HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Hobby Lobby's Kyosho aiRium Cessna 182 RTF

It has been a long time since I flew Kyosho, but I remember back in the 80s that this was one of my favorite companies. With great flyers and so many innovative models it was impossible to fly them all!

Splash

Introduction

Wingspan:27.6" / 700mm
Wing Area:105.5 sq. in. / 6.66
Weight:9 oz. / 259g
Length:x22.24" / 565mm
Wing Loading:12.52 oz/sq. ft. / 389 g/sq. dm.
Servos:KS-21 5g
Transmitter:KT-1 4-channel 2.4 GHZ with Dual Rate Switch
Receiver:6 channel PERFEX 2.4 GHz
Battery:450 - 750 mAh 7.4 V LiPo
Motor:AF 400 BLS B/07/15 Brushless
ESC:10 amp programmable
Manufacturer:Kyosho Corporation
Available From:Hobby Lobby
MSRP:$99 PIP / $129 ARF with Tx and Rx

Since 1963, Kyosho’s first year of production, the company has continuously provided this hobby with R/C cars, and later, planes, helicopters, boats and robots. They have been innovators in molding, die-casting and manufacturing for nearly 50 years. I have personally known and flown or raced their products for about thirty of those years.

Check out the Kyosho.com website to see the scope of their product line.

I am excited to see Hobby Lobby is now distributing this lineup. It's the coupling of a great company, with a great product.

The aiRium Cessna 182 Skylane is a three channel high-wing airplane with elevator, rudder and throttle control in 1:14 scale. The wing is made of Styrene and the fuselage is foam. The transmitter provided has a dual rate switch moving from 100% to 70% with a quick flip of the switch. The nose wheel is steerable and both the nose wheel and the rudder come channeled to channel 1 or the aileron channel. The Skylane is available in red and blue and comes in a plug and play version allowing you to use your own electronics.

Kit Contents

This is a tidy little package. It comes with a carry handle ready to take to your local park or flying field. Components are nestled into foam compartments. With the exception of removing the wing struts, the Cessna 182 Skylane, easy packs up for transport. This is a 2.4 GHz system fully ready to fly with everything you need in one box.

Kit includes:

• Fully painted and decaled fuselage, wing and tail
  • Wheels with foam wheel pants
  • Extra prop - 7x6
  • Screw driver, wrench and hook for installing the wing
  • Wing struts
  • Foam nose cone
  • 2.4 GHz 4-channel transmitter (Kyosho) and 6-chanel receiver (KR-1 PERFEX DSSS)
  • Elevator and Rudder Servos
  • 10-amp programmable ESC

Kit Requires:

• 7.4v 400-800 mAh LiPo (60x34x20mm) - HL EKL181 800 mAh
  • 8-AA batteries

The packaging is good with bubble wrap here and there to ensure you get the product in one piece.

Assembly

This is, for all practical purposes, an RTF. Other than adding the wing, struts and landing gear, the work is done for you. I would say that it takes maybe an hour to get up and ready to fly. The control horns are pre-installed, too. The instruction manual is written in five languages and is as detailed as one can get. Pictures, schematics and text are all provided.

Wing

The wing is a very simple attachment idea that avoids the use of wing bolts and exterior rubber bands. Inside the fuselage is a hook. A small O-ring is provided that attaches to the underside attachment point on the wing. Using a small bent wire tool (provided), you reach up through the bottom of the fuselage and hook the O-ring inside the fuselage. A forward mounting pin centers the wing and once the O-ring is attached the wing settles into the saddle very well.

Don't let the pictures on the website fool you; they show the rubber bands crossing over the wing. This version uses the unexposed O-ring attachment that is very solid.

Tail

The tail is completely installed, but I would recommend taking the linkages off and exercising the hinges. This will make the servos work easier and give you more movement when you want to switch to a high rate.

Radio Installation

Everything is installed using a 2.4 GHz system, and mine came bound. The transmitter uses slider trims and includes a dual rate switch on the front. The sticks felt fine, and because the system cam bound, I had no problem using the transmitter. I never lost the bind, and the ESC always armed as it should. The right aileron stick is set-up to control flight direction, but for some this may require you to move this to channel 3 using the rudder stick on the left. Configure as best suits your needs, but I would say for a beginner pilot I would definitely make the switch to channel 3. As an experienced pilot, you have to be careful , to avoid over controlling the rudder. While those of us that fly a lot know we can throw in full aileron with little chance of a stall, generally speaking to do the same with the rudder is s recipe for a stall-spin.

KT-21 Transmitter

The proprietary KT-21 transmitter has a few limitations. \Kyosho indicates no more than 15 planes flying in the vicinity on 2.4 GHz, and the range is 150M over land and 200M in the air. As with most 2.4 GHz transmitters they recommend the antennae be angled 90 degrees.

Binding uses a bind plug. Simply install the bind plug into the identified channel, power the Rx through your ESC and then turn on the Tx while pressing the bind button on the Tx. The green light will indicate the bind is successful.

Completion

Final preparation for flight requires the installation of the landing gear and wing struts. Both the wing struts and the main gear have fairing silhouettes. The main gear fairing snaps in place.

Elevator

• 6mm up and down
  • Rudder
  • 7mm right and left

!Flying

The Cessna 182 has plenty of power. The AF 400 BLS B/07/15 brushless motor will get you into the air and move you around with ease. The plane is small, so assuming scale-like performance would be an odd statement. It does fly smoothly and control is exceptional. The color scheme is beautiful right down to the wheel pants. The range of the 2.4 GHz radio system far exceeds your ability to see the little Cessna.

Basics

The Cessna is advertised as a beginner to intermediate flight capable aircraft. In the air with normal control inputs the Cessna 182 Skylane performs like a pussy cat. At half throttle it flies level and will turn easily, loop (more throttle) and can even roll. So once off the ground, with gentle inputs, the plane flies as one would expect.

But, if you slow down a bit and forgot you are turning with your rudder the plane will snap over very quickly. I got low and slow and flying as if I was only controlling the ailerons and I snapped it right over. I was in tall grass so I had no damage, but this is where we have to determine how we will fly the plane.

As a beginner setup the plane let the left stick fly the rudder. This is good practice and with some help you will soon learn to fly the pattern and then some. When proficient, switch to the aileron channel. For those of you flying with some skills just use caution if you have the rudder setup on channel 1. The rudder is just not a good tool for getting yourself out of trouble.

I found several batteries that fit into the compartment ranging from 450 to 750 mAh. The flight times were excellent with ten minutes of flight coming pretty easy. Throttle management is more scalelike as you will not want to just firewall it all the time. Enjoy the pretty plane as it passes by.

Taking Off and Landing

The Cessna really needs a smooth surface to operate both landing and takeoffs. Hand launching is easy, but landing requires something smooth. If you do mostly hand launch, remove the main gear and the nose gear.

The takeoff roll is not that easy to control, and the torque moves the plane right, because it is so light. One might assume the torque would cause it to turn left. Such a light plane with pretty quick controls is hard to keep straight. If you fly from a parking lot, no problem, but you will have a little learning curve on the runway. Just be gentle on the throttle and rudder inputs.

The landings are predictable and the glide slope to the runway is really very good. Keep the nose up and land on the mains and very gently let the nose down. This is very difficult to do in a small plane, especially for a beginner, and still not so easy for an intermediate pilot. I had problems on my runway with the plane nosing over as I landed. I tried over and over and still ended up with the same results. I think on a smooth surface this is not as much of a problem. Overall, I thought the best flying was with a hand launch and with the wheels removed.

Aerobatics/Special Flight Performance

I thought the plane was smooth with power. It will loop and roll and can fly inverted. The power curve is excellent. This is not really intended to be an aerobatic plane.

Is This For a Beginner?

If you are a beginner, hand launch and keep some power on and you will enjoy the plane’s flight characteristics. If you have some experience you too will like the flying the little plane and learning the takeoffs and landings. The dual rates are fun to work with and give you some more aerobatic movement.

Flight Video/Photo Gallery

Downloads

Conclusion

Kyosho has produced a great little Cessna 182 Skylane. I would say most of you will like flying the plane and will respect what it is capable of doing both on the positive and negative sides of the flight envelope. I think the looks are outstanding, but the functionality requires a mating to the correct runway surface. Frankly, I was surprised I was not able to control the noseover’s on my limestone runway. I was also surprised I could induce a snap roll so quickly. I was frustrated with myself, but have to wonder if I fly pretty good how will others respond in the same situation. One just has to be aware.

As a final suggestion, one can also reduce the throw of the rudder through the linkages. You really do not need much to fly the Cessna so set the throw as low as you think you can go as you always have the dual rate switch to increase the movement when you need it.

The Good:

• Packaging, components and decals
  • Smooth in flight
  • Dual rate switch
  • All Parts available
  • Available in Red and Blue
  • Unexposed wing attachment

The Not-So-Good:

• Ground instability and control
  • Props are brittle
Last edited by Angela H; Dec 15, 2010 at 03:05 AM..

Discussion

Old Dec 15, 2010, 07:55 PM
Warbird crazy!
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Sep 2004
3,728 Posts
Nice review Dave.

Leave it to Kyosho to pack so much detail in such a small package.
Looks great and certainly no lack of power.

Interesting wing mounting, inventive.

Looking forward to the new twin aiRium.

John
new2rc is offline Find More Posts by new2rc
Old Dec 18, 2010, 07:51 PM
I enjoy the voices
Perth, Australia
Joined Apr 2007
481 Posts
Great review.

Thanks very much for posting the stats on the plane in both imperial and metric - saves us in the rest of the world having to convert all the time!
Lead Wings is offline Find More Posts by Lead Wings
Old Dec 29, 2010, 09:19 AM
Micro Flyer "Q"
United States, MD, Silver Spring
Joined Sep 2003
1,356 Posts
Thank you for a nice and honest review of a very cute little model. The 182 has always been a favorite of mine, and one in this size is "almost" irresistible... cool:

In checking pics 15. 25. and 27 show that the wing retainer access opening to be free of dings. It appears that installing the wing hold down O ring might be a bit more of a chore to attach to the fuselage's hook than it should be. The pix I have taken from the many you have posted on this review and attached below shows damage to the bottom fuselage opening that might have been caused by the O ring installation tool.

A model this size would, in all likelihood, nose over in surfaces that are less than extremely smooth. It also appears from the photos provided on its box, that the entire model when viewed from the side, is not parallel to whatever surface it may be placed on. Its nose is considerably lower than the tail, perhaps this would add to the tendency for it to nose over in less than ideal surfaces. Is the nose gear height adjustable, or is it of fixed height?

Been thinking about it since I first saw it @ H/L's website; given your honesty regarding its responsiveness to commands, I wish it was available as an RXR model as well. Too bad it is not.
qban_flyer is offline Find More Posts by qban_flyer
Old Jan 01, 2011, 05:40 AM
Dr. Dave
USA
Joined Nov 2005
1,316 Posts
Good question. The hook goes in to grab the o-ring. The o-ring sort of snaps into the wing keeper so it holds it in place until the hook can reach in to grab it. I did not experience any problems making the hookup, so the picture is not showing damage from that process. The nose overs are a combination of the very small wheel exposure under the wheel pant which I think is pretty tight and the fact the plane is very, very light. That small a plane is hard to grease in. On a smooth surface it is fine. But I mean smooth. There is some adjustment of the nose strut, but not much.

I thought they did have a receiver ready version.
78dave is offline Find More Posts by 78dave
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2011, 08:32 AM
Micro Flyer "Q"
Joined Sep 2003
1,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78dave View Post
Good question. The hook goes in to grab the o-ring. The o-ring sort of snaps into the wing keeper so it holds it in place until the hook can reach in to grab it. I did not experience any problems making the hookup, so the picture is not showing damage from that process. The nose overs are a combination of the very small wheel exposure under the wheel pant which I think is pretty tight and the fact the plane is very, very light. That small a plane is hard to grease in. On a smooth surface it is fine. But I mean smooth. There is some adjustment of the nose strut, but not much.

I thought they did have a receiver ready version.
You are correct regarding the prices. They offer a PIP version for $99.

I should have been more specific regarding the damage done by the O ring installation tool. Perhaps the pixs below, taken from the review would make my point a bit clearer. The last one shows considerable amount of "dinging" that is not shown on any of the prior to wing installation photos, which I believe was caused by the O ring installation tool when assembling the plane before flight.

I also wonder how is the hook supported within the fuselage. I'd be afraid that in time it may come loose after installing and removing the wing a given amount of time, or that under tension from the O ring pulling the wing against the fuselage it may come off its mooring in flight.
Old Jan 02, 2011, 06:17 AM
Dr. Dave
USA
Joined Nov 2005
1,316 Posts
All I can think of is this was taken after some flying. Just don not remember any difficult in putting the o-ring inside the fuselage. The interior hook is molded in. It could come loose I guess, but inspections would alleviate your concerns.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2011, 07:40 AM
Micro Flyer "Q"
Joined Sep 2003
1,356 Posts
Thanks for the prompt reply Dave. I had assumed the fuselage's O ring retainer was something glued and or screwed into the foam.

I think I may be ordering the PNP version since I have extra AR6110 receivers and have no need for an extra radio. Hopefully the 6110 will fit in the receiver opening.

Bert
Old Jan 02, 2011, 12:54 PM
United States, LA, Bossier City
Joined Jul 2003
338 Posts
I think the O-Ring for the wing is the same as the P-40 setup-----limited access but it comes with a neat tool to install it...pretty easy in my opinion. Ive had the P-40 for over a year now with no issues....still looks and flys like new. I plan on ordering this cessna today! Looks like a great plane.
lotech is offline Find More Posts by lotech
Old Jan 02, 2011, 01:12 PM
Micro Flyer "Q"
Joined Sep 2003
1,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotech View Post
I think the O-Ring for the wing is the same as the P-40 setup-----limited access but it comes with a neat tool to install it...pretty easy in my opinion. Ive had the P-40 for over a year now with no issues....still looks and flys like new. I plan on ordering this cessna today! Looks like a great plane.
Glad to hear that, and yes, its looks are something to behold, especially in something that size.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 11:19 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,743 Posts
" I had problems on my runway with the plane nosing over as I landed. I tried over and over and still ended up with the same results. I think on a smooth surface this is not as much of a problem. Overall, I thought the best flying was with a hand launch and with the wheels removed."

You must have meant to say that the wheel pants should be removed, and leave the wheels on.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Jan 04, 2011, 11:52 AM
Micro Flyer "Q"
Joined Sep 2003
1,356 Posts
I have no clue as to what's happening at Hobby Lobby. I have tried to get this model, and in all its incarnations, be it RTF or PNP the page lists it as discontinued. Even the link provided in this review takes me to the same "discontinued model".

Product#: KYO932RSB
Was: $269.99
Price:$129.99

Product#: KYO932RBR
Was: $206.99
Price:$99.99

They also show other "similar" models that use a wire type landing gear, but are listed as discontinued as well. All show this plane with what appears to be a 72MHz transmitter.

I did a search using the description given here: "Kyosho aiRium Cessna 182 RTF" (http://search2.hobby-lobby.com/psear...ode=any&page=1) and come with 16 pages of everything and the discontinued planes listed above, all of them listed as DISCONTINUED.

I have just about given up on Hobby Lobby a few months back. I have a notion I will not bother with them anymore since they are not the company they once were. Their web page is nightmarish to navigate since they decided to "improve it" a couple of years back. Even friends of mine who live in their immediate vicinity (within a 30 minute drive of their shop) tell me the same thing.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 05:26 AM
Dr. Dave
USA
Joined Nov 2005
1,316 Posts
I have an email into HL to sort this out. Hope Jason joins the discussion with an explanation.

AND YES, KEEP THOSE WHEELS ON!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2011, 05:24 PM
RCG Staff Member
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2003
5,015 Posts
Hey guys,
Wanted to explain a little bit about what's going on here. We went with the Kyosho planes because we were able to offer them at price points that have never been available before. These simply didn't sell well enough to continue stocking. Quite frankly, we need the warehouse space for products that people are going to purchase. So we move these out a great discount and make room for other stuff. Any Kyosho planes that sell at a reasonable rate, we will continue to offer and support.

Side note about a previous comment. We're real people here guys trying to run a business and support our customers as best we can. I think our website is awesome right now. If you haven't looked at it in the last few months, it's completely different than the 1st time we "improved" it. Yes that was a hard transition and yes the navigation was terrible, but we had to move forward with technology that benefits everyone. We're still tweaking it and always will be, but the navigation right now is awesome. It's so easy to find what your looking for. We're improving, but at the same time, we haven't changed our commitment to our customers and our service. We want to earn your business and I feel we're in a good place to do that right now. ok, off of soap box I go....

Jason
Jason Cole is offline Find More Posts by Jason Cole
Administrator
Old Jan 29, 2011, 01:36 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1 Posts
Looking forward to the new twin aiRium.

is there actually a twin airium coming out and if there is what will it be ?
lewys is offline Find More Posts by lewys