SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 22, 2011, 04:31 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arngeir Blakseth View Post
Anybody know why Hobbyking have almost doubled the price on these motors? It was 33$ when I got mine, and now they are priced at 60$.

Because of this thread. They got in a second batch of motors and sold them out in days, so it`s a supply and demand thing.
Knife Liddle is offline Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2011, 04:52 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arngeir Blakseth View Post
....Anybody know why Hobbyking have almost doubled the price on these motors? It was 33$ when I got mine, and now they are priced at 60$.
The blog mentioned the increase in magnet prices cause China is doing the right thing and buyin up all the magnet material they can find. The Japanese found another generation supply of this stuff but its 20miles deep into some water.

You can use this motor with the hoaye 127mm and their ChangeSun 120mm without mods, knifes combo is the lightest with only 100amps on 12s. I also posted vids of some test on their SuxFly motors 1660kvs doing 9pds on a 90mm Starmax rotor and those motors are up 50%

But yeah, I was gonna buy 2 or 3 of em and now they've doubled the price...I'm looking at that SUPPO motor long can 910kv outrunner with 6mm shaft...it's not that far away KV wise and its 23 skins less.........for now.

fightercatracing.com might have that 910kv suppo in stock but don't know how much for
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:54 PM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,454 Posts
Okay, I was not goofing but took time off to take care of real life priorities while waiting for the Hyperion adaptor, which finally came by good ole USPS.

As said before, the Knife really makes it look so easy; but obviously was not for me. Off the bat I'm now happy with my conversion now after much tribulation; & will get into some static run testing first opportunity tomorrow, albeit missing inlet ring & tailpipe. Hope my comments save others much time. Please do let me know if this is too much details

Phil

ps: I need some pix to post the following. Sorry for suspense?
PhilLin is offline Find More Posts by PhilLin
Old Jul 24, 2011, 02:53 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,009 Posts
It`s all good Phil. I`m glad to know there is an adapter with a spinner bolt hole already in it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2011, 09:16 AM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,454 Posts
Hyperion motor shaft Collet Adaptor

Thx for your encouragement, Lee; & your willingness to share.

1st pix shows the several adaptors I checked out for my mod:
Left to right, MPi Maxx collet type similar to Eflite, etc; Hyperion 8-60XXL, my custom made adaptor for stock Haoye; MPiMaxx setscrew type.

- The leftmost unit has minimal tapered section relative to the rest.
- The Hyperion unit is obviously much more hefty than the others. It has a tapered section 16mm long c/w 20mm diam. neck, & also has a deeper shaft hole, plus a 3mm threaded hole for a spinner.
- We might come back to the custom adaptor later, & we already covered the problem I had with the setscrew unit on the right.

So the Hyperion unit is my obvious preference; but it is not without problem
Old Jul 24, 2011, 09:29 AM
2014 EDF JET JAM We be Jamming
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,781 Posts
Thanks for the pics Phil. I am going to use the full size Turbax in the CS shourd with the 880 motor. I currently have the GP 4910 and hope to run it up on 10S later today.
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Jul 24, 2011, 09:34 AM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,454 Posts
Accommodating Large diam neck on Hyperion adaptor

But the large (20mm diam) collet neck cud not slip thru middle of the 4 motor mount screws, & wud otherwise sit on top of them thus limiting engagement depth of motor shaft inside the adaptor.

Pix #2 shows my work around by removing the center of the original motor spider, to allow the motor screw heads to be lowered.

The right side shows the stock motor mount spiders cut down to stubs for a next step; but the left unit is my latest where J-B weld is applied liberally to the ply-star joints except for the areas to be removed; but I left the milling till after the epoxy cured.

An end mill for Dremel tools was set to the top of the ply-star on my drill press, so the shroud can be pushed around to remove unwanted center of the stock spider & epoxy that seeped under. Oh yes, I had previously cut the rear end of the motor tube flush with the OD of fan shroud so the unit sits stable on its rear without rocking.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 09:41 AM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cox View Post
..... I am going to use the full size Turbax in the CS shourd with the 880 motor. I currently have the GP 4910 and hope to run it up on 10S later today.
That will be interesting, Kevin! Will you be starting a thread on a C_S mod?

Phil
Old Jul 24, 2011, 11:55 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Oct 2000
2,049 Posts
Is the part number of the Hyperion prop adapter, HP-AD-860XXL, 6mm?

Ric
RicVaughn is offline Find More Posts by RicVaughn
Old Jul 24, 2011, 08:50 PM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicVaughn View Post
Is the part number of the Hyperion prop adapter, HP-AD-860XXL, 6mm?

Ric
Hi, Rick! The tag on the bag says "HP-ADAP-8-60XXL". It is the one for 6mm motor shaft, extra long 8mm prop shaft diam.

Phil
Old Jul 24, 2011, 09:03 PM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,454 Posts
Quick Run Up

Did a quick run up of the fan on 6S-5000, to a max of 37+amps. Checked for vibration, which did not seem bad; but I'm guessing that without a rounded lip inlet ring, the intake airflow was very turbulent. So did not dare try for 10S or 11S.

Next task is to fab the inlet ring. For the 4" Haoye, I found the quart (or is it liter) size diet Coke plastic bottle just the right diameter to mold a ring, as a base for the foam ring that slips just right over the shroud. Can anybody suggest some readily available object for the the 4.5incher? Else I Plan to check out the plastic pipe section of the hdware store tomorrow.

Will download the HV120CC later for some data.

Phil
Old Jul 25, 2011, 04:33 PM
Joined Jan 2011
28 Posts
Lee
Thanks. I'll try HK. LH only carries 4mm and 6mm.

Tom
tomp40c is offline Find More Posts by tomp40c
Old Jul 25, 2011, 09:27 PM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,454 Posts
My Converted 4.5in Haoye/Turbax

Here is a preview of my fan as I'm testing.

I cut down the tips of the Turbax rotor by about 1/8inch, intending to have about 1/16" clearance to the shroud. Eyeballing for equal clearance around the rim (a no no), I found a bit of rub mark after the 6s max run. Filler guage says I only had less than 15-thou at tightest spot

So sanded the tips down, first with 180 grit followed by purple 100grit. Now clearance is just over 15thou. Seems a voice is saying I should find & use a piece of 80grit?

Did you notice the alu spinner

Phil
Old Jul 25, 2011, 09:32 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,009 Posts
Yeah. Nice spinner. Where did you get that?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:08 PM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,454 Posts
Balancing the Turbax impeller/Spinner

Wanted to run fan to max rpm before posting this part, but will be spending next few days making inlet ring & tailpipe; that is with whatever time left over from EAA this week. So maybe I shud go ahead with this.

Yes I'm doing a bit of beta testing of the above spinner in case some problem with fit, etc & running pops up. I might be the 2nd beta?

Saw somewhere that some fellow was unable to balance the Turbax rotor with the stock injection molded spinner; so I was intrigued. As all know, current Turbax impellers are factory dynamically balanced on 2 planes. But since I manually cut its individual blades, thought I should rebalance (static only) Then I mounted the beta spinner & found the assembly was out of balance (OOB) again as expected. Remember my custom adaptor with the thru drilled hole in post #1535 pix? It came handy for all the balancing below.

Now here's the kicker. I found that when advancng the spinner light (?) spot one blade space at a time, the new heavy spot of the assy stayed at same place! So I checked the balance of the impeller & spinner individually. Then suspected & confirmed that the circular seat for the spinner on the impeller s had a total indicated runout (TIR) of 10thou.

Ended up placing the lightest spot of assembly & heavy spot on spinner together, then adding a little extra weight to the still light spot of assy, before the whole thing wud stay balanced & overcome the TIR.

Remember, this is a sample size of one; or in statistics, not representative of all Turbax impeller. OTOH, it is an injection molded item....