HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2001, 11:01 AM
p471701
n/a Posts
how do you make Krylon glossy

what are some of the tricks to get a nice glossy finish with kylon? do you color sand it and buff it?............gregg
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2001, 11:20 AM
Spittin' Sparx forever...
West Vancouver, BC
Joined Mar 2000
482 Posts
Hi Greg,

It is possible to get a real deep shine with Krylon two ways. Depending on the planes type of construction it may be possible to sand it out with a very fine abrasive cloth (1000 grit and up) and polish it with "cut polish" available from an automotive supply house that deals with finishing supplies (I use Meguiars as it seems to do a real nice job). You can buff that up to a real nice shine but it is labour intensive (big time).

The other way is a time saver, but will add weight to your airframe. After you finish with your Krylon color coat, allow it to dry and then rub out with fine abrasive cloth. Tack cloth it to remove any dust and then spray a clearcoat over it (Make sure the two finishes are compatible prior to spraying the plane Eh!). The clear coat can then be buffed out after it dries. This will give you a really deep looking shine. Good luck...

DougB
DougB is offline Find More Posts by DougB
Old Oct 06, 2001, 11:41 AM
North Aurora, IL
Joined Mar 2000
400 Posts
Glossy Krylon......

I do the same as DougB, as I sand after the last coat and spray on 2 or 3 coats of clear coat. Looks great!
jimmy6819 is offline Find More Posts by jimmy6819
Old Oct 06, 2001, 11:48 AM
p471701
n/a Posts
thanks guys!..............gregg
Old Oct 06, 2001, 12:22 PM
Joined Sep 2001
22 Posts
How much does paint add in weight, compared to covering? Just wondering, because I ordered some plans last night from MAN for a plane called the Swoose (a nitro seaplane, looks pretty cool), and pretty much the entire thing is sheeted, so it would make a good plane for fiberglass and paint

Brian Short is offline Find More Posts by Brian Short
Old Oct 06, 2001, 06:55 PM
Spittin' Sparx forever...
West Vancouver, BC
Joined Mar 2000
482 Posts
If you're really good at surface prep prior to paint, just fog a mist coat of color on (just enough to color the item evenly). Scuff or rub down and spray on the gloss clear coat. As long as you keep the weight/coats of paint down, you'll find it not much heavier than film over either glass or tissue and dope. Miniwax Acrylic is also a good choice with glass and the nice thing is it doesn't reject to many finishes as it is water based so thinners don't tend to bother it...
DougB
DougB is offline Find More Posts by DougB
Old Oct 06, 2001, 07:22 PM
p471701
n/a Posts
doug: i've got the paint on it. looks pretty good,nice even finish.
when it dries a have some 1500# paper to water sand it.
i picked up some kylon clear to use, but i'm open to put anything on it to get the best finish i can. out of a can.should i go with the minwax instead of the clear i have?. btw all surfaces are glass...........gregg