HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by troynh, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 07:57 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Hey Guys

here is video from onboard the Wii micro tri. I have the go pro at the CG in its case, upside down under the tri. No landing gear, so a hand launch and catch are required. The gains are a little too high, but its not bad! Remember, the arms are only 8" I suspect could eliminate the slight rocking with some quick adjustments. This tri will fit, fully assembled, in one of those "aluminum" cases that home depot, and harbor freight sell. may not even add LG.

Micro Tri on board (6 min 38 sec)
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2010, 08:30 PM
No thrust...It'll bust...
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,374 Posts
Great landing at the end! Is that on your foam mount or rubber tubes? Also, were your gains at 6?

Finished wiring the Arduino and figured out how I'm mounting the boards.

-Tim
troynh is offline Find More Posts by troynh
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Ghetto Tank
Old Oct 21, 2010, 01:41 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
Looking really good, Tim..

I think I am going to try this next.. I flew mine some more today and busted it up again.. Going to build a new airframe.. I've got some settings wrong or the DT700's are not so good for tricopteren..

I'm not sure what my problem is, I'm starting to think I've got a bad gyro as I replaced my ESC and the left motor is still dieing on me at really bad moments..
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Oct 21, 2010, 08:24 AM
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,374 Posts
Are you flying 2.4 or 72mhz?
Never mind... I watched your crash video and see that it's 2.4.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by troynh; Oct 21, 2010 at 08:30 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 09:02 AM
YOW
Joined Sep 2004
272 Posts
What are the little connectors in Post#15? Looking forward to seeing the test flight.
VictorYOW is offline Find More Posts by VictorYOW
Old Oct 21, 2010, 09:18 AM
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,374 Posts
They're servo connector posts. (Male & Female)

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...=V657932&img=l

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...21&pid=V758848

Wire: http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...21&pid=T434208
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2010, 09:22 AM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram View Post
Looking really good, Tim..

I think I am going to try this next.. I flew mine some more today and busted it up again.. Going to build a new airframe.. I've got some settings wrong or the DT700's are not so good for tricopteren..

I'm not sure what my problem is, I'm starting to think I've got a bad gyro as I replaced my ESC and the left motor is still dieing on me at really bad moments..
almost all motor cut out are a bad connection somewhere. Sometimes its were the motor wires enter the motor, under the shrink wrap. Sometimes its a solder joint at a bullet connector. I would reheat all your joints and flow some more solder in. I had a joint that looked good, didn't pull apart when tugged, but was the cause of 4 crashes.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 09:29 AM
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,374 Posts
Hey Bob,

As an FYI... I checked my ESC grounds last night and they're all good. Measured tone from ESC battery ground to ESC servo plug ground.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2010, 03:34 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by signguy View Post
almost all motor cut out are a bad connection somewhere. Sometimes its were the motor wires enter the motor, under the shrink wrap. Sometimes its a solder joint at a bullet connector. I would reheat all your joints and flow some more solder in. I had a joint that looked good, didn't pull apart when tugged, but was the cause of 4 crashes.

Yeh, I'll give that another shot..
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Oct 21, 2010, 06:15 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
here are the close ups Tim. The last one shows the connection board for the new copter. Its just the pins from the arduino kit, and perfboard from Radio Shack. two rows are soldered together + & - and the last row gets the signals from yaw, and the speed controls. The little connection board really tidied things up.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 10:23 PM
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,374 Posts
Bob, That's a whole lot cleaner than my setup at the moment. Thanks for all the help on this one! Can't wait to get it in the air. (Unfortunately, it'll have to wait until Sunday or Monday as I'm traveling this weekend.)

Well, here is a video of me firing up the T-Wii. I learned a valuable lesson while wiring this up. Don't reverse your ground and +5 going to the servo... I smoked it in a heart beat. DUH!

-Tim

It's Alive! T-Wii (2 min 27 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2010, 12:30 AM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Thats cool Tim

I just posted the sketch for the camera trigger on Alex's thread. It was not too difficult, but I did have the brackets in the wrong place for a while. I need to start really learning this. I can see a lot of other things to do with the rbbb's.

I put the sketch on the board that had the cooked processor. I bought a new one from Modern Device to replace it. I had cooked a couple pads off the board trying to desolder stuff, now it wll sit on the camera housing and be an interval timer.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 07:05 PM
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,374 Posts
Hey Bob,

Is this the line of code that adjusts motor idle speed at start up?

// *************************
// motor and servo functions
// *************************
#define MINCOMMAND 1000
#define MAXCOMMAND 1850
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2010, 04:54 PM
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,374 Posts
I'm back and figured the idle issue out...
It's in the first line of code.

(See pic)

Figured out the idle issue... (0 min 14 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2010, 08:24 PM
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,374 Posts
T-Wii Maiden... No trim adjustments & stock PID #'s

This thing is rock steady and will only get better as I fine tune the PID settings. The throttle control has to be the best feature. I was able to take it up 50+ feet and quickly come down with out any see-saw action. Amazing!

Thanks again Bob for all the help and thanks to Alexinparis for creating, testing, & sharing the code and GUI freely for all of us to enjoy.

-Tim

T-Wii Flys! Maiden Flight 10-24-10 (2 min 44 sec)
RCG Plus Member