SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 09, 2011, 01:29 PM
Joined Jan 2011
28 Posts
Lee,

Glad to hear thread is still going strong. All the info posted here has help me with my project.
An update on my F-15 Regal Eagle conversion to EDF. Have all components.Cut a piece of G-10 to fit inside the mounting ears on the Shroud. Using a Harry Higby adapter nut between the impeller and JHH spinner. changed connectors on Turmnigy 5000mA-25C batteries to 6mm(per recomendation of JHH. About to install 63-1000Mu capacitors ahead of the ESC. Next, adaptin the fan mounts in the fuselage to instll Hoye shroud. I will post som pics when all sub assemblies are finished.
Question, since this shroud will be mounted inside the fuselage and ducting will be in and out of the shroud, is a rounded lip necessary? I had an idea to sanf the lip of the shrould to blend against the inlet duct. What are your thoughts?
Once again, thanks for all the good hard work and information you did and all the rest of you guys ideas and thoughts have created a resonable solution to getting us novices into EDFs.

Tom
tomp40c is offline Find More Posts by tomp40c
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2011, 06:28 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,208 Posts
[QUOTE=tomp40c;19000186]Lee,

Glad to hear thread is still going strong. All the info posted here has help me with my project.
An update on my F-15 Regal Eagle conversion to EDF. Have all components.Cut a piece of G-10 to fit inside the mounting ears on the Shroud. Using a Harry Higby adapter nut between the impeller and JHH spinner. changed connectors on Turmnigy 5000mA-25C batteries to 6mm(per recomendation of JHH. About to install 63-1000Mu capacitors ahead of the ESC. Next, adaptin the fan mounts in the fuselage to instll Hoye shroud. I will post som pics when all sub assemblies are finished.
Question, since this shroud will be mounted inside the fuselage and ducting will be in and out of the shroud, is a rounded lip necessary? I had an idea to sanf the lip of the shrould to blend against the inlet duct. What are your thoughts?
Once again, thanks for all the good hard work and information you did and all the rest of you guys ideas and thoughts have created a resonable solution to

getting us novices into EDFs.

That's going to make a great first edf project. No need to start with a 70mm when this power system costs only slightly more and the big planes are easier to work on and fly.

On your intake for your fan. The intake ducting eliminates the need for an intake ring. You do want a smooth transition between the duct and the fan housing. Most ducts are made with a step at the point where the fan joins in. If you don't have a step, and don't want to make one, then thinning the leading edge of the fan housing so that you don't have that blunt lip will also work.

Keep us posted and good luck.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 09, 2011, 06:34 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilLin View Post
Had 2 flights on Sunday. First retirm flight 4 minutes from start of take off run to call descend for landing (+15sec?), taxi back to pits & 1+ min idle cool down. Total recharge 3450 into 5000mah 11s packs. 2nd flight 5min, including 3 speed passes, 4 stall turns to 300+ft? Recharge took some 3860ma or still 22% capacity remaining.

Much better flight time on this modified 4.5 incher than stock 4in Haoye. Did not shot any video to check speed.

Phil
Big congrats on your success Phil!! I forgot what airframe you have it mounted on. I told you that you'd see way better performance. It's all about the Turbax rotor. It's design is just that much better. Too bad tha Haoye didn't copy a good rotor
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 09, 2011, 06:37 PM
2014 EDF JET JAM We be Jamming
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,847 Posts
Congrats Phil!
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Aug 09, 2011, 07:15 PM
United States, WI, Chetek
Joined Jul 2011
492 Posts
Kinda late to the party here but I am reading a lot about very cheap fans in this thread. Isn't anyone concerned about these fans coming apart, like what happened to Sheppard559? http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1422236

Not bashing or anything....just curious. I am all for low cost but would rather pay more if I could increase safety...

Just thinking out loud here.
JurassicJet is online now Find More Posts by JurassicJet
Old Aug 09, 2011, 09:30 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,488 Posts
Hey Lee,
Did you test that ESC yet?
rvincent is offline Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Aug 10, 2011, 02:50 AM
Germany
Joined Jan 2003
171 Posts
Jethangar shipped the rotor very fast and i am only waiting for ESC now.

Any ideas about different ESC as 120HV from HK? It is long out of stock now

Will the 100A super brain work?
modellbobby is offline Find More Posts by modellbobby
Old Aug 10, 2011, 07:22 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicJet View Post
Kinda late to the party here but I am reading a lot about very cheap fans in this thread. Isn't anyone concerned about these fans coming apart, like what happened to Sheppard559? http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1422236

Not bashing or anything....just curious. I am all for low cost but would rather pay more if I could increase safety...

Just thinking out loud here.
I think that topic has been completely covered earlier in this thread. I'd suggest that you go back and read through the posts following Shep's accident. I think that all of the bases were well covered then. Ultimatly we are all adults and responsible for operating our toys safely.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2011, 07:25 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by modellbobby View Post
Jethangar shipped the rotor very fast and i am only waiting for ESC now.

Any ideas about different ESC as 120HV from HK? It is long out of stock now

Will the 100A super brain work?
The Hobby Wing 120hv is the same unit and it is available from many sources. The Super Brain will probably work as long as you use lower voltage and keep the max amps below 100.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2011, 09:43 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,721 Posts
Quote:
Kinda late to the party here but I am reading a lot about very cheap fans in this thread. Isn't anyone concerned about these fans coming apart, like what happened to Sheppard559?...
Cheap doesn't mean bad quality, I've learned the hard way in this hobby that the high priced Chinese made stuff isn't worth 8 times the cost of the low priced Chinese made stuff....it's all Chinese made.

The 120mm ChangeSun fans shroud is something you can almost stand on it's so thick and if the rotor on THIS fan throws a blade is because someone tried to shove a Buick into it at WOT but it's only 50 bucks shipped.
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Last edited by erh7771; Aug 10, 2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 01:06 PM
Joined Jul 2011
492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
Cheap doesn't mean bad quality, I've learned the hard way in this hobby that the high priced Chinese made stuff isn't worth 8 times the cost of the low priced Chinese made stuff....it's all Chinese made.

The 120mm ChangeSun fans shroud is something you can almost stand on it's so thick and if the rotor on THIS fan throws a blade is because someone tried to shove a Buick into it at WOT but it's only 50 bucks shipped.
Good to know that erh7771. Thanks for the info. I am building a JHH Kfir and trying to decide on power system. e-Turbax or a cheaper version. I am a big fan of Neu motors.....

Knife Liddle....... I did not want to go back through all 100 pages of this post. I understand we are adults (no all of the posters are though im guessing).
Old Aug 10, 2011, 01:17 PM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,458 Posts
I would look into doing a 4" setup for the Kfir, I'm running one of these on a Falcon 120 with great results. A Haoye 4" shroud, Turnigy 4030-880kV motor on 12S 5000 with a Sentilon 100HV esc is what I have. I'm happy with the performance it gives on a 15lb Falcon so a smaller and ligther Kfir should be fun. Have you seen the Kfir thread by Corsair Nut? I believe he's running a cut down Turbax setup as well in that plane with success.
Arngeir Blakseth is offline Find More Posts by Arngeir Blakseth
Old Aug 10, 2011, 01:31 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,208 Posts
Quote:
Good to know that erh7771. Thanks for the info. I am building a JHH Kfir and trying to decide on power system. e-Turbax or a cheaper version. I am a big fan of Neu motors.....

Knife Liddle....... I did not want to go back through all 100 pages of this post. I understand we are adults (no all of the posters are though im guessing).
You don't have to go through all 100 pages. Just look to see the date that the "Pray for Shep" thread was started and the find the posts on this thread that were after that. The posts are in cronilogical order. It will only take you a minute or two to find the posts related to your questin if you are really that intrested in what others had to say about it.

I've had dozens of flights with this system at power levels over 5kw with no issues. That's all that I can tell you. It works.

Most of the plug and play systems that are available use converted old IC fan designs. These fans were designed to take the beating of an IC motor and are way over-designed for electric use. Electric motors don't puut anywhere near the strain on the fan housing.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 11, 2011, 02:46 PM
Joined Jan 2011
28 Posts
Lee,

Progress report. Reagle Eagle EDF converstion. All 5000mA batteries now have 6mm connectors, HobbyWing ESC(because Hobby King was out of stock when I bought mine)now has (3)63v-1000uf capacitors installed.
Question, the red wire that is attached around the red wire that you disconnect when the batteries are plugged into the leads to the ESC, can that wire be lengthened so that it is easier to pull that red lead appart?
Also, in response to Jurassicjet's comments about the accident with Shep and his reference to cheap components, I would offer this response. If you feel that this thread is filled with cheap components, then you can choose to purchase a more expensive component to create your own system. I think what has been accomplished here has been benefiscial to more RC Moderlers interested in this phase of the Hobby who do not have the resources to purchase the so called high end components or systems. We here are not the watchdogs of the people who read this thread and critise its safety. In life you choose your own way and you are the only one responsible for your actions. So, choose if you will but critise not the effort that has ben put forth here to save those in this hobby that don't have the resources that some may have.
tomp40c is offline Find More Posts by tomp40c
Old Aug 11, 2011, 06:18 PM
Joined Jul 2011
492 Posts
My life revolves around, and relies on, safety.

Didn't realize I was gonna get flamed so many times for my comment.

carry on.