SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 09, 2003, 08:03 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
I have an old Futaba FP Radio - Am I allowed to sell it?

I have an old Futaba FP 4-Channel Radio & Receiver that I would like to sell, it is approximately 30 Years old & is NOT Narrow Band.
I know that this radio is Not Gold Stickered & should not be used in an urban environment.
My question is, Can I sell it to someone who lives out in the middle of nowhere & wants a cheap radio. I guess my question is, is it legal to sell it? (I paid like $175 when it was new).

-Thanks-

Mike
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2003, 08:17 PM
wild in the park?
McDonough, GA
Joined Mar 2003
1,614 Posts
I'm no expert, but I think you can sell anything. I think you are 'grandfathered" in.
As long as it's not a weapon of mass destruction.
Seriously.

Bil
wherndon is offline Find More Posts by wherndon
Old Jul 09, 2003, 08:39 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
This Radio still works great & I just put in on Ebay but got a nasty Email from some guy saying it is Illegal to use. I don't want to use it, I want to sell it!
I remember when 1991 came, I had to buy a whole new Radio that was Narrow Band, I thought that kinda stunk since I paid so much for this radio. A dude told me to just throw my FP Radio in the garbage can, I said heck no I paid $175 bucks for it & it still works, you don't throw that kind of money in the garbage.
The way I figure it, if you live somehwere out in the middle of nowhere & you're property is farther than the range of the Transmitter, you got no problem, My main concern is, is it legal to sell it?

-Mike-
Old Jul 09, 2003, 08:46 PM
South Carolina
Joined May 2003
308 Posts
Like you said, you want to sell it not use it. The buyer has the responcibility to use it properly, not you once it's sold. Shoot, there are certainly people who would want it just as a collectors item!
Dogsbd is offline Find More Posts by Dogsbd
Old Jul 09, 2003, 08:48 PM
wild in the park?
McDonough, GA
Joined Mar 2003
1,614 Posts
Like I said, I don't really know know for sure, but I don't think it's illegal to use the old frequencies.
But it's definately not illegal to sell.
How the buyer decides to use it is up to him.
IMHO
Bil

PS, i'll check around with some folks that should know and post back later...
Old Jul 09, 2003, 08:54 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
I just revised my Ebay Listing to specifically say that it's NOT Narrow Band & it's NOT Gold Stickered so you will be using this at your own Risk.
I figure with that disclaimer, I'm covered?

-Thanks-

Mike
Old Jul 09, 2003, 08:57 PM
wild in the park?
McDonough, GA
Joined Mar 2003
1,614 Posts
A buddy of mine has an older Futaba.
I'll try and ask him tomorrow.
but IMHO you can sell pretty much anything. It's how it's used that counts.

Bil
Old Jul 09, 2003, 09:24 PM
Zen Flying Master
Sweetwater, TN
Joined Sep 2002
829 Posts
wherndon is completely right. You're just selling the thing. I can sell a camera to someone. But if they use it to take naked pictures of little kids, then it's their fault. Not mine. You put everything in there as a disclaimer, therefore as far as you know, the person is just buying it as a collectors item. Don't worry what they do with it after it leaves your hands.
AUBrian is offline Find More Posts by AUBrian
Old Jul 09, 2003, 09:28 PM
The One....
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2002
5,813 Posts
Sure you can sell it
genovia is offline Find More Posts by genovia
Old Jul 09, 2003, 10:30 PM
Wilsonville, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2000
792 Posts
I sold a pre '91 radio. I made sure to post the disclaimer and a guy outside of the US purchased it. He said it was still legal in his country.
Keith Watson is offline Find More Posts by Keith Watson