balanced the rotors. Bada bing bada boom..now go build one yourself and go have some FUN!!!

it's going in the paint shop for a nice paint job and some detail.
It's this a Jetset44 build? Did you glass any of it?

You willing to do a build thread?

This is great, first time I've heard of a foamy this size fly successfully....would love to see a vid
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Last edited by erh7771; Nov 24, 2011 at 02:12 PM.