HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by troynh, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 01, 2010, 05:10 PM
No thrust...It'll bust...
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,316 Posts
Another one is born... I was able to scavenge a phoenix connector from an old Bogen paging board I had laying around. I'm using it for the + - wires. It's all programmed, tested and ready for install on my Pulso T.

-Tim
troynh is offline Find More Posts by troynh
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2010, 05:57 PM
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,316 Posts
Maiden of the Pulso T-Wii...

-Tim

Maiden flight of the Pulso T-Wii (2 min 21 sec)
Old Nov 06, 2010, 09:28 AM
Stevenage, Hertfordshire
Joined Dec 2007
90 Posts
New Wii MP+ follower

oops just noticed I hadn't subscribed to this valuable thread ;-)
I'm going with the Wii MP+ (later NK)
I've stripped down the MP+ all headers de-soldered & removed, this board is tiny. (de-soldering the plastic header plug is not for the faint hearted, damage to PTH holes is possible if not careful)
It's temporarily hooked into Arduino all programmed up and works with the MultiWii GUI setup proggie.
Initially I'm gonna test it on my Gaui 330X, as I don't like the tri-axis gyro on that, iffy at best. If it can make the 330X fly properly, I'll then go with a Tri setup.
I could probably get away with a smaller setup, as the AP/FPV setup I'm going with weighs Very little. The camera, 5.8GHz 25mW Transmitter, single 3.7V 1000mA lipo and custom psu boost converter only weighs 150gms, the separate power source for the cam & downlink is more reliable, plus will run for 1.5 hours, just in case it gets lost, using a directional patch antenna I should still find it ;-)
The camera is an ultra-low light military type (0.00004 lux) and will be used for night time surveillance.

Steve
HeliEye is offline Find More Posts by HeliEye
Old Nov 06, 2010, 11:30 AM
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,316 Posts
Hi Steve,

Well done! I hear ya on desoldering the plastic header. It's my least favorite part.
Keep us posted.

-Tim
Old Nov 06, 2010, 12:52 PM
Stevenage, Hertfordshire
Joined Dec 2007
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by troynh View Post
Hi Steve,

Well done! I hear ya on desoldering the plastic header. It's my least favorite part.
Keep us posted.

-Tim
Hi Tim.. Yup will keep you all posted.
I'm lucky to have a big Metcal soldering station (RF soldering)
My de-soldering trick is to use silver-plated screen from RF cable, then spray the screen with Flux. I use an 8mm wide chisel soldering tip, lay screen over solder joints (while flux is wet) and wick it all up, leaves holes clean. (Don't use solder-wick it's crap compared to the above method)

I just need to cad-up a small in-house pcb for the servo pins to esc's etc to keep it tidy.
I purchased a NK, only to find it was a naff clone with aweful chinese soldering so will not use that, will get a genuine Nintendo one.
I'll look at hacking off the joystick part of the pcb to keep it small.

I notice most are using Long arms for Tri's, I hope to get these down to no more than 10" (like Bob's tiny Wii Tri) size is important for my application
I'm hoping the Wii stabilisation system will cope with short arms, the NK added should help compensate?

Steve
Old Nov 06, 2010, 04:00 PM
manuLRK
Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
1,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliEye View Post
Hi Tim.. Yup will keep you all posted.
I'm lucky to have a big Metcal soldering station (RF soldering)
My de-soldering trick is to use silver-plated screen from RF cable, then spray the screen with Flux. I use an 8mm wide chisel soldering tip, lay screen over solder joints (while flux is wet) and wick it all up, leaves holes clean. (Don't use solder-wick it's crap compared to the above method)

Steve
Hi, can you have a picture of this "silver-plated screen from RF cable"?

Thanks,
manuLRK
alll is offline Find More Posts by alll
Old Nov 06, 2010, 06:47 PM
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,316 Posts
Shot this today...

A local estate here in New Hampshire (4 min 18 sec)
Old Nov 06, 2010, 07:35 PM
United States, AL, Foley
Joined Nov 2005
530 Posts
That's a GREAT video Tim! You are really dialed in. Whatcha gonna do if the T goes down inside the fence with the bull?

I just got my ardu and WM+ wired and installed on my old Tri. Plugged one of my power wires in backwards to the Ardu and smoked it (actually had a tiny flame!) It still seems to work according to the software. It is not arming the ESCs (the randomly beep) and the tail servo has the jitters. I have a lot to learn about the software and settings.
CoastalTom is offline Find More Posts by CoastalTom
Old Nov 06, 2010, 07:41 PM
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,316 Posts
Lol... Those things are big teddy bears.

Wow - Flames! Actually, truth be told, I smoked my yaw servo the first time by not rechecking ALL of my connections. I had the +- reversed. POOF! It gets easier.
Old Nov 06, 2010, 07:42 PM
Went to mow a meadow
Joined Feb 2007
1,417 Posts
Thats a really great video Tim, whats a house like that cost over there?

Thanks
Frank
frank48 is offline Find More Posts by frank48
Old Nov 06, 2010, 07:47 PM
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,316 Posts
It's around a 300 acre estate. Everything you see in the video is included + some. His & her houses, a fitness center, caretakers home, chef apartment, antique car garage, art studio in the woods, etc, etc... Many, many millions. One of my best friends is the caretaker there.
Old Nov 06, 2010, 07:56 PM
Went to mow a meadow
Joined Feb 2007
1,417 Posts
Guess that lets me out then

Somebody told me property was cheap out there...

Cheers
Frank
frank48 is offline Find More Posts by frank48
Old Nov 07, 2010, 04:04 AM
Stevenage, Hertfordshire
Joined Dec 2007
90 Posts
Nice video and flight Tim, looks nicely dialed-in.

Steve
Old Nov 07, 2010, 04:13 AM
Stevenage, Hertfordshire
Joined Dec 2007
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alll View Post
Hi, can you have a picture of this "silver-plated screen from RF cable"?

Thanks,
manuLRK
Hi alll.. Sure here ya go.. The cable type is PTFE type, silver plated centre wire and silver plated screen, with FEP outer. The screen is extracted, then flattened, sprayed with flux, as in pic, then used straight away.
it can still be used when dry afterwards, but for tricky jobs I use it wet, seems to suck up solder like a vacuum cleaner

Cheers

Steve
Old Nov 13, 2010, 08:33 PM
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,316 Posts
T-Wii 11-13-10 (2 min 22 sec)