HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Sandancer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 10:33 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,726 Posts
Build Log
F4U Corsair: Un-Boxing & Evaluation

The New FMS F4U Corsair!

I just received this BIG Beautiful Plane today, and I thought I would give my preliminary evaluation of it!

First off I will say that FMS has done their homework on this one. They seem to have addressed a few issues in some areas, and still lack in others.

The lackies:
--They are persistent with "Goofie" although they did cut him in half! That's okay, he was easier to remove then he was in the JUG, so he's already gotten his papers and was sent packing!
--The funkie tail wheel is still there, and like the JUG, there is no foam plug for easy removal like the Mustang has. But from what I learned with the JUG, I think I can work around it?
--Because I ordered the airframe from RC Castle, it came with all the servos. I haven't checked them yet?
--The elevator is once again the twin push-rod linkage.
--I couldn't tell at this point if it's the paint, or the rudder hinge is already showing signs of foam dilapidation? Easily fixed with hinges.
--The cockpit area is going to be a bit cramped for electronics, and if the servo tray has to be removed the fuse will have to be split. There is only one opening in the engine compartment for ventilation, and it runs thru the battery compartment (again, no exit to vent in the rear).
--IMO, I don't think the rake mod is going to work on this bird, as it will screw the alignment up in the wheel wells. On that note, I'm not sure the VQ struts are going to work either? To get them to fit the strut legs of these 90dg E-Tracts about 1 1/2" will have to be cut from the VQ leg, and that doesn't leave much room for a spring.

Okay, The Kewlies:
--FMS did a better job of aligning the motor with the center line, although someone didn't do a very good job of gluing the firewall in the bulkhead of mine! OBTW, the same steel motor mount.
--There appears to be a flat spar running from the root to about 2/3 of the wing? (I'm not cutting anything to find out!) But the wings do feel good and strong, and I couldn't detect any flex until well past a line even with the aileron servo.
--I am thinking that if there is an issue with the lack of space in the cockpit for electronics, there is a nice square box between the wings and the fuse that would make a good compartment?
--The Wasp replica looks great! Much better then that "fence" they put in the JUG! A little paint detailing and it should really look kewl. I just hope theirs enough of it left when I clearance it for the 580?
--The cowling is easy to remove and is going to make motor mods much easier. Although I'm not sure how I am going to attach it to the fuse without using glue?
--The elevator/vert. stab assemblies mount with screws. The vert. stab has a foam plug that slips in the fuse and attaches with a screw at the rear.
--This is the BIG KEWLIE! The wings can be easily modified to a 1-piece wing! The roots of each wing can be glued together, Add a piece of square ply in that box I previously mentioned to help joint the wings together. Install a couple of CF rods for stability and you have a 1-piece wing easily removed by the 2 plastic supports anchors that secure the wings to the fuse with 4 screws fore and aft.
--The Landing Gear! The struts and doors work off a sequencer much like the MicroGear I put in the Mustang. It has 2 lead outs to 2 supplied Y-connectors which in turn plug into each wing assembly, 1 for the E-Tract and 1 for the servo running the bay doors. There is only 1 lead in for Ch. 5 on the RX. The doors run off linkage from a servo hidden under the root side of the E-Tract unit. The E-Tract unit itself is the same PZ 15091 E-Tract FMS has already been installing. The only difference is the flange mount, it is what actually makes the strut rotate 90dg. If the E-Tract should become disabled, it's just a matter of removing the flange and replacing the base unit with another one. It's the same E-Tract assembly used on the P-40.

As far as the Corsair Flaps, you gotta have 'em, they look to kewl! I'm just not sure at this point how I am going to do them?

After my preliminary run-thru on the FMS F4U, I am very impressed! I think next to the Mustang, these 2 are going to be my favorites! I can see why this bird costs a little more now, I spent $50.00 for the MicroGear sequencer alone. Add to that the 6 servos, the 2 E-Tracts and the Bay door assembly I got from this RC Castle version, I think I got my monies worth!

IMO, I would not place an order for one of these in an airframe version if it doesn't come with the the complete LG assembly!

UP-DATE 10/18/2010: I have come up with an idea on how to modify the wings to a 1-Piece configuration.
I also have some close-up pics of the vertical stabilizer. Any ideas on how to make the linkage internal will be welcome!

I managed to get a short vid of the LG! Enjoy!

FMS F4U Corsair Sequenced Landing Gear (2 min 29 sec)
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Sandancer; Aug 23, 2012 at 08:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2010, 06:53 AM
Bond, Hotglue Bond
Joined Apr 2006
4,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandancer View Post
The New FMS F4U Corsair!

I just received this BIG Beautiful Plane today, and I thought I would give my preliminary evaluation of it!

IMO, I would not place an order for one of these in an airframe version if it doesn't come with the the complete LG assembly!

I managed to get a short vid of the LG! Enjoy!

Nice plane . I have the mini, now I am planning for the mamma.

As for the rudder linkage, may be a wire, similar to the elevator halves joiner going down and linked internally? It´s really a sore thumb.
Tartago is offline Find More Posts by Tartago
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2010, 10:04 AM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartago View Post
Nice plane . I have the mini, now I am planning for the mamma.

As for the rudder linkage, may be a wire, similar to the elevator halves joiner going down and linked internally? It´s really a sore thumb.

I didn't really dig into the rudder the other day, but that may be an option?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2010, 03:42 AM
Österreich, Oberösterreich, Laakirchen
Joined Jan 2001
3,338 Posts
Hello Sandancer,

many thx for your infos regarding the FMS F4U. I have ordered it at ready2fly but it isn't still in stock . After watching your pictures I can't await this beauty. (hope I get it befor christmas)

Rudi
Rudi is online now Find More Posts by Rudi
Old Oct 19, 2010, 08:09 AM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudi View Post
Hello Sandancer,

many thx for your infos regarding the FMS F4U. I have ordered it at ready2fly but it isn't still in stock . After watching your pictures I can't await this beauty. (hope I get it befor christmas)

Rudi
Rudi,

If it's any consolation, as of today 10/19/2010, all of the sources available here in the USA have dried up too! The first batch of F4U's went as fast as I thought they would.

Gary
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2010, 12:33 AM
Joined Jan 2001
3,338 Posts
Quote:
Rudi,

If it's any consolation, as of today 10/19/2010, all of the sources available here in the USA have dried up too! The first batch of F4U's went as fast as I thought they would.

Gary
Hello Gary,

no wonder. I think all warbird enthusiasts like us would have a F4U with retracts in a size of the FSM one. I am very jealous about you. Good luck with your F4U. Wish you ever a touch of air below your wings.

Rudi
Old Oct 20, 2010, 09:06 AM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudi View Post
Hello Gary,

no wonder. I think all warbird enthusiasts like us would have a F4U with retracts in a size of the FSM one. I am very jealous about you. Good luck with your F4U. Wish you ever a touch of air below your wings.

Rudi
Hang in there, I'm sure the second batch has to be on it's way? I have to believe FMS had the foresight to know this plane is going to be as popular as the Mustang?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:41 AM
Joined Jan 2001
3,338 Posts
Quote:
Hang in there, I'm sure the second batch has to be on it's way? I have to believe FMS had the foresight to know this plane is going to be as popular as the Mustang?
No Problem to hang in. I have a the stupid situation that my buget is full but the dealer could not del.

Rudi
Old Oct 23, 2010, 11:25 AM
Suisse, GE, Genčve
Joined Mar 2005
14 Posts
Flight review with video ? Thanks
f000r is offline Find More Posts by f000r
Old Oct 23, 2010, 10:53 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2007
3,564 Posts
I've had a few Corsairs.... fiberglass, balsa... but this one has my eye. The gear doors look great and that spinner is unbelievable!

Sign vinyl or Econkote over this bad boy and people won't even know it's foam!
chalmrast is offline Find More Posts by chalmrast