HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2011, 04:28 PM
Joined Jan 2011
28 Posts
any of you guys know were I can buy 5 or 5.5mm bullet connectors?

Thanks

Tom
tomp40c is offline Find More Posts by tomp40c
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2011, 04:30 PM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,483 Posts
Dan, I've been using about 100-ohm, 1w for years, w/ 2mm bullet connectors. Does not heat up as much since lower inrush current that charges over a longer time.

Phil
PhilLin is offline Find More Posts by PhilLin
Last edited by PhilLin; Jul 20, 2011 at 06:16 PM. Reason: typos
Old Jul 20, 2011, 06:14 PM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,483 Posts
Try my hand on this fan conversion

Thanks to KL (aka Lee) for doing all the heavy lifting on this route to low cost fans. Can't let Lee have all the fun so decided to jump in as well. (Actually I needed a new fan when the plastic lugs on my old 4" Haoye, which I had for 2+yrs cracked due to misalignment). Lee makes the conversion seem so easy. I've since learned a few lessons which may be worth sharing with folks on the forum? Don't know if its okay with Lee to add my findings here or start a new thread?

Phil
Last edited by PhilLin; Jul 20, 2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 07:18 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,360 Posts
Sure Phil, jump in with anything you've got.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2011, 07:23 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilLin View Post
Thanks to KL (aka Lee) for doing all the heavy lifting on this route to low cost fans. Can't let Lee have all the fun so decided to jump in as well. (Actually I needed a new fan when the plastic lugs on my old 4" Haoye, which I had for 2+yrs cracked due to misalignment). Lee makes the conversion seem so easy. I've since learned a few lessons which may be worth sharing with folks on the forum? Don't know if its okay with Lee to add my findings here or start a new thread?

Phil
I've already bookmarked this thread.... this puts reasonably light, cost effective and decent thrust fans in the hands of folks who couldn't think about it a couple of years ago (like me)...I vote for keeping everything in one thread and linking different spots via summary page so one doesn't have to dig for hours to get to the good stuff.

jus My 2 cents
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2011, 07:44 PM
Matrix 90 & 100mm sport jet
Merritt Island Fl
Joined Aug 2008
1,046 Posts
Ditto
Getmore Rc is offline Find More Posts by Getmore Rc
Old Jul 20, 2011, 08:59 PM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,483 Posts
Thx, Lee!

I purchased 2 each of 4" & 4.5" Haoyes & 2 JHI rotors. I previously ran a stock 4 incher on Neu 1521-2Y (780 kv) after smoking a 1515-2.5Y (850kv) on newer low resistance Lipolys. The latter may have survived but a poorly fitting finned heat sink did not help. But then the plastic mounting lugs on this fan shroud finally cracked after 2+ yrs, due to badly aligned alu mounting brackets.

Since I only got the Turnigy 600-880, I'll start with my 4.5" mods for now. I've learned a few lessons on shaft adaptor choice, on balancing I can cover in more detail.

Phil
Old Jul 20, 2011, 09:21 PM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,483 Posts
Shaft adaptors & flat milled on Turnigy 600 for setscrew

Didn't like using a collet adaptor on a motor shaft with full length flat milled for set screws, as I was not sure the part of the collet over the flat will not cause the shaft to move off center when compressing the collet?

Saw some MPi Maxx adaptors at the LHS & thought I might give them a try. 2 styles were available, a set screw style & a collet style of fastening. So I got one ea, leading to lesson #1.

The set screw style looked promising, with a large diam. prop drive hub c/w knurled surface; I felt it would help to transfer torque (less slippage). Soon found out that while this adaptor has a bored hole depth of half an inch, installing it to have less than 30-thou clearance between the rotor & end of motor tube needed the adaptor to move towards the shaft end, & wud leave only about 5/16" of shaft engagement

In the end I did spin up the fan but only to >12amps on 6s, not daring for higher rpm, as I was concerned of a catastrophic blowing apart due insufficient shaft engagement depth; not to mention there might be insufficient cooling air into the motor.

So I've decided to order the collet style of adapator that Lee used, lesson #1

Oh, yeah! I did not use the collet style from MPi Maxx as I find its collet quite short to provide sufficient friction grip; plus it did not have a threaded hole for holding a spinner.

Phil
Last edited by PhilLin; Jul 20, 2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 09:37 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2015 , May 28-31
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,885 Posts
Which collet did Lee use? Do you have a part number?
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:16 PM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cox View Post
Which collet did Lee use? Do you have a part number?
Hi, Kevin!

Lee amended his post #1 of this thread to include a 6mm-8M adaptor shown in EJF site, which I understand to a Hyperion. Will see if the collet tapered area is longer than the one on the MPi version. The collet taper inherently moves the prop drive knurled face forward, hoping this can increase the clearance between the motor tube & rotor, to allow more motor cooling air.

Hope Lee can chime in to verify what I assume he recommended.

Phil

ps: I actually have some custom made collet adaptors made for the stock Haoye rotors. These have a larger than 8M shaft bearing area. But the threads were cut to clamp the stock rotor, thus the thread length need to be increased for the JHI rotor which has a hub thickness of std props.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:50 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
I've already bookmarked this thread.... this puts reasonably light, cost effective and decent thrust fans in the hands of folks who couldn't think about it a couple of years ago (like me)...I vote for keeping everything in one thread and linking different spots via summary page so one doesn't have to dig for hours to get to the good stuff.

jus My 2 cents
A summary page is a good idea. When I am just fiddeling around on the PC, I`ll try to be productive and add the post numbers of some important areas of the thread to the first post. Also I need to go back and change some of the data in the first post to reflect tests done with decent lipos. Some of my early tests were with worn out lipos, so I need to update that. Good idea, I`ll work on that. Also if there are any areas of the thread, or data that anyone would like to see in the summary post. let me know, and I`ll try to keep it current.

Oh, one trick I use when scrooling back trying to find old posts.....I click on one of the uploaded pics, then go back thru the thread using the pics, sometimes that`s a quick way to find a certian area of the thread. I`m going to do it right now to find my post on the collet.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:01 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,360 Posts
This is from post #940. This is what I am using now on my newest fan. JHH was either out of the 6mm adapter or has stopped stocking them all together, so I found this. My LHS stocks it (I`m lucky to have a great LHS very close) but it can be easily ordered from Great Planes, I think.

Since it has the 5/16" output, it can be shimmed with two layers of brass tubing that`s readily available at any hobby shop and most hardware stores too. One piece of 5/16" ID tubing and one piece the next size up which has an OD of 3/8" and you have the perfect shim.

There is no threaded hole in the shaft for a spinner retainer screw. I make my own. It`s pretty easy. I use a 1/16" bit to make a pilot hole and drill it about 1/2" deep. Then I use a drill bit and tap for a 6/32 thread. I make the hole a little deeper, then use a little WD-40 and tap the hole out for 6/32. Haven`t messed one up yet.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knife Liddle; Jul 21, 2011 at 12:13 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:15 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomp40c View Post
any of you guys know were I can buy 5 or 5.5mm bullet connectors?

Thanks

Tom

I get mine from HK, but almost all stores that cater to electric power will carry them.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:14 AM
United States, VA, Suffolk
Joined Nov 2007
1,082 Posts
Doesn't anyone make a proper set screw type adapter? I am not all that fond of using a collet style on a flat spotted shaft.
jhaywood is online now Find More Posts by jhaywood
Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:17 AM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,086 Posts
I have had set screws come lose even with loctite. I have never had a collet adapter come off. It is hard as heck to get them off even when you want to. Usually you have to shock them by tapping them with a hammer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaywood View Post
Doesn't anyone make a proper set screw type adapter? I am not all that fond of using a collet style on a flat spotted shaft.
Tumbler is online now Find More Posts by Tumbler