HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Fish99, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 07:17 PM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
This has been a venerable plane for various landing surfaces Grass, pavement, snow water.. Only thing left would be lunar, which would require more VTO I think LOL!
ViperZ is offline Find More Posts by ViperZ
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2011, 09:26 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
This has been a venerable plane for various landing surfaces Grass, pavement, snow water.. Only thing left would be lunar, which would require more VTO I think LOL!
No kidding! Too funny. Might have to try rocket assisted take offs next, or a drop kit for a parachuter that is slaved to the lights switch ... something neat like that. I really enjoy this plane.

Talk to you later,

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Apr 26, 2011, 07:06 PM
Charleston, SC
Joined Jul 2006
833 Posts
Fish,

I was very interested to see your float application for the Stinson. I've done the same with my Wildcat, which has been a challenge, but I am almost there.

I'm flying off of a salt water lake here in Charleston, SC, which has played havoc with my electronics. Thankfully, I have discovered a wonderful product called CorrisonX, which makes everything virtually impervious to water while not affecting performance.

I will be interested in seeing your videos. What videos I have are on youtube, reference "parkzone wildcat with floats"
Raehm is offline Find More Posts by Raehm
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: GWS Me-262 Build
Old Apr 27, 2011, 09:23 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raehm View Post
Fish,

I was very interested to see your float application for the Stinson. I've done the same with my Wildcat, which has been a challenge, but I am almost there.

I'm flying off of a salt water lake here in Charleston, SC, which has played havoc with my electronics. Thankfully, I have discovered a wonderful product called CorrisonX, which makes everything virtually impervious to water while not affecting performance.

I will be interested in seeing your videos. What videos I have are on youtube, reference "parkzone wildcat with floats"
I am on the road right now but will look those up when I return home. Thanks for the hint on the anti-corrosion product.

Marlin
Old May 20, 2011, 12:52 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,696 Posts
Float Video

Here is a link to the video of the first time flying off the Hobby Zone super cub floats with my Stinson. I am going to put a water rudder onto it just to make it easier to handle in the wind, but they certainly are able to handle the Stinson!

Sorry about the camera work, the HAT CAM was pointed a bit low, but at least you can see how it takes off, lands and handles in the air with these floats. My opinion is that the plane flys as good, maybe better, than with skis! It is an incredibly versatile plane, I can't wait to get a bunch more flights on it this summer off the water!

Marlin

Parkzone Stinson On Floats - Maiden (6 min 16 sec)
Old Jul 20, 2011, 05:45 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,696 Posts
Well, I joined a flying club that has nothing but grass strips so I had to put the wheels back on while I work out the rudder on the floats. Took the Stinson out for an evening / sundown flight. First off, works GREAT off the grass there, no problem at all.

I decided to go with a SCALE / SLOW and LOW flight and get some gracefull footage of this elegant bird over a setting sun and while the video does NOT do it justice I can tell you it was an AWESOME sight. What a beautifull plane. It's like watching flying poetry. VERY relaxing. Had to put some nice music to the video, what makes more sense than K.D. Lang singing the Leonard Cohen classic, Hallelujah!

Great time flying, great time editting the video, makes me want to get out even more with my Stinson. What a plane.

Hope you enjoy the vid as much as I did the flying and editting.

Marlin

Parkzone Stinson - Gracefull Sunset Flight (5 min 35 sec)
Old Aug 16, 2011, 11:20 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,696 Posts
Floats with Rudder mod ... and CRASH

Well, finally got around to putting the rudder mod on the floats for the Stinson. I was flying at a new club so was using my Stinson on wheels for a while but got the itch to get the floats going again so bought a rudder kit from the LHS. I was going to use a cable to the rudder to control it but it was not solid enough and was a poor solution so I ended up putting a servo in the float itself. All went well and it was TAXI TEST TIME!

Took it to a small little lake / pond near by and tested the rudder, it worked GREAT! TOO GREAT, as I got a little too confident and decided to FLY it. Battery was a bit too far back (had not balanced, not thinking to fly) and it was a one way out, one way in sort of place, wind behind it and coming straight at me to LAND! BAD decision. Managed to get it down, but it was a horrible landing. Ego got the better of me, wanting some "good video" so up it went again.

Well I got my wish, some excellent video of a classic TIP STALL on an aborted landing attempt, nosed straight into the water. Got VERY lucky, it flopped back on it's floats and managed to still have a working rudder and motor. Nursed it back and the damage was severly bent main landing struts, float attachment points ripped off the foam, broken cowl, cracked wing and the pilot had dislodged from his spot. VERY fixable.

Here's the video:

Parkzone Stinson On Floats with Rudder - Water Taxi Test and CRASH! (8 min 41 sec)
Old Aug 16, 2011, 11:23 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,696 Posts
Repaired Stinson ... IT"S ALIVE!

Little epoxy and re-bent the struts and all was well! Just need a new cowl, but no hobby shop in the city had one in stock so one is coming in for me. Should be about a week.

Till then I repaired the old cowl with some card board, red and black sharpies for color and some Thick CA to keep it in place. Franken Cowl looks ok from a distance and will do till the new one comes in.

I did up a quick video showing the fixed plane!

Marlin

Stinson FLoat - Crash Repair Video! (3 min 13 sec)
Old Aug 17, 2011, 07:05 AM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Looked great on the water! Sorry about the landing, however good to see it revived.
ViperZ is offline Find More Posts by ViperZ
Old Aug 17, 2011, 10:39 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,696 Posts
Thanks, hope to get out this weekend and get some video of it flying on a proper lake, without the CRASH! LOL

Marlin
Old Aug 21, 2011, 09:45 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,696 Posts
Test / Re-Maiden of the repaired Stinson

Got the repaired Stinson out for another test on the floats and re-maiden. All went well. I really like the Hobbyzone Super Cub floats now that I put the water rudder on it. I messed up when I put the servo in, and had to kind of cross hand the linkage, but it works great! Flight went well, and the landing was ... well ... acceptable. Took a short vid of the same.

Keep on flying all,

Marlin

(Best viewed FULL SCREEN in the HD modes)

Repaired Parkzone Stinson Maiden Flight (4 min 50 sec)
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:15 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,696 Posts
Night Flying with the Stinson

Well winter is almost here and it gets dark early here in Canada so I am doing more evening / night flying with my Stinson on wheels again. Decided to try out some video with the Contour GPS HD camera. The exposure settings were a bit dark but it still turned out ok. I will play with the settings and try to get some better video but for now here is the latest effort.

Keep on flying folks,

Marlin

Parkzone Stinson Night Flying - Uncut (7 min 39 sec)
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:32 PM
Joined Aug 2005
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish99 View Post

A fellow RC-Grouper, Jim Baker, was making some VERY nice Aluminium skis and has his last set for sale. For $40 he shipped them to me from the states, postage included, and also included the attachment hardware, including the landing gear legs! They are of VERY high quality.

Marlin
Hi there. I'm getting a Stinson myself and would like to get some skis for Winter flying. Does Jim Baker still sell the skis? Do you know how I can contact him? Thanks.
lamcam is offline Find More Posts by lamcam
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:59 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamcam View Post
Hi there. I'm getting a Stinson myself and would like to get some skis for Winter flying. Does Jim Baker still sell the skis? Do you know how I can contact him? Thanks.
Not sure if Jim is still making these but if he is I would advise picking up a pair. I love mine and his craftsmanship is supperb,. Look for an old post of his on the main forum, or go to youtube and che k out his channel, bakerrv, and send him a msg. I haven't seen him on rcgriuops for a bit but he puts up the occasional vid on youtube so that would be my first bet.

We just got snow so the skis are going on the stinson in the next few days and the first ski flights are are going to happen this weekend.

Good luck,

Marlin
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:41 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,696 Posts
Well, winter has returned and so the skis are on the Stinson again! First big dump came and I had to get out right after (despite the cold temperatures and 90 degree cross winds) and get in a flight!

I LOVE this plane on skis, too much fun! Can't wait to do more ski flying. (Though the temperature climbed to +9 C this weekend with some rain and most of the snow is now gone!)

Keep on flying!

Marlin

Stinson 2011 First Ski flight (3 min 16 sec)