HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by GimpyPilot, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 07:38 PM
T-28C, Extra 300, Beast UMX
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
529 Posts
Discussion
Fun Scale T-28B from PZ Trojan

My trusty PZ Trojan 'Slingshot Johnny II' suffered a pretty good crash a couple months ago and I recently decided to salvage as much as I could and to build another one.

This one will have flaps like the previous, but I will also add mechanical retracts and possibly a speedbrake, since when I picked up the parts for the new build I also picked up my new planned DX7. I may also include a non-actuated tailhook which would make it a T-28C.

I picked up a crapload of E-Flite lighting components. It will have semi-scale navigation and anti-collision lights (steady red on left wing, steady green on right wing, steady white on tail, two flashing white on wingtips, 2 flashing red, one top, one bottom) on one controller, and then a second Y'd into the retracts to activate a landing light on the nose gear when the gear are extended. I am putting in a Castle 10A BEC to handle the extra load.

This plane will be set up for a much more scale appearance, so the first thing I did was research panel lines, and external markings. Here are a couple of my references:

Like Slingshot Johnny II (named in honor of my Grandfather's nickname when he was in the running for the Heisman playing at Creighton back in '41), this new Trojan will once again be setup in VT-2 Doer Birds markings.

Attached are a few photos showing progress today on the panel lines and a gratuitous shot of Slingshot Johnny II when it was completed a year ago.

After this build, I plan to get one of Philip Workshops (PW-RC) T-45 Goshawk since it is almost the same scale and will continue my USN tribute. I plan to build it as a pusher though, I want longer flight times and compatibility with my existing batteries and charger.

I will also build one of the Starmax/BlitzRC 90mm F/A-18C's (also as a pusher) and will then I will try the F-5E again (also as a pusher).

All 4 planes are in approximately the same scale. If anyone ends up making a foamy F-14D in the same scale (1:10 - 1:12) I will jump on it too.

Here is the last one when I first completed it. I hope to make this new one much better!

GimpyPilot is offline Find More Posts by GimpyPilot
Last edited by GimpyPilot; Oct 16, 2010 at 07:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2010, 08:00 PM
T-28C, Extra 300, Beast UMX
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
529 Posts
I also plan to tint the canopy on this one. I tried out the canopy tint spray paint this afternoon on the old canopy and it looks killer - should really add some character.
GimpyPilot is offline Find More Posts by GimpyPilot