HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 25, 2011, 08:04 AM
KJ4WFG
United States, SC, York
Joined Dec 2007
559 Posts
This is a cool thread, guys. But then, you already knew that. I don't understand why everybody that flys electric, which is abunchafolks, aren't really into this. I've had to stumble onto the fact that Gens Ace is turning out some really nice products, and that Nano-Tech is not what I expected it to be from flight experience and subjective things like "those Gens Ace packs are hard as a brick", which probably has nothing to do with IR (taking a breath).

I still have to work through this thread from the beginning to see what's already been covered. An immediate question from the last 3 or 4 pages is "what characteristic of a LiPo pack makes it a Tx pack? I know that it has a different connector to fit into the Tx, but otherwise, why do they seem to be low-end packs priced expensively? And do they really come with a serial fuse in line?
modbuilder is offline Find More Posts by modbuilder
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2011, 09:55 AM
Skint since 2000
Reading, United Kingdom
Joined Oct 2008
1,497 Posts
I'm lookkng forward to getting oen of these and analysin my Lipo collection which are almost all turnigy both regular and some nanotech, I'm plannign to pick up some Gens Ace for my 450 and it helps that theres a uk distributor now

Please Pm me when there available Wayne, The monye is waiting
ghost2212 is online now Find More Posts by ghost2212
Old Nov 30, 2011, 07:09 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Any news yet Wayne? It's pay day
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Nov 30, 2011, 07:50 AM
Rugby, UK
Joined Feb 2007
866 Posts
Dan,

Nearly ready - will post in the next few days.
Have sent you a PM.

Wayne
Wayne Giles is online now Find More Posts by Wayne Giles
Old Nov 30, 2011, 12:23 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Thanks Wayne responded and looking forward to it
Old Dec 02, 2011, 08:21 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,910 Posts
Wayne,
I have used your meter for awhile now, and I love it. I have a lot of electrics, and this is an important tool. It has paid for itself many times over.

Some of the guys in my club are interested in a group order. Do you have about six in stock yet?
--Tony
tclaridge is offline Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Dec 02, 2011, 12:27 PM
It's all fun till Crunch!
InSane Diego
Joined Jan 2002
1,955 Posts
Can't get order or get hold of;

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
David is the US distro for Wayne's awesome little gadget.

http://www.progressiverc.com/esr-meter.html

Mark
Billing page on web site doesn't work, doesn't answer the phone.

David just called, all OK now.
Capt. Crunch is online now Find More Posts by Capt. Crunch
Last edited by Capt. Crunch; Dec 02, 2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old Dec 02, 2011, 03:51 PM
Rugby, UK
Joined Feb 2007
866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclaridge View Post
Wayne,
I have used your meter for awhile now, and I love it. I have a lot of electrics, and this is an important tool. It has paid for itself many times over.

Some of the guys in my club are interested in a group order. Do you have about six in stock yet?
--Tony
Tony,

Thanks for positive feedback; always pleased to hear that other people find it so useful.
Have sent a PM on the availability.

Wayne
Old Dec 03, 2011, 07:18 AM
Rugby, UK
Joined Feb 2007
866 Posts
NEW AUTOMETER VERSION NOW AVAILABLE.

I now have a small batch of the updated version of the meter completed and available. The new version is essentially the same as the original except for the automatic mode change from ‘Pack’ mode to ‘Cell’ mode when the search wire is inserted into the balance connector.
Accuracy and performance is unaffected and the unit is still protected against reverse connection on both power and search wire inputs whilst the unit is more convenient to use. A copy of the specification and instructions for use is attached as a Word document.
Despite my efforts to minimise costs, the price has had to increase although shipping costs have fallen slightly. The previous source of very cheap displays has disappeared and component costs have risen way ahead of inflation.
I am not intending to make any significant profits from the project as it is just a hobby, but it must at least break even. Obviously I am prejudiced but I believe that the information it produces for the serious flyer will more than return costs in separating the wheat from the chaff in the lipo world.
You can ignore the “C” rating on the pack and measure its real capability in a few seconds.

Prices are now:-

----------------------------US Dollars------UK Pounds------Euros

Unit Price----------------$85.00------------48.50----------E63.70

P&P + Insurance--------$12.20------------3.90------------E7.30
---------------------(To USA + ROW)----(To UK)-------To Europe)

Paypal please although I can take UK cheques.
Will be pleased to answer any questions.
PM me if you want one and I will return e-mail address

Wayne
Last edited by Wayne Giles; Jul 09, 2014 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Price change in USD and Euros to compensate currency rates
Old Dec 03, 2011, 08:35 AM
Ignint McNugget
behind Jaggi lines
Joined Jan 2004
907 Posts
Nice improvement - I'm glad to see the pack/cell switch taken out.

My favorite tool in my box right now...
Rumple is offline Find More Posts by Rumple
Old Dec 03, 2011, 09:19 AM
Norcross, GA
Joined Dec 2005
253 Posts
I ordered one today from ProgressiveRC. Thanks for developing this very useful tool. I am sure I will be checking a lot of LiPos
George Royal
Secretary/Treasurer
Stone Mountain Radio Control Flyers (smrcf.com)
ggroyal1117 is offline Find More Posts by ggroyal1117
Old Dec 03, 2011, 09:19 AM
Stone Mountain, GA
Joined May 2007
409 Posts
PM Sent

Looks like a very Merry Christmas
dgfinch is offline Find More Posts by dgfinch
Old Dec 03, 2011, 10:44 AM
who dares wins
London,England
Joined Apr 2005
1,803 Posts
The best tool in my electric field box!
like2fly! is online now Find More Posts by like2fly!
Old Dec 03, 2011, 11:49 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Got mine today, thanks Wayne.

I'm very impressed with the appearance and feel of the meter and the very easy operation. I love the fact that it is very cottage industry and not mass produced, the designer himself has sat there and built them by hand and then calibrated each individual one, that in itself is worth the money to me.

When I got out to the shed the first thing I did was change the Deans connector to my chosen 4mm gold connectors for my bigger packs and made up some adapters so I can use my charge leads for other connectors such as the jst's on my smaller packs. This should also mean it will be easy to use it on other peoples packs who might use different connectors though it will mean there is extra resistance to take into account from the extra wiring in pack mode.

I then set about testing my packs which had all been sitting together so temperature difference didn't effect it when comparing my packs like for like. I will need to get myself an accurate thermometer so I can attempt to take readings at the same temperature over time.

Instead of trying to type out all my readings I've attached a picture of my scribblings. Notice the Max Poly 900mah 20C 3S packs, these are my oldest packs and though they still have enough power to fly the model they are for I had been thinking about replacing them. The other thing I notice is the difference of the sum of cell resistance and the pack resistance is much higher on my small packs with jst connector, maybe it's time to switch over to 2mm golds? or is this just down to using my charge lead to connect it to the meter? it is a high quality lead though it is quite long.

If you can make any sense of my scribblings I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on them. Unfortunately the only other bit of information that would be useful for you is the ambient temperature but unfortunately I can't measure it at the minute.
Old Dec 03, 2011, 12:31 PM
Skint since 2000
Reading, United Kingdom
Joined Oct 2008
1,497 Posts
Mine arrived today as well

Only just got back from work but will solder some 4mm bullets so I can just use charge leads instead of making a set of adapters. Once this is done I'll post up some results from my various packs.

Not sure on others preference but I wouldnt bother with the deans connector as its not the most commen connector anymore IMO
ghost2212 is online now Find More Posts by ghost2212