HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2011, 08:12 AM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpye View Post
just create a positive plug and put it on a block of wood ... put it in clear shrink tube for batteries and take the heatgun to shrink it to form ....
I had to read this a couple of times Harpye - your talking about canopies right - thats a brilliant idea.
deadbird is offline Find More Posts by deadbird
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2011, 06:22 PM
yes my thermal gogles are on
Ocala,Fla
Joined Jan 2009
335 Posts
will this same process work with epp? im assuming it would just take a different temp to get the foam soft enough
Roy!! is offline Find More Posts by Roy!!
Old Jan 28, 2011, 07:37 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy!! View Post
will this same process work with epp? im assuming it would just take a different temp to get the foam soft enough
Yes, it does. In my few tests, I've found that the EPP will squish down more so thicker foam is required to start with. It's also MUCH more flexable than depron after its molded. The surface detail also isn't as great, the thicker the foam is to start with, the better the detailing is but you'll always see the EPP grain. I also used about the same temps with EPP as depron in my tests.
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Old Feb 06, 2011, 08:00 PM
Hals und Beinbruch !!!!
Joined Aug 2002
731 Posts
check this out for a source of depron, still looking for virgin stuff im getting close.
http://www.restockit.com/genpak-8syl...-(8sylgp).html
lw_hughes is online now Find More Posts by lw_hughes
Old Feb 06, 2011, 08:09 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
I posted this request elsewhere but I am trying to locate a new supplier for FLAT 1mm depron that would send overseas to me here in Australia. Any links or leads would be great please.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Feb 06, 2011, 08:15 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
I posted this request elsewhere but I am trying to locate a new supplier for FLAT 1mm depron that would send overseas to me here in Australia. Any links or leads would be great please.
RCFOAM.com, have to see if they ship overseas. I got 10 sheets, I think $7.00? Great service and turnaround. The flat depron does curl some, like all depron 3mm on down, but has typical grain, and can be baked to stiffen or shape.
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Feb 06, 2011, 08:44 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
Thanks Fred, but their stuff curls too much. I got a huge parcel of it of all different types and sizes from them once. I gave 99% of it away as unusable.

I can get flat - and I mean flat as a tack, never been on a roll - 2mm from China but not 1mm.
Old Feb 06, 2011, 10:41 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Fred, but their stuff curls too much. I got a huge parcel of it of all different types and sizes from them once. I gave 99% of it away as unusable.

I can get flat - and I mean flat as a tack, never been on a roll - 2mm from China but not 1mm.
I bought 2 large floor tiles, porcillin is best. Mine are 20" x 20" and just fit the oven. Cost $2.79 each. Place them face to face with the depron between, heat to 195 F, let sit for 25-30 minutes, turn oven off. Do not remove the top tile until cool. Not only is the depron flat, but much 'stiffer'. I heard glass sheets work too, but glass is more expensive and can cut you fast when least expected. We all have our methods, just my way.
Old Feb 07, 2011, 12:04 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
I hear ya.

I use glass myself. I need the depron to be coated both sides for that stiffness you talk about to give me tensile strength. Maybe I'll do a minimum order and check out the quality.

Thanks for the feedback Fred.
Old Feb 07, 2011, 03:07 AM
Bangkok
Joined Oct 2007
1,633 Posts
Quote:

Where do you say you get the 2mm foam from? (I mean, China, duh!, but what supplier)
AleG is offline Find More Posts by AleG
Old Feb 07, 2011, 03:34 AM
Like a Boss
Canada, BC, Whistler
Joined Jun 2006
2,130 Posts
Ive been looking at rcfoam for depron.. thy used to have cellfoam 88.. but no longer.. now i hear its the same paper covered stuff sold at art stores... from what i read it has a thicker stronger skin.. which could allow it to be good for detail pickup...
Heliman420 is offline Find More Posts by Heliman420
Old Feb 07, 2011, 06:08 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
Well, I had good intent to buy. 8 bucks for 10 sheets... sounds fair enough.... 45 bucks for shipping.. sorry, too much...
Old Feb 08, 2011, 11:11 PM
Hals und Beinbruch !!!!
Joined Aug 2002
731 Posts
yeah those guys tried to kill me with shipping, its like ebay the silent gouger "shipping and handling"
lw_hughes is online now Find More Posts by lw_hughes
Old Feb 09, 2011, 07:18 AM
It's a spiderweb of knit lines
Souderton Pa. USA
Joined Mar 2002
2,649 Posts
I got got 50 sheets of various sizes and assorted other little stuff for $16 shipping and handling from RCFoam. Seems like a fair price to me, considering the size of the box. Of course it's probably $16 even for 10 sheets due to box size.
Dave, try sending them an e-mail. If you don't need full sheets perhaps shipping half way around the world maybe cheaper in a half size box. The foam will be curled, it comes off rolls so the closer to the top the less the curl.
mcross is offline Find More Posts by mcross
Old Feb 09, 2011, 11:12 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Dave,

I could re-ship for you because I have FedEx business account. The problem is domestic shipping to me, then international to you probably wouldn't save much if anything.

If I was in need of foam, we could pro-rate the costs to me, but I have plenty of supply. Maybe someone else is in that status right now??? Hint, hint.

Fred