SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 23, 2012, 01:07 PM
Joined Mar 2012
59 Posts
Wayne, Your inbox is full!

Payment made thank you.
Andy from Sandy is offline Find More Posts by Andy from Sandy
Last edited by Andy from Sandy; Mar 23, 2012 at 01:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2012, 07:52 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2 Posts
Hi Wayne
I saw mention of your ESR meter in April edition of BMFA news. They got the captions reversed by the way. I would like to buy one of these units please so please send me contact details.
Cheers Mike
mike hadaway is offline Find More Posts by mike hadaway
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:53 AM
Rugby, UK
Joined Feb 2007
899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike hadaway View Post
Hi Wayne
I saw mention of your ESR meter in April edition of BMFA news. They got the captions reversed by the way. I would like to buy one of these units please so please send me contact details.
Cheers Mike
Mike,

I will send a PM with details.
They must have a dyslexic editor at BMFA News or they have got it in for me; the last time Bob Smith used any information I supplied they did exactly the same thing!
Btw the unit shown is Bob's which is the older manual one, the new one has auto mode changing - see post 249 on this thread.

Wayne
Wayne Giles is online now Find More Posts by Wayne Giles
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:10 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2 Posts
Wayne

Thank for details. Paypal payment sent.

Mike
mike hadaway is offline Find More Posts by mike hadaway
Old Apr 18, 2012, 05:32 PM
lac superieur - chemin le pointe croix
Joined Apr 2008
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Giles View Post
They must have a dyslexic editor at BMFA News or they have got it in for me; the last time Bob Smith used any information I supplied they did exactly the same thing!
Truly unfortunate ... wish you nothing but the best.
microwave is offline Find More Posts by microwave
Old Jun 17, 2012, 06:55 AM
Joined May 2010
31 Posts
IR tester

Hello Wayne,

Short Story: May I too order a LIPO IR meter- please send payment details (I am in the UK).

Long Story: Was going to buy a Cellpro etc for IR measurement capability but costy and not that powerful. Think I will get one of your IR monitors and a more powerful charger.

Thanks, Adam
goldenduff is offline Find More Posts by goldenduff
Old Jun 17, 2012, 05:44 PM
Rugby, UK
Joined Feb 2007
899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenduff View Post
Hello Wayne,

Short Story: May I too order a LIPO IR meter- please send payment details (I am in the UK).

Long Story: Was going to buy a Cellpro etc for IR measurement capability but costy and not that powerful. Think I will get one of your IR monitors and a more powerful charger.

Thanks, Adam
Adam,

PM sent re cost and delivery.
Prejudiced of course, but it is better at measuring IR than a charger, but useless for charging batteries!

Wayne
Old Jul 08, 2012, 10:18 PM
r/c addict
USA, LA, DeRidder
Joined Jul 2004
202 Posts
hi wayne pm sent for order and information thanks
nitrodude71 is offline Find More Posts by nitrodude71
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:00 PM
The 6 P principle works for me
Ventura CA
Joined Aug 2007
980 Posts
Hi Wayne. Just wanted to say thank you for a great product. I got mine from Dave at Progressive R/C. It is an Eye Opener! It is easy to use and and in checking known good and bad batteries, the numbers do not lie! Thank you again for a great product!

P.S. in checking many different lipo brands, I have yet to find one capable of better than 35C discharge. Have you found any lipo batteries capable of better than 35C discharge?

Michael
elecfryer is online now Find More Posts by elecfryer
Last edited by elecfryer; Jul 13, 2012 at 11:02 PM. Reason: added question
Old Jul 14, 2012, 03:26 AM
Rugby, UK
Joined Feb 2007
899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elecfryer View Post
Hi Wayne. Just wanted to say thank you for a great product. I got mine from Dave at Progressive R/C. It is an Eye Opener! It is easy to use and and in checking known good and bad batteries, the numbers do not lie! Thank you again for a great product!

P.S. in checking many different lipo brands, I have yet to find one capable of better than 35C discharge. Have you found any lipo batteries capable of better than 35C discharge?

Michael
Michael,

Thanks very much for your kind words on the meter.

In reply to your 35C discharge question, the answer is 'NO' and your limit of 35C is just about spot on.
I believe all these claims by different makers using different methods to determine 'C' ratings is all smoke and mirrors and, in any case, irrelevant.

Any logical user will interpret 'Max Continuous Discharge' as the current at which a lipo can be continuously discharged without damage and without showing stress in the form of excessive temperature rise or volt drop.

The very best lipos I have tested have been capable of just about 35C and although there are many I have not tested, they would need to display a step change in IR to be capable of these wild claims of 50C, 65C and even 150C.

I have found that the meter in conjunction with the the lipo tool (http://www.jj604.com/LiPoTool/) to be a surprisingly accurate and consistent method of forecasting 'real C' ratings for lipos

Wayne
Old Jul 14, 2012, 04:56 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Yep I'm loving the meter too, had it for a while now and finding I'm using it more and more. As Wayne says, combined with jj604's tool it's super easy to start to get an idea what the packs are really capable of instead of what the manufacturer claims or even just those packs that you haven't had a use for in ages. You can pull them out check them out and decide if they are up to the task or not, I've been surprised at how well some old packs that have sat for long periods have come out. It really impresses me that once you've tested out some various packs and then check them out on the wattmeter the ones you expect to perform better actually do and the one's you thought might be border line for your application end up being shelved for a less demanding application. I'm sure it's saved me puffing a good few lipo's already.

Wayne, I know we've spoken about it before but I'm interested in being able to test smaller sized packs, down to the UM packs and even 1S packs. I know you said that it was pretty easy to change something on the meter to make it handle lower capacity packs but as the idea of damaging my meter scares me wondered if you'd be interested in modifying one for me. I'd like to purchase another meter from you for this purpose and obviously would pay for any extra costs.

Dan
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Jul 14, 2012, 05:23 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,883 Posts
Dan, small point of attribution. It was actually Mark Forsyth who developed the tool as an Excel spreadsheet - I just put it up on my web site.

I use just such a modified Waynemeter and some time ago did some comprehensive testing of the 1S 130 and 160mAh cells. It was one of the early prototypes and is modified to use either the normal 16A or alternatively 1.6A for small cells. I'm sure Wayne will oblige.

Works a treat but the one issue is connections. It is almost impossible to arrange 4 wire connections to these UM cells without disassembling the connector. As a result you can only really do pack IR and you have to be careful about the resistance drop in the crappy Molex connector they use. I have taken to using a good contact cleaner when I test 1S now.

It is a brilliant gadget though. Went to an indoor meet a week ago and sorted out over two dozen cells of various histories and vintages that were lying around into Good, OK for a Vapor, and Trash in the space of 5 minutes.

Imagine doing that by load testing them all!

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
Yep I'm loving the meter too, had it for a while now and finding I'm using it more and more. As Wayne says, combined with jj604's tool it's super easy to start to get an idea what the packs are really capable of instead of what the manufacturer claims or even just those packs that you haven't had a use for in ages. You can pull them out check them out and decide if they are up to the task or not, I've been surprised at how well some old packs that have sat for long periods have come out. It really impresses me that once you've tested out some various packs and then check them out on the wattmeter the ones you expect to perform better actually do and the one's you thought might be border line for your application end up being shelved for a less demanding application. I'm sure it's saved me puffing a good few lipo's already.

Wayne, I know we've spoken about it before but I'm interested in being able to test smaller sized packs, down to the UM packs and even 1S packs. I know you said that it was pretty easy to change something on the meter to make it handle lower capacity packs but as the idea of damaging my meter scares me wondered if you'd be interested in modifying one for me. I'd like to purchase another meter from you for this purpose and obviously would pay for any extra costs.

Dan
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Jul 14, 2012, 06:16 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
Dan, small point of attribution. It was actually Mark Forsyth who developed the tool as an Excel spreadsheet - I just put it up on my web site.

I use just such a modified Waynemeter and some time ago did some comprehensive testing of the 1S 130 and 160mAh cells. It was one of the early prototypes and is modified to use either the normal 16A or alternatively 1.6A for small cells. I'm sure Wayne will oblige.

Works a treat but the one issue is connections. It is almost impossible to arrange 4 wire connections to these UM cells without disassembling the connector. As a result you can only really do pack IR and you have to be careful about the resistance drop in the crappy Molex connector they use. I have taken to using a good contact cleaner when I test 1S now.

It is a brilliant gadget though. Went to an indoor meet a week ago and sorted out over two dozen cells of various histories and vintages that were lying around into Good, OK for a Vapor, and Trash in the space of 5 minutes.

Imagine doing that by load testing them all!

John
Thanks for putting me right on the tool developer John and thanks for putting it on your site. I have it bookmarked on my phone, it's great to be able to pull it up at the field.

About testing the 1S packs, might it be more accurate in that case then to make up a harness with a balance tab to effectively make them into a 2S then use the cell probe to take the actual reading?

Switching between 16A test load and 1.6 sounds great and would mean I only have to carry the one meter. You might have just done Wayne out of a sale though

Dan
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Jul 14, 2012, 07:54 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,883 Posts
Dan see comments in text.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
About testing the 1S packs, might it be more accurate in that case then to make up a harness with a balance tab to effectively make them into a 2S then use the cell probe to take the actual reading?

Sounds a good way to go. I do something similar to check the little cells at the field. I made up a 6 way UM socket connector from 6 of the HK UM extension wires with a 6S balance connector on the other end. Plug the 6S into one of those 6S LiPo checkers with the big LED display and as long as you have at least two 1S plugged into cell 1 and cell2, it reads out the cell voltages one after another. Great for sorting out the fully charged ones in a hurry.

Switching between 16A test load and 1.6 sounds great and would mean I only have to carry the one meter. You might have just done Wayne out of a sale though:roll eyes:

Don't think so. You need to be nice to Wayne to get him to specially modify the meter to do both 16A and 1.6A. This will involve the exchange of money. He is a very nice person but no fool.
Dan
Old Jul 14, 2012, 09:30 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,883 Posts
Update

Dan, thinking some more on this I realise the balance connector solution won't help.

The problem is that the UM style connectors are the ONLY access to the 1S cells. So even if you put two in series and applied the load through the ends of the 2S pack, each cell still has the full connector resistance in the balance leads. it is not a four wire system. The IR you measure will still include the connector resistance and you are no better off than measuring the pack resistance of a single cell.

See if this makes sense. Conventional 2S battery on the left. Voltage is measured through balance leads, current is negligible therefore balance lead resistance is unimportant. Um type 1S cells on right connected to a 2S balance lead. Connector resistance is in the measuring circuit and voltage drop is significant.

Note that on the plus side, the IR of these small cells is high (100's of mOhm} so that helps a bit.

John